Truck/Tractor binos?

Trees91

WKR
Looking for a pair of cheaper binos to keep in my pickup year round and to keep in the tractor/combine during spring and fall work. Last couple days I've seen a few decent whitetails and crazy enough a small bull moose (not too common in South Dakota) and of course I didn't have any binos.

I want something reasonable priced with decent optics....I've spoiled myself the last couple years and have gotten accustom to good binos....so I don't want something disappointing to look through.

I'm kinda leaning towards a maven c series 8x42 but was wondering what else is out there? Maybe the compact C series 7x28 or a 6.5x kowa??

Let me know what you guys think.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Thought about diamondbacks. Had a set long ago, first generation I think. Never worked for me, maybe a misalignment issues but they would make my head spin after looking through them.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I had the maven C 10x42 and just demoed the 7x28. I really didn't care for either one. I also just demoed the B series 8x30 and the glass was great. They are getting into the mid-range price of $500 though.
I was looking for some truck knockers and something I didn't mind beating up climbing up and down trees in archery season. I settled on the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x30. For $230 they are hard to beat. They aren't great, they don't even begin to compare to my Leicas but they fit the nitche that I need them to.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I've been looking at the 8x30 mavens. Kinda a lot of coin for something that'll get banged around....but they should be tough...and they have a good warranty.

One thing I get concerned with is the heat in the cab during the summer. I had a pair of leupold bx4s that got hot enough to melt the glue on the eye cups so they would just spin while trying to extend them....and maybe that would happen with any Bino.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I thought that the glass was great but the body left a bit to be desired. The ones that I demoed kept loosing the eyecups. I would find them and snap them back on but they would just fall off again....I eventually lost one completely and had to send them back without it. Also, the middle adjustment knob was loose. I would focus them and put them down, when I picked them back up, I would have to refocus.
Definitely demo a set before you purchase. I demoed both at the same time with the thought that if the 7x28 were okay, I would keep them and send the 8's back (or vice versa). But I didn't really like either one... If the 8's were cheaper I could have lived with them just to get that glass.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

mthayr

WKR
Get the 6.5x32 Kowas - you won't be disappointed, they are exactly what you described for me, my truck binos. The exit pupil is nice and big so they will still work well at pre-dawn/dusk, much better than 7x28's or 8x32's. For reference my main binos are SLCs.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I've been eye balling the bd 2 6.5s for a solid year or more...they seem a little hit and miss with reviews. Some love them some really don't care for them. I should just give them a shot.. the fov numbers are crazy.

MTNBOYJD

FNG
I like to have some cheap binos in each vehicle. Picked up a 10x Stiener compact from Goodwill for about $15.
Have some Simmons and Bushnell that get kicked around also. Disposable. Saves my good ones. I'm cheap.

mthayr

WKR
I've been eye balling the bd 2 6.5s for a solid year or more...they seem a little hit and miss with reviews. Some love them some really don't care for them. I should just give them a shot.. the fov numbers are crazy.
Ping gra8fuldoug from CameraLand NY - that's where I bought them. He'll probably be able to cut you a deal and its free shipping and no tax.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
Something with an aqua-phobic coating because sometimes the truck/tractor is real cold (fogging). The only cheaper brand I know that comes with that quality is Bushnell (used to be called Rainguard and now I believe its Exo something or another).

wyosteve

WKR
I use Swaro CL Companion for my truck binos. Very pleased with them. Not overly expensive if you find a used set.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t go wrong with vortex diamondbacks for that. Free fix/replacement if you run them over too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Second Vortex. Not only great glass for the money but can’t beat their customer service. I’ve lost parts and they will send replacements free of charge even though it was my fault. Great company.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

go_deep

WKR
That's exactly the place for vortex, and it's the only place I have a pair myself.

nphunter

WKR
I use Vortex Viper HD's in my work truck, they've been sitting on my dash out of a case in my front window for 5yrs now and have been great, the anodized rings have faded but the rubber has held up great and they are decent glass if you want to spend a little bit extra over some of the cheaper models mentioned.