Trying to decide.. Pack duct or tenacious tape, or both

jm1607

WKR
What do you guys think?

I'm already taking 1-2 tenacious patches in case my pad gets a hole in it..

I feel like taking tenacious tape and duct tape is a little redundant.. Tenacious tape is stronger but it weighs more than duct tape so I'd have to take less.. I think 2ft of tenacious is equal to about 10-15ft of duct tape??

Is there anything duct tape can do that tenacious tape can't?

Can duct tape fix my sil tarp and/or sleeping pad in a pinch for a couple days?

Last edited:

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I just carry a roll of Leukotape and a tent and pad patch kit which weigh nothing. Ditched the duct tape a few years ago.

Tenacious tape might not work as well as Duct Tape for repairing a tent pole. That's about the only thing I can think of that Duct Tape would do better. TT is obviously far better than DT at fixing holes and being waterproof.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
I'm already taking some leuko tape.. Maybe I'll do the same, take 2 patches and ditch both

I just carry a roll of Leukotape and a tent and pad patch kit which weigh nothing. Ditched the duct tape a few years ago.
Ditching duct tape seemed like blasphemy to me, but I now see your point. I bought some of this tape after your comment. It is strong, sticks very well, and apparently is water resistant and good for blisters. It seems lighter than duct tape also. It may not be great for patching but it is worth having in your pack.

dotman

WKR
I always have duct tape, wrap a foot and a half length just below the handles on each of my trekking poles. Luekotape is always in the pack as well.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the L tape for quite a few things with no issues. It and the tent and pad repair patches is about 1/2 the weight of a partial roll of duct tape with the center removed..
Ditching duct tape seemed like blasphemy to me, but I now see your point. I bought some of this tape after your comment. It is strong, sticks very well, and apparently is water resistant and good for blisters. It seems lighter than duct tape also. It may not be great for patching but it is worth having in your pack.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I wrap 1" wide duct tape around a lighter then electrician's tape around the remainder. works great I usually don't need a lot.