Turkey shells 12 gauge bang for you buck

I'm sure I could find a bunch of threads, but we're moving right now and time is super short. I need to pick up some shells for a hunt we are going on.

I was thinking bigger shot size, but some at cabelas are 7 and 9 shot.

What do I want in the way of shot size, etc?

Specific recommendations of shells that are good bang for the buck are welcome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
When I shot store bought shells, I shot Nitros 4x5x7. They were awesome in my 12ga. Now, I handload TSS and shoot #7.5s.

weaver

WKR
Lot of people around here shoot Winchester xr #6s
I prefer hevi 13 #7s but it all depends on what your gun shoots well.
Hevi-shot costs twice as much but its negligible once you have the gun patterned and it's only a couple shots a year at turkeys.
You can also use cheap shells to get your poi close.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot fiochii golden pheasant loads in 5 shot the last 8 years. 3 inch loads. I usually hunt archery most of the season, but will use shotgun if I'm with friends or taking my kids out. My shots are usually 40 yards and under. My son's taken two birds with 5 shot golden pheasant out of a 20 gauge.

OP
silverbullet555
Thanks for the insight. School principal's husband is taking my son out for a youth hunt. Son gets first shot, but I get 2nd.

Jimss

WKR
I harvest 3 to 10 toms a year in multiple states and have great results with Longbeard 6's. Most of my shots are in the 15 to 45 yard range. I've found that if I can get within 40 yards and make a good shot that every shot is a dead bird. I don't miss very often....and if I do it's not due to the shell it's because of me! I would have missed the shot with every shell made! The one thing I've learned over the years is not to take shots longer than 50 yards and make sure I take my time and line up a great kill shot. If I wait things out for a good shot it usually ends up in success!

When I first started turkey hunting I watched quite a few youtube videos on shell comparison and reviews. Some of them compared shot sizes and different shell manufactors. From what I remember #6 hold their pattern better at long range and had more pellets on a turkey head than larger shot (4's and 5's). There is more shot/shell in 6''s vs 4 or 5's.

Buffered and moly-coated pellets produce a denser pattern than conventional shot. Hevi-Shot broke the World Record with a pattern that scored 42 pellet holes in a 3" circle at 40 yards, and holds world record titles in every class! It also delivers 20% more knockdown energy and up to 40% longer range than lead shells. HEVI-13 pellets are about 20% denser than lead and penetrate far deeper. Is it worth the high price/shell....the choice is yours to have the ability to shoot a little farther? Most of the toms I shoot are almost too close and I often have to wait for them to move farther out to shoot.

Longbeard shells are no slouch. Shot-Lok™ Technology, your shot is protected during in-bore acceleration, launching the round in a near-perfect circle for hard-hitting and extremely tight long-range patterns. The results – 10% greater penetration over standard lead loads beyond 50 yds and twice the number of pellets in a 10" circle out to 60 yds.

Longbeards are medium priced. The past few years there are always mail in rebaits for a couple $ off. If you ask me, it's really not worth double the price for the high dollar shells.....I've had great success with Longbeard 6's so will likely continue using them unless there is significant price drop in other shells.

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve had good luck with the Winchester Xtended Range shells. I prefer the #4 or 5 shot. They group as well, and hit hard as far out as the much more expensive Hevi-shot.

Another vote for Winchester XR’s. I use the #5s in mine. Here’s my 2019 Montana Merriam that took a face full of XR’s.

Attachments

• DAE72404-B547-4CEA-8730-FF806418DEF6.jpeg
    DAE72404-B547-4CEA-8730-FF806418DEF6.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 33

hobbes

WKR
Longbeards are hard to beat in a lead ammo. You have to take a big step in price to get an improvement. I stayed in the lead camp for about 25 years. Just know that they can be incredibly tight at close range.

If you really break down costs, the finances for a $2 shell vs a $8 shell isn't that much when you shoot maybe 5 shells a season ($10 vs $40). It's still difficult to spend when most birds I kill are 30 yards or closer and dead is dead (said that a lot of times). I have, however, jumped on the TSS handloading bandwagon. I've avoided testing at long range and haven't went for insane pellet counts, but instead a great pattern at 40 that isn't a single projectile at 15.

OP
silverbullet555
I went ahead ordered xr shells in 5 and 6 also a xr choke. Cabelas had 10% off today, plus $3 rebate per box, active junky and 15% off gift cards made it worthwhile.

AJ has the wrong amount so I will see how that works out. Usually goes ok.