UA clothes?

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I really can't find much in the way of reviews on UA stuff other than a couple famous guys wear it. Anyone have an 1st hand experience that they want to share.

I have several items. I think for the price and light weight / backpack hunting you can do much better with other brands. I do like some of the newer Ridge Reaper stuff. For example I have the gore wind stopper vest and love it. I also have some older pieces that I use when I’m hunting from a camp where weight and bulk isn’t an issue. One thing about Under Armour that is both good and bad is they constantly change their line of hunting clothes. Bad part is you find something you like then never see it again. Good part is almost every item of theirs I’ve bought have been “ last years “ and found them at significant discounts. This probably wasn’t very helpful but if you have a question about a specific piece i might get be able to help.

Drenalin

WKR
I had a stealth extreme jacket (wool/poly blend...mostly poly) that was really good. It had some insulation, and the outer shell was fairly quiet. No hood. Of course, they stopped making it. They also made an early season hoodie that was decent, but once that thing started to stink I could never wash it enough to get the BO smell out. I wear one of their 3.0 base layer tops as an everyday piece in winter now, but their other stuff didn't work well for me in hiking/hunting situations. Under Armour has always made me feel clammy, even though it seems to move moisture well. I also don't like the fit of their loose items...they are kind of boxy for me, and too short in the arms.

I've had some pieces that did their job for the sale price I paid but there are definitely more versatile and reliable options out there...politics aside, I think this picture pretty much sums up my current views on their hunting line.

x5aJhF5.jpg

Reactions: WCS

JRMiller

WKR
I have a few of their items. They are "ok".
Like oldschool67 said, their biggest asset is the discounts you can find on them. I never paid more than %50 below retail on all my stuff.
It always seems like they have one foot out of the hunting apparel line too and may drop it at any time

I have tons of the ridge reaper series camo and I love it I have the Barron, Forest , and Snow series camo. Some Goretex and wind stopper gear as well. They all do a great job. I ranch Buffalo in Northwest Wisconsin and use it for work a ton too. My late season gear is amazing to have hunting whitetail in negative numbers. I'm from Southeast Texas near the beach where I hunt hogs in 115+ heat and this gear works amazing they have such a variety of gear for every season. I've played with the under armour gear for a while now and its proven itself very much. Hope this helps12634.jpeg

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lot of UA hunting stuff because I get it at a steep military discount. My issue is that all of the sizing/cut/fit is incredibly inconsistent across the line. I can't get the same size in any two different items. I have pants that range from 30-34 inch waist, and shirts anywhere from XL to M but they all fit the same. I've learned to modify some of the stuff and ignore the rest if it doesn't effect function. It's almost like they don't have anyone on staff that actually hunts or something. I can say that I think the patterns are effective and the performance seems to be fine. It's just the cut and fit that I have issues with

Flaboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a handful of pieces of UA. A super lightweight shirt I use during bow season(Sept-Oct here) that dries fast, a beanie, and a set of their heat gear base layers. Im happy with the stuff I have

I really can't find much in the way of reviews on UA stuff other than a couple famous guys wear it. Anyone have an 1st hand experience that they want to share.
Haven’t read what others said but I’ll offer that it’s some of the better stuff once you adjust for price. Pretty sure some Leathernecks on here use is like @Team4LongGun so that’s a good testimony.

I’m about 6’3” 220 lbs in my 40s and ran maybe 1200 miles in a year at a fast clip (7.5) before my hip went out. I wear a lot of UA gear not necessarily by choice. Near as I can tell it’s better for the wear than than all the bromance stuff that I have from Sitka and FL. Like Savage rifles, you won’t be that cool so be careful 🤣

Only issue I have with under Armour is it tends to hold a stink after a couple years. But maybe the new stuff is better idk?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think I've had every single brand of base layer and there's frankly nothing that I would choose over my UA cold gear leggings/compression shirt.

UA changed the game in compressionwear 20+ years ago, and as soon as that transitioned into the hunting world, they revolutionized base layering as we know it. I really do think they're still the head of the class. I've been hunting over 20 years and have run entire marathons in their compression gear, and I don't have a single negative thing to say about them. I guess after about 50 washes, the gummy waist of the leggings can get a little wavy.

Now, every mid or outer layer that they sell that isn't goretex will suck water like a sponge and might not fit the best. As noted earlier, their sizing tends to be all over the place but their clothes are fairly indestructible. I shed hunt at least 100 miles a year in the northeast, in country that is loaded with multiflora rose thicket and dense brush - the UA will take that abuse when any of my Sitka stuff would shred like wet toilet paper. I beat it through miles of blackbear drives, days of farm work and season after season of whitetail hunting. It's durable. And warm (as long as it's dry).

But when it fails (and it will) - UA has always fully warranted everything that I've ever owned. Zippers break, hems come unsewn, colors fade, etc. Their website says that their logo is their warranty, and on numerous occasions, I've personally had them stand behind it.

If I had to put my life on the line in a backpacking situation, I'd trust their cold gear base layers above all others, but I'd lean toward the tech fabrics and heat-mapped gear offerings of the western companies for mid-outer layers.