Ultra 7 Gen 2 or?????

jeremyks

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to purchase my first suppressor. Using it for hunting on various calibers. Is there another suppressor other than the Ultra 7 Gen 2 that I should consider?

renagde

WKR
TBAC seems to have a flawless reputation. I have my first supressor, a TBAC Dominus, sitting in jail right now. Buy once cry once seems to be the sentiment.

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm not a suppressor expert, but from all the feedback I could find online, it seems like everyone loves the TBAC Ultra 7 as a do-it-all suppressor for anything 30-cal and down. I just ordered one last week to go with my 30-cal bolt guns and AR-15.

If you want advice tailored to your needs, I recommend you list what calibers, rifles, and uses you intend for your suppressor and let people much smarter than me chime in with recommendations that best suit your requirements.

B23

WKR
IMO, the TBAC Ultra Gen2 suppressor is the gold standard and what all others are compared to. Doesn't mean other companies don't make good suppressors too. If I wasn't going to buy a Ultra Gen2 my second choice would be the Banish 30 which, arguably, has benefits to it over the TBAC Ultra7 Gen2.

OP
J

jeremyks

Lil-Rokslider
TBAC seems to have a flawless reputation. I have my first supressor, a TBAC Dominus, sitting in jail right now. Buy once cry once seems to be the sentiment.
I orginally was thinking the Dominus but with the updates on the Gen 2 Ultra the only advantage I see is that its a tad shorter?

OP
J

jeremyks

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a suppressor expert, but from all the feedback I could find online, it seems like everyone loves the TBAC Ultra 7 as a do-it-all suppressor for anything 30-cal and down. I just ordered one last week to go with my 30-cal bolt guns and AR-15.

If you want advice tailored to your needs, I recommend you list what calibers, rifles, and uses you intend for your suppressor and let people much smarter than me chime in with recommendations that best suit your requirements.
223- up to 300 prc Use will be coyote hunting to big game hunting.

OP
J

jeremyks

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, the TBAC Ultra Gen2 suppressor is the gold standard and what all others are compared to. Doesn't mean other companies don't make good suppressors too. If I wasn't going to buy a Ultra Gen2 my second choice would be the Banish 30 which, arguably, has benefits to it over the TBAC Ultra7 Gen2.
What do you like about the Banish 30?

B23

WKR
What do you like about the Banish 30?
The Banish 30 can be run in either a 7 or 9 inch length. It's nearly as light as the Ultra Gen2 and almost as quiet which is saying something considering the Ultra Gen2 series cans are pretty freakin lightweight and quiet. Also, the Banish 30 is a take apart design and for some that's a big plus, I don't happen to be one of those but some certainly put value in it.

I've been lucky enough to work a shooting school where I've seen quite a lot of different suppressors used. Thunderbeast makes some seriously good cans and the Ultra 7 is never a bad choice. But I'd rate a couple other brands as solid as well, ones that I thought seemed very much in the same league as Thunderbeast. I'd look at both Q and Dead Air. Both are making some very good cans. I've shot them all myself, and also stood on the line as they were being shot, and I think those 3 brands always seemed extremely solid. Especially like the Q Half & Full Nelson and the Dead Air Nomad & Nomad L. Before the Nomad L, I thought the Ultra 9 was the quietest can I'd heard on the line. Regardless, the Ultra's you mentioned are pretty dang good.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
For those that have the TBAC, do you run the direct thread or CB mount?

I am trying to find an Ultra 7 available to purchase and don't know which mount is best for switching between two rifles.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
For those that have the TBAC, do you run the direct thread or CB mount?

I am trying to find an Ultra 7 available to purchase and don't know which mount is best for switching between two rifles.
I use direct thread and have self-timed brakes for the rifles that are not using the can. Makes for easy swapping. The Thunderbeast brakes weigh 2.3-3.5oz and what I'm using are only 1oz.

Last edited:

renagde

WKR
I orginally was thinking the Dominus but with the updates on the Gen 2 Ultra the only advantage I see is that its a tad shorter?
I went Dominus because that was before the Gen2 was released. At the time, the Dominus was shorter and lighter than the 7, and also quieter. The 7 - Gen2 basically has the exact same specs as the Dominus, just longer and skinnier. If I as buying one now I would get the TBAC 7 gen 2 since they're a little cheaper.

That is a decent site for reviews on different cans. He obviously doesn’t have everything on there.

It’s interesting how high the Hyperion ranks and how much different the internals are compared to others.

renagde

WKR
Just picked up my Dominus from my FFL. It was approved in just under 5 months. Can't wait to get it out to the range but initial impressions on my rifle are lightweight, short and why the heck didn't I do this years ago?!

Reactions: B23
All my Thunderbeast suppressors are CB mount except the 22 Takedown. Recommended by Ray and Zak at TBAC so that’s what i went with..

30CB mount:

I was also wondering if there was any reason not to go with the CB mount? Seems like it'd still be just as easy to swap between guns? Same weight approximately it seems?

Also, I was told that they aren't recommended on the Kimber Adirondacks (or Kimbers in general I guess) due to the fact that you need a thread adapter to be 5/8 24. Anyone have any experience using it on a Kimber with the thread adapter? Is it just a matter of occasionally making sure it's tight between shots? I was just told they 'come loose' when shooting a lot.