Ultralight chair for Glassing Bears.

Wright406

WKR
Anyone use some of the ultralight collapsible chairs when glassin bears? I feel like for the 2lbs they weigh they are worth it when looking through glass for hours on end.

Which ones do you recommend? I was eyeballing a couple of the Amazon options.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use some of the ultralight collapsible chairs when glassin bears? I feel like for the 2lbs they weigh they are worth it when looking through glass for hours on end.

Which ones do you recommend? I was eyeballing a couple of the Amazon options.
I was thinking same thing. And wondering if $120 for 2lbs is worth it instead of $30 for 3lbs?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I pack around the walk stool. It is a bigger seat and more comfortable than some of the others. They are also rated for a lot of weight. They come in just under 2lbs.

Dennis

WKR
If you are interested in a light weight stool you might check out Camp Time pack stool at 14 oz. While not as comfortable as the chairs it works pretty well and easy to carry.

For a long time I just used a 1.5# stool from Bass Pro. It is lightweight and easy to setup. Last year I picked up a Helinox chair (cannot recall the model). I figured it would be nice as it should be more comfortable and about the same weight. So I took it out several times to glass for Coues and do a comparison against my existing stool.

The chair works well if the terrain is even and solid. You could do some modifications to the chair to counter those items but the weight goes up as well as setup time. Also, another consideration is your physical size and weight. Some people's rear ends will not fit as well as they may be over the maximum weight limit.

I'm keeping my Helinox for non-hunting pursuits only.

Check out the REI version of the helinox chair zero. One pound and $60 when it goes on sale. They also have a good tripod stool for 25 bucks or so. Personally for glassing I just use a glassing pad, it’s hard to find a glassing spot that is stable for a chair. Plus when you spot something and want to go tearing off on a stalk before it makes it to the timber you have one more thing to worry about packing up

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the REI version of the helinox chair zero. One pound and $60 when it goes on sale. They also have a good tripod stool for 25 bucks or so. Personally for glassing I just use a glassing pad, it’s hard to find a glassing spot that is stable for a chair. Plus when you spot something and want to go tearing off on a stalk before it makes it to the timber you have one more thing to worry about packing up
Yes. I plan on still using a pad for glassing. But it'd be a nice luxury to come back to the tent and have an easy chair to sit in and soak up some camp fire. Just not sure I want to add 2-3 pounds for such a luxury item.

Yes. I plan on still using a pad for glassing. But it'd be a nice luxury to come back to the tent and have an easy chair to sit in and soak up some camp fire. Just not sure I want to add 2-3 pounds for such a luxury item.

Gotcha. Helinox chair zero or he rei version are great for that. For me the extra $$ is worth saving a pound. Plenty comfy, although the 2lb amazon version is a little more stable and a little more comfy. But I’d rather save the pound especially backpacking.

Do yourselves a favor and bring a piece of tyvek that fits underneath all four chair legs. This will keep them from sinking into the dirt and it weighs virtually nothing.

They sell commercial versions that do the same thing for like $20-40 that weigh a few ounces.

To me, there are very few luxuries as nice as having a glassing chair. There are certain hunts that it goes with me 100%. I have a helinox but can tell you that the rei option is a great way to go. Spring bear, Jan OTC Coues etc. They are worth it if you have the extra coin to throw that way.

1 pound for Helinox Zero. Add the cloth bottom with plastic platforms under each foot for less than 1.5 pounds. Worth every penny. And it's bulletproof. Buy once, cry once. Good for life.

Bought a lightweight stool off Amazon, about 1#. No backrest but it's better than sitting in the wet brush, I also have used it as a shooting rest. Also nice to be able to sit when at camp.

tdot

WKR
I use and love the Alite Monarch. Think it weighs about 20 oz

I keep coming back to this option as the one that makes the most sense. Have you been using it awhile? How does it handle non-level ground?

I love my crazy creek hex 2.0. Its about 200g (not sure oz.) lighter than a helinox. And doesnt have poles that can break. Cheaper too.

Downside is that you still have a bit of contact to the ground

Trr15

WKR
I have a Helinox and I like it, but I've been giving these Hillsound chairs a hard look. They seem simpler to deploy and weigh less. The price isn't bad either.

Trackselk

WKR
How about the vertical advantage of the chairs or stools versus the ground seats? Is that extra 18" of height off the ground worth the extra weight? I would think that tyvek or heavy plastic bag (thinking trash compactor bags) would keep us dry under the seat.
But, if you're scrawny like me, and have trouble staying warm, might it make more sense to keep the down quilt the 18" off the ground also?
Trying to put together a good seat+tripod combo asap...

Drenalin

WKR
I have a Helinox and I like it, but I've been giving these Hillsound chairs a hard look. They seem simpler to deploy and weigh less. The price isn't bad either.

These are more comfortable than I would have expected, but not any more comfortable than a pad (to me). I also struggle with it on uneven ground, and I don't particularly like the added height, especially when I'm hunting whitetails. I like the stool, but for hunting I prefer a few sections of an accordion style sleeping pad.