Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODB

WKR
I think you may be underestimating how aware they are regarding level of location easter eggs they provide. This is just my guess, but I'd be surprised if the location tidbits shared isn't something carefully considered by the production staff and I'd be shocked if there weren't very real and detailed discussions/negotiations about how much to show.

When I’m bored, I enjoy picking up these Easter eggs.

Part of the problem with making a film that doesn’t give anything away is that all that leaves you with are close shots. You can’t revel in the majesty of the landscape without showing some of the landscape. Especially in western hunting. Therein lies the rub…

Warlock

FNG
I am conflicted on this topic, to tell the truth. I am considered one of the "adult onset hunters." My dad would take me hunting growing up, which consisted of frigid cold "deer drives" in Minnesota ag country. I hated it every time, and never had any success which probably contributed to my dislike for (what I thought) was hunting. It wasn't until shows like Meat Eater and The Hunting Public on YouTube came around that I really realized that Hunting isn't what I thought it was, or realized that I hadn't ever hunted in way that could click for me. I used resources online like this forum and Archerytalk as a lurker to learn as much as I could. Since 2017 I've shot at least one big game animal every year because of the things I've learned online and I couldn't be more grateful for that knowledge -- hate to admit it but my dad never really had much in-depth hunting knowledge to impart on me -- he grew up in a class of hunters in the 70's that were more likely to take their shot from a truck window than a tree stand unfortunately. That being said -- I have not been on social media besides these two forums since 2019, for non-hunting related reasons such as my belief that they are toxic and promote depression and anxiety. I definitely agree with most of Matt Rinella's overall points -- I don't see the benefit to the hunting community by glorifying the grip-and-grins and I would be lying if I didn't get a kick out of all the "likes" I would get posting some hunting related success on social media before I deactivated my accounts. It sounds selfish but I wish we could turn off the 'social media' faucet now -- since I now have enough basic understanding to pass on my knowledge to any future children, family, or friends that want to get into hunting. If only informational resources were available rather than this focus on glamorization and influencing on social media I think that would be an extreme benefit to hunters as a whole.

OP

3forks

WKR
I’m waiting for influencers to start corner crossing at the Elk Mountain Ranch and filming it for their shows or putting it in Instagram.

When that starts to happen, I’ll believe they’re more closely aligned to my views and then start considering their arguments for how they‘re using their social media presence.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to use Meat Eater in my example here simply because it seems like they are the most influential hunting media presence at the current moment, not to stir controversy or anything. In the last few years there have been two episodes filmed in places I hunt and very nearby places I hunt. One on a private ranch, and one on a piece of public land that I actually hunt fairly often, and that saw a fair amount of pressure to begin with. Seeing Steve and Janis hunting in the same spots I do was kinda cool at first but got me thinking about what kind of short and long term impact this was going to have due to their extreme popularity in the hunting community (it's all fun and games until it's your own backyard as entitled as that may sound). Even though they do a good job of not naming specific places, word gets around that celebrity hunters were in the area, and prominent mountains can often be visible and discoverable to someone who hits pause on Netflix or YouTube and does some research. I've already heard about increased pressure on the land surrounding the ranch in the episode I'm referring to, and I have to think the ranch owners feel that too. I think these celebrity hunters and influencers may underestimate the impact of their presence and could probably make a few small changes to their content and how it is viewed/shared and still be profitable. Maybe apply some stricter self enforced leave no trace ethics with regards to photography and video editing, with more consideration of locals and other longtime users of the land that will remain there long after they depart in an Airplane headed for the next adventure.
But is hunting even hunting if can’t they can’t park their decal covered trucks at the trailhead.

I'm going to have to use Meat Eater in my example here simply because it seems like they are the most influential hunting media presence at the current moment, not to stir controversy or anything. In the last few years there have been two episodes filmed in places I hunt and very nearby places I hunt. One on a private ranch, and one on a piece of public land that I actually hunt fairly often, and that saw a fair amount of pressure to begin with. Seeing Steve and Janis hunting in the same spots I do was kinda cool at first but got me thinking about what kind of short and long term impact this was going to have due to their extreme popularity in the hunting community (it's all fun and games until it's your own backyard as entitled as that may sound). Even though they do a good job of not naming specific places, word gets around that celebrity hunters were in the area, and prominent mountains can often be visible and discoverable to someone who hits pause on Netflix or YouTube and does some research. I've already heard about increased pressure on the land surrounding the ranch in the episode I'm referring to, and I have to think the ranch owners feel that too. I think these celebrity hunters and influencers may underestimate the impact of their presence and could probably make a few small changes to their content and how it is viewed/shared and still be profitable. Maybe apply some stricter self enforced leave no trace ethics with regards to photography and video editing, with more consideration of locals and other longtime users of the land that will remain there long after they depart in an Airplane headed for the next adventure.
I agree with this. there needs to be a bigger effort to edit specific things out. Even from pictures i see on here from ak i have been able to narrow spots down to a few hundred yards from where they took the picture. One specifically was taken on sitadalik island in kodiak.

I had the chance to bring steve/janis out fishing for eel pout and told our mutual friend who came with that i wanted to make sure that they didnt post show/talk about the area we were at. Even though they didnt make a show of it they made some online content and the only way you would know where we were at is if you have been to that spot. Even during the podcast we did we made sure that it was very vauge when talking about how/where we left to get to the spot.

in the meat eater podcast steve talks about how there has been grip and grins and what not in magazines for ever. thats true but it took alot more effort to seek out that information. They also say how people would put up pictures on brag boards. i believe that is completely different then FB or IG because the person who was going to be influenced to actually go hunting would have to go to that store as well as the person who tacks the picture up would have to go to the store and do it. Now days people can reach 15,000 people in literally seconds right after they walk up to the animal and the people who are taking a dump can see it. There is a reason why alot of magazines are a thing of the past and its because you can be much more efficient blasting out content on FB or IG. I dont have issues with people who only post their pictures to actual true friends/family but when they blast it on FB pages that have 15,000 people in it or have 15,000 followers on IG is complete bull chit. There is no reason to do that except to gain fame and traction and monetary value. Why else would they care that 15,000 of the "friends" give a chit what they harvest. they are not friends with them, they dont know them.

Yes, the influencers being so booty hurt is really hard to understand. Why do they care what some old llama wrangler thinks?? I half think it’s because of who my brother is, but my brother disagrees with me just as much as the other influencers do, so it seems like my viewpoint wouldn’t matter and they wouldn’t be threatened by me. The only thing I can think is that they deep down know their business model is kinda gross, and I’m touching a nerve.
Really??? Of course you hit a nerve! These influencers have put in years and years of money, sweat-equity, time away from family, and risk into building their brand and social media platforms. For most, it may not be their main source of income; but they would like it to be (if it isn't already). They would be straight up lying if they said they were doing this for any other reason, than to make a living by hunting.

That being said, I truly believe in their core, they would have to agree with you that their exploitations of wild game and geographical locations are hurting the general hunting public. Does Exxon Mobile say they care about the environment and global warming? Of course they do; but they sure as hell aren't going to stop making billions on the very thing that's helping destroy the planet.

These "influencers" are going to fight and disagree with you to the ends of the earth, because it threatens their revenue source. Still doesn't make it right what they are doing though.

I agree with your article and podcasts. But I don't make money by the Social Media hunt-n-post method. This has been an excellent debate topic, but unfortunately not going to change a damn thing. The only thing we can hope for is many of these new hunters become bored, find another hobby, or get frustrated at the overall process and dedication it takes to be successful, then move on to other things.

ODB

WKR
I agree with this. there needs to be a bigger effort to edit specific things out. Even from pictures i see on here from ak i have been able to narrow spots down to a few hundred yards from where they took the picture. One specifically was taken on sitadalik island in kodiak.

I had the chance to bring steve/janis out fishing for eel pout and told our mutual friend who came with that i wanted to make sure that they didnt post show/talk about the area we were at. Even though they didnt make a show of it they made some online content and the only way you would know where we were at is if you have been to that spot. Even during the podcast we did we made sure that it was very vauge when talking about how/where we left to get to the spot.

in the meat eater podcast steve talks about how there has been grip and grins and what not in magazines for ever. thats true but it took alot more effort to seek out that information. They also say how people would put up pictures on brag boards. i believe that is completely different then FB or IG because the person who was going to be influenced to actually go hunting would have to go to that store as well as the person who tacks the picture up would have to go to the store and do it. Now days people can reach 15,000 people in literally seconds right after they walk up to the animal and the people who are taking a dump can see it. There is a reason why alot of magazines are a thing of the past and its because you can be much more efficient blasting out content on FB or IG. I dont have issues with people who only post their pictures to actual true friends/family but when they blast it on FB pages that have 15,000 people in it or have 15,000 followers on IG is complete bull chit. There is no reason to do that except to gain fame and traction and monetary value. Why else would they care that 15,000 of the "friends" give a chit what they harvest. they are not friends with them, they dont know them.

Yes. If it’s about “family and friends” then just make the account private. No hashtags needed #publiclandhunter #killinit #embracethesuck #sickforit #trophymeat #trophycountry #givingback #blessed #food2table #hunt2eat #keepitpublic #aldoleopold #5thgenerationmontanan etc

Poser

WKR
I’m just here to say this:

Matt Rinella has entered the chat.

giphy.gif

Also:

Mtnboy

WKR
Yes, the influencers being so booty hurt is really hard to understand. Why do they care what some old llama wrangler thinks?? I half think it’s because of who my brother is, but my brother disagrees with me just as much as the other influencers do, so it seems like my viewpoint wouldn’t matter and they wouldn’t be threatened by me. The only thing I can think is that they deep down know their business model is kinda gross, and I’m touching a nerve.
Exactly, and you can tell which ones are the most butt hurt by how much time and effort they have spent trying to prove you wrong.

How many podcasts has Snyder been on talking about this now? 🤣

Drenalin

WKR
Hunting related or not, I'd like to see us s@$% can insta, facespace, etc for our overall sanity. I'm also selfish enough that I'm ok with keeping forums (or at least this one) because I personally use it. That may be an indefensible position that makes me a hypocrite - I'm ok with that.

kloppy

FNG
You could lump me into the group of hunters that got serious about hunting and has hunted Montana/south Florida the last few years because of the influencers. Guilty as charged, I guess. What I can say is that myself, as well as everyone I know who has been #influenced, have now come to the conclusion that most influencers are losers. Yes, I was influenced by losers. Damn - the first step is admitting.

On a serious note, I think that, like news media, the influencers are less influential than they once were. But what do I know. For the most part, great article @Mattrinella and great discussion Rokslide.

Exactly, and you can tell which ones are the most butt hurt by how much time and effort they have spent trying to prove you wrong.

How many podcasts has Snyder been on talking about this now? 🤣
I still can't let it go that he actually said "my wife gives away extra game meat we kill to her real estate clients as gifts".....if that's not a wake up call that you are killing too many animals, I don't know what is. All for those sweet insta followers that buy backpack$.

CorbLand

WKR
Overall, its a tough one and like most things in the world with the good comes the bad.

I am born and raised in the West and didn't grow up in a big hunting family. We hunted but it wasn't something that was taken super serious. We bought the same tags each year, hunted the same areas, and sometimes we got lucky and killed something. Most of the time we didnt.

I can thank social media for teaching me that killing things can be done on purpose and that there are millions of acres of public land to hunt. Go try new areas. I can also thank @Randy Newberg for his social media and teaching me the importance of public land to hunting. Before I found his stuff, I was in the camp of the States could manage it better. I also watched social media be a powerful tool to enact change in my state on some important wildlife changes that have or were attempted to be pushed through the wildlife board.

I have also seen people get very caught up in the need for "likes" more than the hunt itself. I have seen places get blasted on social media and over run with more and more hunters. I was directly affected by this two years ago and still am dealing with the influx of people in that area. I have worked at a sporting goods store for 7 years and have watched people come in droves to purchase the new thing that some big "influencer" is pushing.

JRam07

FNG
So now this is about little parcels of land whitetail hunting? This is hard to follow first no one can draw tags out west now new hunters are blowing out all the deer in small eastern areas. If it was that big of an ass ache for me to hunt don’t know that I would. Well off to go hunt. geese are piling in.
No. Anytime you try and counter someone with "so" you need to stop. If you're confused ask for clarification, don't assume the point of someone you've never met.

I was simply listing an example of an issue in my area, because someone else pointed out such a thing would be impossible to happen.

WCB

WKR
I’m waiting for influencers to start corner crossing at the Elk Mountain Ranch and filming it for their shows or putting it in Instagram.

When that starts to happen, I’ll believe they’re more closely aligned to my views and then start considering their arguments for how they‘re using their social media presence.
I think that Muley Freak cry baby already did something similar didn't he...well at least he crossed a fence (who cares if it is public or private)

Status
Not open for further replies.