The Low Bar: did Matt Rinella get it wrong?

SDHNTR

Well Known Rokslider
I understand this statement and I feel like those individuals who are hunting just to make content to get likes on Instagram, or to get famous so they can make a quick buck are bad apples, which as we know can spoil a bunch.

I also agree to the point I think you are trying to make here. Any "real" hunter should be and feel connected to the earth and nature when hunting, and be thankful to God that they are able to experience something so magnificent.

And I also agree here that hunting indeed is special and there should be a "barrier to entry", you should have to in a way earn your way in. The But, that I would add to this statement, is that for at myself, even doing research online, watching YouTube and other shows, scanning the forums, going to state's websites, looking at stats...all that took hours, weeks, months, and a scolding from my wife because I wasn't spending enough time with the family, and I'm doing it again this year. But that's the only way I really know how. It's still at least from my point of view a lot of work, and it definitely didn't make me any kind of expert. But it did help me prepare as best I could. I wished I lived out west so I could live that life every day but I don't. So I have to prepare as best as I know how. As long as I feel I can physically do it, I leave as little trace as possible, I am respectful as I can be to the land, the animals, the people, and I can do that safely and ethically, then I feel like I have prepared relatively well. If any state were to say, hey we are cutting the number of available out of state licenses by 40%, then if that is what is best for the land, the animals and the people of that state, then so be it. They're the experts and I expect them to make informed decisions, now whether they actually do or not, that may be a different story. I want to hunt out West, I want my children to hunt out West, and I want to make sure we do it the right way.
I appreciate your perspective. And if you are in it for all the goodly reasons you state and not likes and clicks and fake friends, you are welcome in my hunting camp anytime. You're one of the good ones. You are not who this backlash (mine and many others, obviously) is directed towards.

In fact, I'd welcome a guy from back East who wants to come out West and hunt for the same virtuous reasons you stated much more than the Western local who posts "content" for likes and subscribers.

Reactions: OMB

EJDXT21

Well Known Rokslider
I appreciate your perspective. And if you are in it for all the goodly reasons you state and not likes and clicks and fake friends, you are welcome in my hunting camp anytime. You're one of the good ones. You are not who this backlash (mine and many others, obviously) is directed towards.

In fact, I'd welcome a guy from back East who wants to come out West and hunt for the same virtuous reasons you stated much more than the Western local who posts "content" for likes and subscribers.
SDHNTR, thank you. Honestly I only have a FB account, and I only keep that to catch any deals I may be able to get on gear haha! Well I have LinkedIn too but I don't count that the same as Instagram or the other ones.

I hope I am one of the good ones. I try to be. I wouldn't want anyone coming into my state and messing things up just to get some more followers. But even the good ones tend to get mixed up into the bad bunch. But you can never really tell whos who until we start having these conversations, until we start taking action. I believe you have such a strong opinion, just like many others, because you care about your resources, not because you don't want anyone else hunting in your state. And people like you and the others, are who people like me need to learn from. We need to learn from each other if we are to ever make a difference.

jakelogsdon

Well Known Rokslider
Being personally from the Midwest and having no social media at all. I find this to be true in most of my encounters in hunting out west. Once most of the locals I meet and talk to realize what I'm about, they treat me with respect. That being said. I have some serious issues with the new generation of public hunters.

Junkball

Being personally from the Midwest and having no social media at all. I find this to be true in most of my encounters in hunting out west. Once most of the locals I meet and talk to realize what I'm about, they treat me with respect. That being said. I have some serious issues with the new generation of public hunters.
It's very much the same with hiking out West at popular public hikes accessible from population centers. On nice days, look out. You're not likely to even find parking with people stretched out a mile from the lot parked illegally. The hike itself is ruined by content creators walking behind their preferred recording device all over the trails.

Clarktar

Well Known Rokslider
I thought this was about the Low Bar Squat. Damn click bait titles.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

WV Mountaineer

Well Known Rokslider
Boys, it’s a lot simpler then we are making it.

Out east and Midwest whitetail pales in comparison to the fun of hunting out west. And, with leases increasing in amount and existence, there are simply less places for the average whitetail hunter to spend his two weeks a year hunting.

Add in setting in a stand freezing versus on the ground hunting, glassing, moving, etc… and it quickly ge one’s real obvious with all these factors, people have began to incentivize their time having sone real fun.

AaronMColeman

Well Known Rokslider
Hunting as a singular term is hard to work with. Eastern hunting is completely different from Western. I know nothing about anything except Western Big Game Hunting. I can't imagine any other hunting being as much fun, reward, as difficult, and as much in tune with my own personal spirit. I want everyone to experience that, and I want nobody else out there with me :)

To be honest, I'm that asshole who saw it on TV and thought it looked cool. Then I hunted elk when I moved to Wyoming and it was better than expected.

I think Western hunting is becoming more popular because it's awesome! It always has been but a lot of us just didn't know until we saw it on TV. It's like drugs, they're popular because they work...Western hunting is popular because it's great. A lot of us are just finding that out last decade or so.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristinaketti