Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly, and you can tell which ones are the most butt hurt by how much time and effort they have spent trying to prove you wrong.

How many podcasts has Snyder been on talking about this now? 🤣
should he not have given his side of the argument?

Elkangle

WKR
I wonder if he’d debate me.

The problem with debating you is you go in circles...when someone counters you, you say it's bad for hunting...and then if it's good for hunting you say it's too good and it attracts too many people

You've made it extremely clear your only focus is making hunting better for "your people"...which is a bullshit mindset...your a small piece of the pie..we absolutely need new hunters coming in as old hunter leave...we absolutely need good leaders and voices in the outdoor industry such as your brother, Snyder, or Newburg for those new hunters to look up to...just as we all had our favorite hunting idols growing up...and those guys had some of the best grip and grins...and they printed them for.. money 💀😂

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
In general I agree with Matt. I have posted a couple pictures on here to enter contests because frankly I could use the gear. If not for those, I wouldn't have publicly shared pics at all. I experienced the good old days of hunting western states yearly. Those aren't coming back, and I truly think Matt is pissing in the wind, but I respect his effort. I do believe GPS technology is equally as responsible for the drastic increase in western hunting as anything else. 30 years ago some guy from east of the Mississippi would have never shown up one one of the wallows I hunt 2 miles back through timber. This past year there was 4 different trail cameras on it. I met one of the owners- a single gal from New Jersey. She had her head down in the GPS more than she was watching for elk as she hiked down the meadow. Nothing against her but I'm guessing half the people I encounter yearly wouldn't be on the mountain without navigation.

clkress5

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with debating you is you go in circles...when someone counters you, you say it's bad for hunting...and then if it's good for hunting you say it's too good and it attracts too many people

You've made it extremely clear your only focus is making hunting better for "your people"...which is a bullshit mindset...your a small piece of the pie..we absolutely need new hunters coming in as old hunter leave...we absolutely need good leaders and voices in the outdoor industry such as your brother, Snyder, or Newburg for those new hunters to look up to...just as we all looked up to stories of our hunting idols growing up
1000% agree. Hes also the kind of dude that says he hates influencers yet goes on to podcasts of influencers to say they all suck and are the worse thing for hunting. Then he wonders why other influencers are calling him out on his BS... Matt is the circle back spokes person for "back in my day hunting". Also him going on his brothers podcast then, basically threating to tell shorts about hunts that didn't go the way as intended to paint his brother in a negative light. To me that is belong pathetic.

You've made it extremely clear your only focus is making hunting better for "your people"...which is a bullshit mindset...your a small piece of the pie..we absolutely need new hunters coming in as old hunter leave...we absolutely need good leaders and voices in the outdoor industry such as your brother, Snyder, or Newburg for those new hunters to look up to...just as we all had our favorite hunting idols growing up...and those guys had some of the best grip and grins...and they printed them for.. money 💀😂
I’m trying to get a better sense of what differentiates hunters that are sympathetic to my viewpoint from those that are not. What % of your hunting is on private elkangle? Also, do you make money off hunting? Thanks.

I think I nice little civil debate, without a bunch of below the belt banter, would be awesome between Matt Rinella and some social media "influencers" for lack of a better term. Maybe Matt Rinella, Aron Snyder, & Randy Newberg. I'd like to see something like that be an in-person sit down though, as I think a lot is lost in conversation/debate when it's not "man to man". Just air it out there and see where the dust settles afterwards. Maybe an unbiased Rokslide moderator like Robbie? There's solid arguments from multiple viewpoints and I think as hunters and advocates for, "The North American Model of Conservation", we owe it the game we chase and our fellow hunters to come to terms with the fact that social media is here to stay, but there should be a line in the sand where we as hunters choose not to "folllow" and/or monetarily compensate those who choose to cross that line. Where that line is probably isn't the same for everybody, but a spirited debate may help lay the foundation for a little more thought into what we as hunters/outdoorsmen find as an acceptable and choose to support with our like, follows, and dollars....

I’m trying to get a better sense of what differentiates hunters that are sympathetic to my viewpoint from those that are not. What % of your hunting is on private clkress5. Also, do you make money off hunting? Thanks.

Laramie

WKR
I’m trying to get a better sense of what differentiates hunters that are sympathetic to my viewpoint from those that are not. What % of your hunting is on private elkangle? Also, do you make money off hunting? Thanks.
Matt,

I think the private land vs public land has merit but I would be willing to bet the majority of new to the west hunters would be against your stance while experienced western hunters would in general agree with you.

wapitibob

WKR
It doesn’t take a debate, just common sense. Posting a pincushion Elk on a YouTube channel with 300k followers doesn’t have much upside for hunting. Amy Snyder going from a non hunting vegan to posting her Deer on IG doesn’t have much downside.

WCB

WKR
1000% agree. Hes also the kind of dude that says he hates influencers yet goes on to podcasts of influencers to say they all suck and are the worse thing for hunting. Then he wonders why other influencers are calling him out on his BS... Matt is the circle back spokes person for "back in my day hunting". Also him going on his brothers podcast then, basically threating to tell shorts about hunts that didn't go the way as intended to paint his brother in a negative light. To me that is belong pathetic.
I don't think it was pathetic at all. Can "influencers" not be called out? I honestly don't think Matt wanted to start calling people out but I think he proved a point with the "threat". They paint themselves into corners and those tough discussions are off limits. I have a real problem with stuff being off limits in certain conversations. And I also got from the conversation that it wasn't that the hunt didn't go the way it was intended...I believe it was more of a point that is was purposefully withheld or even by the sounds of it sort of covered up.

I think Matt understands why influencers are calling him out but I also think it is more of the point that they blatantly dismiss major parts of his arguments like they are absolutely outside the real of possibility.

Reactions: OMB

clkress5

Lil-Rokslider
I’m trying to get a better sense of what differentiates hunters that are sympathetic to my viewpoint from those that are not. What % of your hunting is on private clkress5. Also, do you make money off hunting? Thanks.
I make zero money off of hunting in fact I spend thousands of dollars a year to take out new hunters.. Maybe go back a few pages and see my post about what I do with disabled vets and hunting. I hunt/ take vets out on public land only. They get a lot of enjoyment out watching influencers and learning from them. Most are first time hunters. Hunting changes their life, saves their life in many cases. To say that people like that shouldn't do what they do because it hurts your chances really strikes a nerve with me. Some people hunt for other reasons than just to get the meat and there is nothing wrong with that. Hell I get one tag a year if I'm lucky so for me being in the woods to help someone struggling with life means more to me than filling a tag. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.