Unimak Island spring hunt - uncompahgre vs superdown (or other) for insulating layer?

MatSuDano

FNG
Hey folks -
New to this forum, but got sucked in the last couple days reading everyone's firsthand input on all the fancy new gear out there. Great site - good to see (mostly) unbiased opinions. Probably beating a dead horse here, but I'm headed to Unimak Island this spring for a 10-14 day bear and wolf killin' spree, and and having a difficult time deciding which insulating layer I want to bring. I'll be rocking Kuiu Yukon jacket/pants as my outer layer, just hoping to solicit a little input on what everyone thinks would be the best mid/insulating layer. I'm leaning towards the FirstLight Uncompahgre or the Kuiu Superdown. I haven't had hands on either, and am by no means limited to these two brands. My main concern with the Superdown is performance in the wet (how well does this stuff dry out?); This will be a fairly long trip in some of the soggiest, windiest, nastiest weather Alaska has to offer, and I hope to ride it out in relative comfort. I imagine there will be a lot of azz time sitting behind glass, with some pretty good hikes on either end. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ray

WKR
As a former resident of Adak island and having spent time in Cold Bay, all I can say is you will enjoy good polyester based fleece and top shelf rain gear. It's all going to get wet at some point. Soaked through typically.

For the Aleutians and AK Penn weather gear consider how it will work while swimming in a shallow pool for a day. Because some days out there there is not much difference between that and walking around.

OP
MatSuDano

MatSuDano

FNG
As a former resident of Adak island and having spent time in Cold Bay, all I can say is you will enjoy good polyester based fleece and top shelf rain gear. It's all going to get wet at some point. Soaked through typically.

For the Aleutians and AK Penn weather gear consider how it will work while swimming in a shallow pool for a day. Because some days out there there is not much difference between that and walking around.

Ray - thanks for the input - good first hand stuff from someone who's lived it. You think the Yukon gear (supposed to be "top shelf") will suffice, or should I resort to the ol' Helly-Hansen rubber-wear?

I have about 10 puffys and my favorite is the FL because of the way it cuts the wind and dries out fast. But if weight is a concern the down is hard to beat.

Ryan - thanks - the scales are tipping towards the FL, just for the fact that it will dry out! I have serious reservations about down, even if it is "treated"

Ray

WKR
See if you can find the rain gear review on here from last winter. For the AK penn you do not want something that holds water on the surface, which is why impertech gets the nod out there so often.

OP
MatSuDano

MatSuDano

FNG
I'll bring it. Sport the Yukon when I'm moving, throw the Helly over the top when I'm parked. Think I'll pick up a Firstlite puffy to keep me toasty under all that.
Thanks guys

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
I'll bring it. Sport the Yukon when I'm moving, throw the Helly over the top when I'm parked. Think I'll pick up a Firstlite puffy to keep me toasty under all that.
Thanks guys

That's really overkill. I've been out in some terrible weather in Alaska in my Yukon gear and it is excellent rain gear, dries up quick and breathes very well. I hike in only the Yukon pants and lounge at camp at night in the superdown.

OP
MatSuDano

MatSuDano

FNG
That's really overkill. I've been out in some terrible weather in Alaska in my Yukon gear and it is excellent rain gear, dries up quick and breathes very well. I hike in only the Yukon pants and lounge at camp at night in the superdown.

You say you've been out in some terrible weather in Alaska, but you didn't mention where, or when it was the last time you were down by Cold Bay or the Aleutians in that Yukon Gear. Alaska's a big place, with widely varying climates. Over my last 34 years up hear I've been around a bit, too (from the Arctic slope to the Southeast islands to Kodiak, and all parts in-between), and been pretty miserable at times. The Yukon is fine for that; I have not, however, tested it on a 14 day float plane drop-off on Unimak Island, where the weather is notoriously wet and shitty, and home is a long, long ways away.

There's a possibility it may be overkill, but we're not that weight restricted, and as they say better to have and not need. I think I'll go with Ray's recommendation - he's lived it. Appreciate your opinion.

Last edited:

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
You say you've been out in some terrible weather in Alaska, but you didn't mention where, or when it was the last time you were down by Cold Bay or the Aleutians in that Yukon Gear. Alaska's a big place, with widely varying climates. Over my last 34 years up hear I've been around a bit, too (from the Arctic slope to the Southeast islands to Kodiak, and all parts in-between), and been pretty miserable at times. The Yukon is fine for that; I have not, however, tested it on a 14 day float plane drop-off on Unimak Island, where the weather is notoriously wet and shitty, and home is a long, long ways away.

There's a possibility it may be overkill, but we're not that weight restricted, and as they say better to have and not need. I think I'll go with Ray's recommendation - he's lived it. Appreciate your opinion.

Take it for what it is, just an opinion. I used the Yukon gear last year on a 7 day bear hunt in Cordova, a 7 day elk hunt on Afognak and a 9 day sheep hunt in the Alaska range. The AK weather gods didn't bless us with nice weather on any of those hunts. It was actually the most miserable weather I've been out in so I was very impressed with how the rain gear performed.

I've owned cabelas rain suede rain gear, HH, frog toggs, and Marmot Precip gear while I was stationed in Alaska. During my 5 year tour in kodiak I deployed to Cold Bay, St. Paul and Cordova each from 2-4 weeks each year. I've hunted in each of those spots, as well as Adak, kotzebue, kodiak of course and the Alaska range twice.

On my two float hunts out of kotzebue I wore the Precip gear and it worked fine. I really enjoy not having to change into separate rain pants hence why I enjoy using the Yukon pants, it starts to rain and I just zip up the vents and I'm good to go. That's my opinion and my system I'll be using on my sheep hunt next week and float trip on the Noatak next year.

I definitely wasn't bashing your packing plan, just my opinion. I'll keep your thread in mind next time I post an opinion and have to include my full bio
to be "qualified" to give it. Good luck on your trip and be safe.

Steve Fischer

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
Also to note, my overkill comment wasn't geared toward your decision to bring two sets of rainwear. Just your thought process of putting one set over the other?

OP
MatSuDano

MatSuDano

FNG
Steve - totally sorry if I offended - didn't mean to come off that way at all (tone never seems to come across right in text). Mostly what I was getting at is that I hadn't tested out my Yukon raingear in Unimak style weather, and I haven't had the best luck with lesser breathables in Kodiak and the SE. So far the Yukon's been great. I'm gonna bring it for sure and wear it 'til I'm wet, but have the Hellys to fall back on (I know they're waterproof). Really the original point of my inquiry was regarding the superdown vs. the synthetic fill, and whether or not the down would be appropriate for a trip to the armpit of Alaska. Sounds like you have been around, and you know what I have to look forward to. What's your take on that? I openly admit this will be my first opportunity to spend some time down there, hence the questions and uncertainty. Again, sorry if I got you riled, and thanks for your input - I'm taking it all into consideration!

kodiakfly

WKR
I have the same employer as Steve and I've worked in the same places. With my job, I've spent a lot of time in the chain, Cold Bay, St Paul, etc. In fact, that's were I do most of my work. I think you have the rain gear thing figured out, especially if you're not weight-restricted. Take the HH, no question.

As for insulation, I still rock the synthetic in this wet stuff. I know a lot of guys will use down, treated down and such and they swear it's fine and I'm sure it's ok. So...I gave it a shot a few weeks ago. I was on a three-night trip and the weather was to be "warm" but rainy. So I took a down bag and a light down puffy. Neither are treated down, mind you. But, each got "moist." Not saturated and not even soggy. They each held loft but there was just so much moisture in the air that everything was foggy, wet and damp. It was warm enough that I didn't get cold, but my sleeping bag in my tent got damp enough that I could feel the moisture in it and it felt like it just wasn't as lofty as when I unpacked it.

My point is, I wouldn't just worry about actual rain, but also the 100% humidity that you can run into for days and weeks at a time. Treated down or not, these are conditions that I feel call for synthetic insulation and that's why I use what I use. I'm not an ounce-counter in the first place and I normally sleep in Wiggys so I don't mind the extra ounces over a ZPacks bag. But if there's any single reason why companies still make synthetic bags and garments, SC AK and the Chain are the reasons why.

My vote is for the synthetic. Down is awesome, but we're talking about a part of the world where everything will get wet eventually.

Last edited:
OP
MatSuDano

MatSuDano

FNG
Thanks kodiakfly - exactly the sort of input I was looking for (and kinda what I figured). I'll leave the down at home. Appreciate it!

jherald

WKR
You'll like the First Lite Puffy. I love mine so much I wished they would make some pants to pair with the jacket. I wore mine on 10 day brooks range trip and it worked excellent.

OP
MatSuDano

MatSuDano

FNG
You'll like the First Lite Puffy. I love mine so much I wished they would make some pants to pair with the jacket. I wore mine on 10 day brooks range trip and it worked excellent.

I know - I was wishing the same thing

jherald

WKR
Backcountry.com had the arcteryx lite puffy pants on sale for 45 bucks off, looked to be going quick, for what its worth. I couldnt resist picked up a pair.

OP
MatSuDano

MatSuDano

FNG
Thanks man - also found 'em for $132 @ e-omc.com - free shipping. Gots to love the free shipping when you live in AK

Last edited:

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider

CG and Matsu: Just to clarify, when you two are saying "Yukon" are you referring to the Kuiu brand or something else? Thanks