Unlimited PTO?!?

Based on the explanation of my friends who have gone through this, I believe the banked hours are eliminated.

I'm getting a pay out on mine.. My company just switched to unlimited starting next year Jan 1. I'll have about 100 hours of PTO getting paid out as a "bonus"

My goal is to also take about 5 weeks and the 11 federal holidays off next year

cjdewese

WKR
I'm getting a pay out on mine.. My company just switched to unlimited starting next year Jan 1. I'll have about 100 hours of PTO getting paid out as a "bonus"

This is what I'm hoping mine does if they make the switch.

cnelk

WKR

Be sure to change your withholdings for that paycheck.
Then change it back when they go to unlimited PTO.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
Unlimited PTO is a way to allow the company to no longer list accrued PTO as a liability, therefore making the company look better financially.

Edited for clarification: this is because they don't have to pay out your saved up PTO when you leave the company.
I'm a small business owner, my brother works for one of the Detroit sports team..... He's told me that they give him unlimited pto and I always wondered how and why they did that, now I get it. Said company are also very good at terminating employees. Makes sense now

Is there a limit on it, or is it truly unlimited?

I was talking to some coworkers after I read this thread and they said they'd never show up to work if that was a thing. I was thinking I'd probably work harder if they gave me the option.

I guess with people like my coworkers existing it makes sense why the company I work for hasn't done it. They're considered pretty good employers too.

ryndxt

FNG
typically done for the accounting benefit of PTO as a liability. I've worked in companies with it. It's not been an issue

gabenzeke

WKR

I was talking to some coworkers after I read this thread and they said they'd never show up to work if that was a thing. I was thinking I'd probably work harder if they gave me the option.

I guess with people like my coworkers existing it makes sense why the company I work for hasn't done it. They're considered pretty good employers too.
You have to get your work done. The people I know that work places with unlimited PTO work mostly on project type work or something that can be counted each day. If you aren't hitting your targets or if your projects are running behind, no PTO.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

The point of unlimited PTO is to encourage employees to be focused and productive at work. Instead of just being there for the sake of being there to get the hours.

As perviously stated if your projects are behind your PTO can be denied. However if you have set PTO like 3 weeks and your projects are behind your PTO could still be denied for the same reason.

Unlimited is the same as the use it or lose it policy but not as good. At least with the use it or lose it your going to take the time off vs losing it.

amassi

WKR
Anybody seen a 4 day work week yet? (Not talking about 4 10s).

Just got out of a meeting RE: this
A different division where I work is trialing it. They’re 16 weeks in and productivity has increased substantially.
There’s 4 groups in that division being studied
5x8
5x8 hybrid- 3 work from home days
4x8
4x8 hybrid- 2 work from home days

The 4x8 hybrid is the most productive. Work from home days you can clock in/out at your leisure so long as it adds up to 8. Quite a few are working 0300-1130 which I thought was surprising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im fortunate enough to get 248 hours of PTO every year, and have great supervisors that are more than willing to work with me when it comes to taking time for hunts that fall in August-October (which is our busy season).

I was just offered a position at a company with unlimited PTO. Does anyone have any experience working at a company with this benefit? Whats the catch? Ive seen that this sort of benefit is common for companies in my industry but this would be my first time having this benefit afforded to me.

thoughts?
yes, I have unlimited PTO, think im at 7 weeks used this year. Its a double edged sword. I dont have to stress when I'm negative PTO, but my comp plan is directly tied to the performance of the business.

I like it, for the fact it gives me more freedom as long as my line of business’s performance meets expectations. If I had amassed an under performing team I’d probably hate it but I don't think a PTO policy would fix an under performing team

one of the better things about unlimited PTO is I can push/politely force PTO when I see team members need it

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Just got out of a meeting RE: this
A different division where I work is trialing it. They’re 16 weeks in and productivity has increased substantially.
There’s 4 groups in that division being studied
5x8
5x8 hybrid- 3 work from home days
4x8
4x8 hybrid- 2 work from home days

The 4x8 hybrid is the most productive. Work from home days you can clock in/out at your leisure so long as it adds up to 8. Quite a few are working 0300-1130 which I thought was surprising

Without knowing your line of work…How is productivity being measured? Is it a blind study or did Team 5x8 volunteer as tribute?

amassi

WKR
Without knowing your line of work…How is productivity being measured? Is it a blind study or did Team 5x8 volunteer as tribute?

Against the last 8 years and customer satisfaction
They are unaware they’re being studied
The narrative is that each team supervisor has the leeway to decide schedules.
That being said the rumor is that hybrid work is going to be slowly curtailed and phased out. We have too many owned office building and just remodeled one. I don’t think we can sell the buildings due to their nature

Last edited:
I was just offered a position at a company with unlimited PTO. Does anyone have any experience working at a company with this benefit? Whats the catch? Ive seen that this sort of benefit is common for companies in my industry but this would be my first time having this benefit afforded to me.

thoughts?

Unlimited PTO is a lie. If you're a high performer, you can't ever get time off without constantly being on the hook to respond to email etc. And the folks lower on the totem pole tend to take way more than they should.

IMO, having a set number of days to use and adding additional with promotions and seniority makes way more sense. Especially if you can cash out unused days.

Just got read the riot act today. Our business group (well, the whole company really) is taking far more "unlimited PTO" than expected. We need to download our weekly usage from the past year and evaluate whether it is what each of us expected, make sure that we're billing the right leave program (some get sick or family leave, too), and we're going to be pushed more to use our PTO planner.

Do they think we were working 50-hr weeks because we loved the job that much?

pewpew69

FNG

thoughts?
I worked at a company that had unlimited PTO. People definitely end up taking less, it's so odd to me. I actually didn't like it because I felt like I was judged by my manager for taking longer than what others typically take in a year. If you get a good manager and you intend to squeeze out the PTO, it can be a blessing. It really just depends on the company culture surrounding vacation time. If the company is crappy about it, I'd much rather just have a set number of days like 3 weeks or whatever to take.

Also FYI, when I worked at that company, in the contract it actually doesn't say unlimited PTO, it says 3 weeks. Make of that what you will, one of the "good" reasons for that at least is that they can pay you out your unused vacation when you leave.