Using Osprey pack for backcountry hunt

napid79

FNG
I’ve done quite a bit of backpacking and have an Osprey Atmos 65 pack. This fall I’ll be doing my first backcountry hunt and am on the fence about get a hunting specific backpack. This kind of trip isn’t something I’ll be doing on a regular basis, so it’s making it hard to justify spending the money. What say you all? Is it worth it? Or suffer the potential/hopeful heavy loads for the one hunt when you know it isn’t going to be a yearly or every other year habit?

It all depends. How far are you going in, how many days, what time of year, solo or a group, what are you hunting, etc. I certainly got along without a good hunting pack for a long time. If you connect it may be a couple extra trips depending on the above. Or you can get a cheap frame pack. I've always found them to work pretty well, especiallyif its not as far or as long as some trips. That said I sure enjoy my SO Fortress! Good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
napid79

napid79

FNG
It all depends. How far are you going in, how many days, what time of year, solo or a group, what are you hunting, etc. I certainly got along without a good hunting pack for a long time. If you connect it may be a couple extra trips depending on the above. Or if you can get a cheap frame pack. I've always found them to work pretty. That said I sure enjoy my SO Fortress! Good luck with whatever you decide.
Going in 3-5 miles with one buddy in mid-October to the first of November in Montana. Hunting elk and mule deer during the rifle season.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar situation. I had a Kelty pack that I really liked, so if I were to buy a bag for a western hunt, that may have been all I used it for. Good bags are way too expensive to only use for one occasional purpose. Eventually I wore out the Kelty, so I bought something that was more hunting built.

How much do you like your current bag?

OP
napid79

napid79

FNG
I was in a similar situation. I had a Kelty pack that I really liked, so if I were to buy a bag for a western hunt, that may have been all I used it for. Good bags are way too expensive to only use for one occasional purpose. Eventually I wore out the Kelty, so I bought something that was more hunting built.

How much do you like your current bag?
For backpacking, I really like it. I had an old Dana Designs, and this is more comfortable than that by a long shot.

FNG
Try it out and see how it goes. I used an osprey pack on my first mountain goat hunt. Only thing I wasn’t crazy about was how it felt when I had a boned out goat in there. Sometimes I flirt with the idea of using it again because is way lighter than the outdoorsman pack I currently use.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obviously it should carry your gear just fine, the justification for a hunting pack is predominantly is hauling meat.

You're not going to load the Atmos up with 100 lbs, but if you're willing to make a few trips- you'll likely be fine. Make sure that when hauling meat out that it's in something that mitigates blood from getting over everything.

If you do decide a hunting pack is justified, you can save decent $ by shopping right here on the classifieds. I think daily there are new listings for a wide variety hunting packs.

mlgc20

WKR
Obviously it should carry your gear just fine, the justification for a hunting pack is predominantly is hauling meat.

You're not going to load the Atmos up with 100 lbs, but if you're willing to make a few trips- you'll likely be fine. Make sure that when hauling meat out that it's in something that mitigates blood from getting over everything.

If you do decide a hunting pack is justified, you can save decent $ by shopping right here on the classifieds. I think daily there are new listings for a wide variety hunting packs.
Great advice here^^ I have the Atmos 65. It's a decent enough pack and very comfortable with loads under 40 pounds. That should be plenty capacity for gear. I would never want to haul an elk quarter in an Atmos. It's just not built to handle that. I will say that I haven't taken my Atmos out in years once I got a high end pack.

My brother uses one and loves it. He does have a meat hauling cabelas alaskan frame, so if the need arises, takes a light load out first and grabs the other pack in the truck. He has used it for years with no issue. I think you'll be just fine.

OP
napid79

napid79

FNG
My brother uses one and loves it. He does have a meat hauling cabelas alaskan frame, so if the need arises, takes a light load out first and grabs the other pack in the truck. He has used it for years with no issue. I think you'll be just fine.
That’s a good idea about having a meat hauler at the truck.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted out of an Osprey Aether 60 ( not too different than the Atmos) until I had to haul elk quarters. Ordered a Kifaru frame when I got home. The Osprey is a great pack for backpacking but i don’t think you’ll like hauling quarters in it.

I echo the same advice. Not ideal for hauling meat. However it's not like buying an expensive hunting pack will make the experience easy, it's just more doable.

Wrench

WKR
The osprey is actually better for hunting right until you pull the trigger. They're lighter and compact.

If you overload it....it simply cannot handle it. Keep the load about 65# or less and it's a great choice.

Do keep an eye on the stitching and hardware. They're made for 40# loads on open trails. Jumping off cliffs and beating on rocks is not easy on them.

caltex

FNG
I started training for elk hunting a few months ago. I have a cliff/hill behind my house with a set of stairs that runs most of the way up it to a J ditch. I basically walk up and down those stairs for an hour with 60# of water in my pack.

I've had an Osprey Kestrel 48 that I've used for backpacking for years. I've loved that pack and put it through the ringer (30-45# loads all over the place). It's always performed. I started doing those training stairs with 60# in that pack and I could just feel the frame and pack flexing and straining under the load. I don't think it would have lasted until September.

I recently bought a SG Sky 5900 with a Krux frame. It handles these loads with no issues whatsoever. There's no flexing or pulling. It makes the load actually feel lighter because it isn't sagging/pulling under the weight.

I've budgeted out a roughly 60# skin-out weight for my hunt this fall. Glad I pulled the trigger on this pack. It'll handle that weight no problem and be able to scale up to haul meat if I'm successful.

12kAhres

FNG
If you’re not a yearly western hunter I don’t think a hunting pack is justified, especially when you’ve got a backpacking pack already. Maybe see if you can find what it’s rated for as far as load goes. And you can always bring a couple trash bags to line your pack’s interior and throw in some meat when you get something down.

CoStick

WKR
If you’re not a yearly western hunter I don’t think a hunting pack is justified, especially when you’ve got a backpacking pack already. Maybe see if you can find what it’s rated for as far as load goes. And you can always bring a couple trash bags to line your pack’s interior and throw in some meat when you get something down.
This is true. Plus it is a right of passage having a bunch of meat shoved into the pack and the front quarter on your shoulder. You will be so happy to get an elk, you won’t care.

12kAhres

FNG
This is true. Plus it is a right of passage having a bunch of meat shoved into the pack and the front quarter on your shoulder. You will be so happy to get an elk, you won’t care.
Exactly. My first pack out included my little day pack stuffed with loose meat and a front quarter in my arms. I was so jacked on adrenaline and excitement, I never got sick of it.

If this is a one time deal I wouldn’t spend the extra money. But if you are on the fence here are some thoughts.
1. You could sell the Osprey ( they are great
backpacking packs and sell pretty easily)
and use that money towards a hunting pack.
2. If you use the Osprey and get an animal you
have the potential to ruin it or get blood on it
To the point that you can not sell or use it.
3. The top tier hunting specific packs are just as
comfortable as backpacking packs but are
durable with only a marginal weight gain.
4. The top tier hunting packs hold their value so
you could resell it after the hunt. And hunters
usually don’t mind blood stains.

If you have the means and potentially might use it in the future I would recommend you purchase one. If you like it sell the Osprey if not sell the hunting pack. At the end I would expect you would be out no more that $50 plus shipping.

I went through this and now use my Stone Glacier pack for everything. With the ability to change out the bags I find it more desirable and functional than my Osprey. I have wore out a few backpacking packs. I have had my Stone Glacier for 5 or 6 years and other than a few stains and sun fade it is just as good as when I bought it. Too be honest though I did purchase a Krux frame last year to save a little weight.

I bought my son an Osprey 48 this year to use as a weekend backpacking/Hunting pack. I'll be with him, so we can use my pack for meat. I have to sat, the Osprey I bought him is excellent, lightweight, and was only $180. Hard to imagine it not working well for him for some time.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would test it with enough weight to simulate packing out an animal. See how it feels for a couple miles with 50lbs, 80lbs, 100lbs. That might make your decision really easy.