Utah Uintas Rifle Elk Tactics

sargent

WKR
Hey guys, I was wondering what tactics have worked (or not worked) for those of you who have hunted the general any bull season on either the north or south slope of the Uintas. From what I've heard, calling can still be effective at the beginning of the season and from looking at the maps it looks like a motivated hunter may be able to get up on the rocky mountains and glass down into the basins. I've also heard there is tons of pressure, so maybe still hunting through tucked away pockets of bedding cover would be the only realistic way to find elk. Any advice from those who have been there would be helpful. Thanks.

We’ve done well sitting meadows and saddles. I’ve had okay luck calling but really varies season to season.

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
What matters most is access. Find places where it is hard to get to where the elk have someplace to escape the pressure. They live where they feel safe. River/creek crossings are one of my favorites. The elk could be 1/2 mile from the road if there is some kind of deterrent for the other hunters.

CNEDEER

FNG
Agree with Hondo, find where people aren't. Sometimes that means far from a road but in the Uintahs, that sometimes just means far from a trail.