Value optics a value? Direct, German, USA made/assembled?

OP
Mayfly-1970

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from a three day scouting/backpack trip and it was my first run with a new pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42. I am incredibly happy that I bought them! I was regularly glassing elk/deer on ridges at over a mile and resolution is just so very sharp and bright. Depth of field is amazing too... if I had my bino search to do all over again for a sub $1k pair, I would buy these all over again and twice on Sunday! LOL
Happy Hunting!

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I called Doug. Nice guy with a lot of apparent knowledge. He highly suggested the GPO Passion HDs over anything he offers around $1k. He even suggested them over the Meopta Meostars demos he has on sale. IDK, just passing along what I was told.
Neil suggested the same when I spoke with him... I chose the Zeiss anyway and rolled the dice. ZERO regrets!

OP
Mayfly-1970
Neil suggested the same when I spoke with him... I chose the Zeiss anyway and rolled the dice. ZERO regrets!
Great information. I really appreciate the feedback. I am leaning the same way. I drove 1.5 hours to a Bass Pro Shop today to be completely disappointed by the inventory. The good news appears to be there are several great options. I found a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x42 demos for $750 that seem like a safe bet.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Great information. I really appreciate the feedback. I am leaning the same way. I drove 1.5 hours to a Bass Pro Shop today to be completely disappointed by the inventory. The good news appears to be there are several great options. I found a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x42 demos for $750 that seem like a safe bet.
You won’t regret it!

JD Jones

WKR
I went conquests as I was looking to upgrade. I stumbled into a pair 50% off… patience and you can find deals

I called Doug. Nice guy with a lot of apparent knowledge. He highly suggested the GPO Passion HDs over anything he offers around $1k. He even suggested them over the Meopta Meostars demos he has on sale. IDK, just passing along what I was told.
I'll second his opinion. I have the 12.5x gpo and I absolutely love everything about them. Minor detail that I truly appreciate is the metal construction of the eyecups and that they have a solid stop on each rotation. First pair of binos where the eye doesn't move on me.

rayfrugg

FNG
Best buy in optics under $1000 right now is EuroOptics open box Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 for $699. They have the 8x, and also 8x32, for more. Their open box deals are better, than many used prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve said it to others. If you are patient on the classified here and make folks a reasonable offer you can get good deals. I have a pair of 10x42 newest model SLCs and a pair of Meopta 15x56s, both cost me a grand delivered to my door.

It’s a bit nerve racking sending some rando a thousand bucks on PayPal but be careful, vet the seller and it’ll probably work out.

If I was going new I’d talk to Doug and see if he has any demo Leicas. I’ve seen him have some awesome deals on older model geovids

Antares

WKR
I got my mom 8x56 Meopta Meostars and they are fun to look through. I have the same in 12x50 and 15x56, but the 8x56s have a little more “wow” factor. They’re pretty.

OP
Mayfly-1970
Best buy in optics under $1000 right now is EuroOptics open box Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 for $699. They have the 8x, and also 8x32, for more. Their open box deals are better, than many used prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@rayfrugg thank you for the head's up. I just ordered a pair of demo Zeiss Conquest 8x42 from EuroOptics. My wife was encouraging me to pick out a present for my birthday/camping trip on the 20th so I had to oblige :)

OP
Mayfly-1970
Just thought I would follow up to maybe help someone else. I called Zeiss today, even before I received the binos, and told them I wanted a pair of extended eye pieces (after reading advice here on Rokslide). He said "sure"- took my address and said they would be to my house in about a week. Zeiss is starting off on the right foot with me.

4th_point

WKR
That said, these “direct to consumer” brands are new, they all were born on the back end of the last recession. Maven and Tract haven’t survived an economic downturn yet, and with an impending recession, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they both didn’t survive. I would hope Maven will survive (not a Tract fan, I feel they’ve done nothing but ride the coattails of Maven after Maven paved the way and that bothers me), but I can’t say I would count on them surviving.
No disrespect meant, but I think that you are overlooking the history of David P. Bushnell and Bushnell Optical. Bushnell sold through dealers, but also direct to the consumer.

So it's not "new". Nor did Maven "pave the way".

My question is what is the point of diminishing returns value wise? I think its like wine. 2 buck chuck vs a 30 dollar bottle no comparison. But put a 100 dollar bottle up against a 1000 dollar bottle and it seriously is hard to tell the difference. Imo the sweet spot for optics is 200 to 300 bucks. Compare a $250 athlon to $900 zeiss. Tell you what, they are comparable. Maybe other people can chime in to see what the exact difference is because to my eyes the more expensive scope is brighter but not sure if it actually makes a difference in terms of functionality ie you wont NOT spot a critter with the cheaper bino

OP
Mayfly-1970
I got my Conquests and I am very happy with the image and overall quality and glad I went with one of the classic brands that will be around after me. My desire for a one and done seems to have been met. I even got a Marsupial rig on clearance. Completely satisfied.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

OP
Mayfly-1970
My question is what is the point of diminishing returns value wise? I think its like wine. 2 buck chuck vs a 30 dollar bottle no comparison. But put a 100 dollar bottle up against a 1000 dollar bottle and it seriously is hard to tell the difference. Imo the sweet spot for optics is 200 to 300 bucks. Compare a $250 athlon to $900 zeiss. Tell you what, they are comparable. Maybe other people can chime in to see what the exact difference is because to my eyes the more expensive scope is brighter but not sure if it actually makes a difference in terms of functionality ie you wont NOT spot a critter with the cheaper bino
There is definitely a point of diminishing returns in most things. I collect knives- it is about $300 to get to the "upper level" in noticeable quality. For binos I found that to be about $1,000 for the "upper level" that gives the "wow" factor and image pop. It is nice when there are companies like Athlon that break these price barriers and enter with a good value- but usually with some trade-offs.

4th_point

WKR
As long as you are happy, that is all that matters!

I had the Conquest and Tract, which are both supposedly made by Kamakura, but I think that the Conquest build quality was better.

Honyock

WKR
Pull up Europtics or Red Hawk Rifle and look at the demos (open box new). You can get a Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 for $750.