Vanguard Talon vs Mark V Hunter

Mfritts

FNG
Been doing some light shopping for a new rifle chambered in something I can get ammo for (been shooting .270wsm for 16 years). I came upon these two Weatherby rifles and here is my question. Is the vanguard (Howa) with the better carbon fiber stock and fluted barrel the better value, or is it better to step up to a true Mark V action with poly stock and less “frills”? Any Weatherby owners that can Show me the light?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with the Talon. Sportsmen’s warehouse has them for $1289 I think that’s a good deal, everything you need along with the carbon stock. I have a Vanguard in 300 Win Mag with a Bell and Carlson stock which I like a lot.

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my mark v hunters. The stock is the exact same shape as the Peak 44 on the Talon just not carbon fiber. It’s not much heavier but honestly the extra weight is probably good for recoil anyways as the hunter is super light. I think the mark v is way better than the vanguard. If I was gonna spend over a grand I would want a mark v.

OP
M

Mfritts

FNG
One thing i noticed on mark V was the lighter contour barrel, what caliber do you shoot and have you had issues with accuracy when barrel heats up? How many shots can you fire before accuracy suffers?

sndmn11

WKR
Any specific reason?

The stock, cerakote, brake.

We have four vanguards and they are fine. We have two tikkas also. I can't think of a reason to choose anything but those two actions.

For typical $700-800 purchase a Tikka/vanguard, put it in a nice stock, cerakote, etc., I think you are well ahead.

6.2lbs on a 24" creedmoor sounds great. The 24" creed vanguard we have is a 2900fps 140vld rifle. That checks every box anyone could throw out there.

Been doing some light shopping for a new rifle chambered in something I can get ammo for (been shooting .270wsm for 16 years). I came upon these two Weatherby rifles and here is my question. Is the vanguard (Howa) with the better carbon fiber stock and fluted barrel the better value, or is it better to step up to a true Mark V action with poly stock and less “frills”? Any Weatherby owners that can Show me the light?

Thanks

I can't speak toward the Howa, but I have the MK V Hunter (In Kings XK7 Camo, 300win) and I absolutely love it! Its a tack driver with barnes 165gr.

tyco

FNG
Old thread I know, but I recently picked up a Mark V Hunter in 280 AI. I called Weatherby and they were able to get me a brake that matched the Cerakote. I don’t own a Talon to compare, but I’m happy with my choice.

OP
M

Mfritts

FNG
I ended up grabbing a Browning X-Bolt Speed in the Ovix Camo pattern

I actually have both now - the Vanguard Talon (6.5 creedmoor) and the MK V Hunter (300 win mag) and I have a hard time choosing which one I like more. Both fantastic rifles. Shot a big whitetail spike this year with the 6.5. The 300 hasn’t gotten to kill anything yet, but I did carry it around Montana.

The Vanguard shoots a bit more accurate, but the MK V action definitely feels like it is a bit higher quality. Haven’t tried hand loads for either yet.