Verification shot?

robtattoo

WKR
So, I just dropped a bit of a clanger. I printed off a quick range card for my Swede to take out to Wyoming next week (8-9000' altitude difference). I checked all the come-ups & checked my dial super quick (spin it up, spin it back down) trouble is, it kept spinning down!
I literally just remembered that i hadn't got around to installing the effing zero stop! 🤦‍♂️
Like a complete tit, I also never counted my downward turns below zero. I'm pretty sure it was 4 & that's what I came back up, but it could've been 3.
I have absolutely zero time to get to the range before I step out the door on Thursday, 0-dark-thirty so I guess I'm going to have to verify once I get there.

My question is: Is it considered "bad form" to start shooting on public land, the afternoon before season opens? I know I'm legal, but am I going to piss of a bunch of locals & come back to slashed tires?

Anozira

WKR
I’ve been in a similar situation, but ‘you gotta do what you gotta do.’

I would avoid anywhere I was planning on hunting. Can you drive away from the hunting area?

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I’ve been in a similar situation, but ‘you gotta do what you gotta do.’

I would avoid anywhere I was planning on hunting. Can you drive away from the hunting area?

Yessir, very easily. I may still have access to a local ranch, but I know it changed management last spring & I don't want to count on still being welcome.
That said, i can still get miles away from my own area in NF land.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So, I just dropped a bit of a clanger. I printed off a quick range card for my Swede to take out to Wyoming next week (8-9000' altitude difference). I checked all the come-ups & checked my dial super quick (spin it up, spin it back down) trouble is, it kept spinning down!
I literally just remembered that i hadn't got around to installing the effing zero stop! 🤦‍♂️
Like a complete tit, I also never counted my downward turns below zero. I'm pretty sure it was 4 & that's what I came back up, but it could've been 3.
I have absolutely zero time to get to the range before I step out the door on Thursday, 0-dark-thirty so I guess I'm going to have to verify once I get there.

My question is: Is it considered "bad form" to start shooting on public land, the afternoon before season opens? I know I'm legal, but am I going to piss of a bunch of locals & come back to slashed tires?

Just bore sight it on something at least a hundred yards away- it’ll be obvious which revolution is correct.

TaperPin

WKR

What part of Wyoming are you driving through? It’s not frowned upon to set up a target out in the sagebrush - along any of the popular camping areas and trailheads is a different story. If you are coming through I80 and headed north from Rawlins there are a lot of little roads and a lot of open sagebrush. If you’re coming north from rock springs theres plenty of open BLM sage there as well.

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
form is right as per normal.

I still use my laser to bore sight but in the instances when it doesnt get me on paper when im shooting just pull the bolt out and look down the bore and correspond the scope.

Wrench

WKR
Once you get dialed, make a note in your dope that reminds you how much travel you have to zero....or write it on the gun or scope cap.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’m confused… You didn’t remove your scope cap and set it to zero? Or for unmarked cap mark it with paint pen? Or did you spin it far enough that you can’t remember which full revolution you were on? It’s easy to mark it with a paint pen for that as well on most turrets.

I’ve done a few verification shots at many “base camps” or off a forest service road on the way to a spot. Not a big deal.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I’m confused… You didn’t remove your scope cap and set it to zero? Or for unmarked cap mark it with paint pen? Or did you spin it far enough that you can’t remember which full revolution you were on? It’s easy to mark it with a paint pen for that as well on most turrets.

I’ve done a few verification shots at many “base camps” or off a forest service road on the way to a spot. Not a big deal.

Yeah, I spun it down far enough that i forgot my revolutions.
I bore sighted it tonight & I was actually back to where I needed to be, but I'll toss a round through it to be 100% then I'll tape mark it. It'll do until I get home then I can put the damn shims in.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Is this on your Rokslide special with SWFA? You don’t need a zero stop, you can write down which elevation “level” on the turret you ended up closest on, after sighting in.

IMG_5028.jpeg

IMG_5029.jpeg

Wrench

WKR
I hit the lines below my travel with a sharpie as a reminder. The sharpie comes off with alcohol and serves as a quick reminder.

grfox92

WKR
Seems like you got it figured out, but FYI if your on BLM you can shoot just off the road. Some spots I shoot at 100 yards I'm literally on the road (dirt, not county) or 5 feet off of it.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk