Light Weight Scope Help - Dependable Elevation Dialing

Benjblt

WKR
I just bought a lightweight rifle in 6.5 PRC after backing out on a heavier 7MM PRC. I'd like to fit it with a light weight scope that I can dial for elevation. I want a zero stop and would prefer a zero lock. I had my sight set on the Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 mm with the zero lock turret but after hearing for the last several years that they are not dependable and reading this https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-vx-3hd-3-5-10x40mm-cds-zl-field-evaluation.314762/ I don't want to dump $600 in to something that won't ever be what I want it to be. It's a bummer because this scope checked all the boxes at about 13 oz.

So any suggestions? I'd love something at 20 oz or lighter, near 14 power, under $1,000, has an exposed elevation turret that dials dependably up and back to zero. Essentially, everything the VX3 4.5-14x40mm is plus a scope that hold zero and will return to zero.

Concessions: I know I may have to pay up to $1,600. I know that I may have to settle for a different power range. I know that I may have to settle for something noticeably heavier.

Please help! I want to get something within the week that I have confidence in and can set up for two weeks from now.

You’re looking for a unicorn! March has some lighter and reliable scopes but you’ll pay for them. 2.5-10 nxs is bombproof and lighter weight. Trijicon credo line has a good track record but can’t speak for their lighter weight scopes.

You can get into lighter scopes, and they may dial accurately but lose zero quickly along with zero shift from bumps and vibration. The question you need to ask yourself, if it dials accurately and gets you a kill…can you deal with the loss of zero afterwards? I understand the want for reliability, but at some point you aren’t going to get it and you need to decide where you’re willing to make a sacrifice. Heavy and reliable or light and you gamble.

nobody

WKR
SWFA 3-15 would be my suggestion. As mentioned above, you're looking for a Unicorn (as are the rest of us). But this one is in stock, and will be easy to sell on the secondary market if you ever decide to change out.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
SWFA 3-15 would be my suggestion. As mentioned above, you're looking for a Unicorn (as are the rest of us). But this one is in stock, and will be easy to sell on the secondary market if you ever decide to change out.

I might even go for the 3-9.

270quest

WKR
zeiss conquest 4-16x44 is about 21/22 oz...I have the 50mm version on a hard hunted 7 mag thats been dialed hundreds of times, banged around, dropped, basically been abused and always dialed accurately and returned the zero. The optics are also fantastic. Rumor is Zeiss has these made by LOW in japan which has an tremendous reputation for building quality optics.

nobody

WKR
That's a fantastic course of action, but they're on backorder and not something you could pick up this week. But if you can find one on the secondary market that's an even better option.

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
zeiss conquest 4-16x44 is about 21/22 oz...I have the 50mm version on a hard hunted 7 mag thats been dialed hundreds of times, banged around, dropped, basically been abused and always dialed accurately and returned the zero. The optics are also fantastic. Rumor is Zeiss has these made by LOW in japan which has an tremendous reputation for building quality optics.
Yeah I was looking at this one. Just haven't really heard the good things I have about SWFA and Nightforce.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
Here's two of them:

I sometimes wish for more magnification. But not as much as I would wish for a scope I had full confidence in when I've been out in the backcountry for a few days banging around and the time comes to put the crosshairs on an animal.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Here's two of them:
Looks like he's charging full price. Is that what these usually get?

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR

I sometimes wish for more magnification. But not as much as I would wish for a scope I had full confidence in when I've been out in the backcountry for a few days banging around and the time comes to put the crosshairs on an animal.
That's where I'm at. I was so sold on the Leupold VX3HD 4.5-14x40 at that weight and power range but it just doesn't seem like I can trust it's reliability.

nobody

WKR
Looks like he's charging full price. Is that what these usually get?
Yessir, they've been in a state of perpetual backorder since +/- late 2019. Either you buy one at full price lightly used, or you place a backorder and wait for it to come in, whenever it does. If memory serves correct, the last time I spoke with Wendy at SWFA, backorder on the 3-9's was over 100 people deep. You could be waiting a long time if you try to buy new.

But that should tell you how good these 3-9's are.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Yessir, they've been in a state of perpetual backorder since +/- late 2019. Either you buy one at full price lightly used, or you place a backorder and wait for it to come in, whenever it does. If memory serves correct, the last time I spoke with Wendy at SWFA, backorder on the 3-9's was over 100 people deep. You could be waiting a long time if you try to buy new.

But that should tell you how good these 3-9's are.
The 3-9 is designated with a "SS HD" and the 3-15 with "SS", no "HD". Different glass? Coating? Is the 3-9 that much better, clearer?

Marshfly

WKR
Give up 4 ounces and buy the Trijicon Tenmile or Credo. You’ll have it at your house by the weekend. Stop trying to save a tiny bit of weight and just buy the scope that does exactly what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Give up 4 ounces and buy the Trijicon Tenmile or Credo. You’ll have it at your house by the weekend. Stop trying to save a tiny bit of weight and just buy the scope that does exactly what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't say that I love the looks of that reticle.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a lightweight rifle in 6.5 PRC after backing out on a heavier 7MM PRC. I'd like to fit it with a light weight scope that I can dial for elevation. I want a zero stop and would prefer a zero lock. I had my sight set on the Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 mm with the zero lock turret but after hearing for the last several years that they are not dependable and reading this https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-vx-3hd-3-5-10x40mm-cds-zl-field-evaluation.314762/ I don't want to dump $600 in to something that won't ever be what I want it to be. It's a bummer because this scope checked all the boxes at about 13 oz.

So any suggestions? I'd love something at 20 oz or lighter, near 14 power, under $1,000, has an exposed elevation turret that dials dependably up and back to zero. Essentially, everything the VX3 4.5-14x40mm is plus a scope that hold zero and will return to zero.

Concessions: I know I may have to pay up to $1,600. I know that I may have to settle for a different power range. I know that I may have to settle for something noticeably heavier.

Please help! I want to get something within the week that I have confidence in and can set up for two weeks from now.
I own 3 of those leupold scopes and I have never had any issues.