Versatile hunting dog e-collar

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
While I’ve always hunted with retrievers, this is my first versatile dog. What are you guys running for e-collars. My buddy has an older, sport dog I believe, that beeps when his wire hair stops and points. I have a Dogtra for my retriever but would like something that has some tracking capabilities and preferably a notification when pointing. Thanks for the feedback!

Meet Remi, my year old Pudelpointer.
6d2417ae2bdf0a9cf4226b199d918435.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Sport dogs are pretty user friendly.
I am running Garmin combination GPS and training collars on my hounds. No complaints.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Beautiful dog

I'm running a Garmin Delta XC on my GSP as I could not afford the combo training/gps at the time. It's okay, has tones, vibes, intermittent or continuous stimulation. Battery life is good, seems to hold up to full speed faceplants when training with a ball.

I plan to buy a garmin alpha 100 bundle in the new year once I save up (it's over $1000 cdn with exchange, not sold in Canada). Every person I know that runs hounds has this collar.

Beautiful pup! Where is he out of?

I have the garmin alpha and it has been a great unit, so far. Since you already have e-collars for training, you could look into dogtra's pathfinder unit for hunting applications. Functionally it wouldn't be a great training collar, but for hunting purposes, it certainly is something worth looking at.

Sport Dog 2.0 Tracking and Training collar for the Vizsla. Like it so far but is only a month old. Has the features the original poster is looking for. Canada has some weird laws on electronics and it did not appear the Garmin Alfa 100 was legal to own up here and the 900 was a lesser model.

I10duck

FNG
Hell yes! Pm me! I’ve got a 17 month old female PP
Any way. We want the Garmin 550 with tt15 mini
For tracking and training all in 1

K

Kootenay Hunter

Sport Dog 2.0 Tracking and Training collar for the Vizsla. Like it so far but is only a month old. Has the features the original poster is looking for. Canada has some weird laws on electronics and it did not appear the Garmin Alfa 100 was legal to own up here and the 900 was a lesser model.

Correct, it did not get approval by the CRTC or whatever, but no dog group has gotten a straight answer why. Lots of people have bought the Alpha unit in the states and use it in Canada with no issues, so far the radio cops have not caught up to them. It's the same with handheld radios, most are illegal to use without a licence and must be lower than 5w, but lots of people rocking them on FSRs with no issues.

Wrench

WKR
I usually use a simple wide dog collar. Its inhumanely use e-collars as for me.
Ever had $1500 dog with years of training get locked on point in places you can't see them?

Suddenly some location or stimulation seems more humane than letting them starve to death alone.

TSAMP

WKR
Dogtra 2700 t&b for me. Beeper does what I need. I have had it 2 years and honestly charged it less than 10 times. I feel like hunting with guys with GPS collars is like hunting with teenage girls and cellphones. They rarely look up and its annoying.

Lookout85

FNG
Garmin Alpha for my viszlas. Have used for many years. Prefer newer mini collars charging design vs bigger units.

Also you can use a Garmin Fenix or instinct watch to see direction/distance without looking at handheld.