Vivo forest tracker esc durability

I’ve been using Altras to hunt in for years and have found them to be great except for one thing. With much side hilling the insoles slide out of place to the side of the shoe that’s facing downhill. With the flex that the Tracker ESCs seem to have, has anyone experienced this issue with them?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve been using Altras to hunt in for years and have found them to be great except for one thing. With much side hilling the insoles slide out of place to the side of the shoe that’s facing downhill. With the flex that the Tracker ESCs seem to have, has anyone experienced this issue with them?

Nope. Not the way the are built.

Braaap

WKR
Altra’s suck in comparison. I’ve had 3-4 pairs of Alta Lone Peak’s and they’re great shoes (it’s what I wear daily) and they are awful off trail and side hilling.

Insoles:

Has anyone tried aftermarket insoles with the Trackers? The one that comes with is super thin with no structure. I generally prefer a more padded insole for long distance comfort in the mountains. Does adding this type of insole defeat the purpose of this design?

I am a true 8.5. In boots I wear a 9 to accommodate an insole and Darn Tough socks. The Vivo guide put me at an 8. Wearing a thin wool sock, a synthetic liner with the stock insole, I feel my foot is a bit cramped in height. Going to try a size 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get them, and if so, what are your thoughts? Any use (scouting?) in high/wet/rocky areas in Alaska?

Did you get them, and if so, what are your thoughts? Any use (scouting?) in high/wet/rocky areas in Alaska?
I bought the size 9 and run Sof Sole insoles in them. Super comfortable and just the right amount of cushioning for me.
I’ve been wearing them for work and in everyday life, as well as weighted pack training. Went up a 4k ft peak in the Chugach front range last week with 40 lbs on my back. The ankle support is sufficient, as your foot is so stable in them anyhow. They have great grip.
Two things I worry about for using them for hunting the alpine is one, physical damage to your foot from loose rock and two, straining your foot when descending steep terrain with a heavy load. Your feet strengthen wearing these, but put 80+ lbs on your back and the risk of an injury increases for sure.
I’ll be using them for deer hunting on Kodiak this fall and maybe even some sheep scouting coming up. I won’t be using them for a true sheep hunt though.

Thanks, appreciate it. I'm going to give them a shot, starting with trying some alpine scouting/hiking, and if all is well I'll take them for alpine Blacktail this fall.

ledflight

WKR
I just ordered some from the amz, they have some sizes for under $200.
I admit I am not sure if my feet are up for this but every other boot I try feels to stiff.

I just ordered some from the amz, they have some sizes for under $200.
I admit I am not sure if my feet are up for this but every other boot I try feels to stiff.
If you get them and you find it's a little too much too quick. Try rocking some Altras first to get your feet used to the zero drop thing.

ledflight

WKR
If you get them and you find it's a little too much too quick. Try rocking some Altras first to get your feet used to the zero drop thing.
Oh I am wearing Altras a long time and all my other footwear is zero drop. I have Lone Peak for the warm seasons, just looking for something for colder, wetter times.
There were a lot of Altra and Vivo cheap on Sierra recently FYI.

Pretty nice shoes! They feel a lot like wearing wrestling shoes (which I used to wear around quite a bit, including hiking and jogging, once the season ended back when I was wrestling/boxing)-- except more protective, a nice grip for off-trail travel, and water resistant. I put them through big paces the last two days scouting for mountain goat, including miles of brush busting at low elevation in SE Alaska, creek rock walking, climbing up to alpine, etc. Feet definitely got wet by the end of a long day 1 of forest and muskeg hiking, but it took a lot for that to happen and their breathability helps a lot to refresh them. A change of socks and I would have been dry again after leaving the muskegs/lakes. I think it works so well because of the high-quality leather and the mesh lining on the inside-- keeps air moving while you walk. Stayed dry a lot longer than Inov-8 Roclites (though not nearly as long as my Lowa Tibets), and unlike the Inov-8 goretex, they can be walked dry. The soft leather works really great for sealing against gaiters, which is a huge bonus for stream crossing.

Overall, they feel very nimble, like I'm ready to fight (again, like wresting shoes). I have some abrasion/rubbed off finish around the toe and sides, but not bad considering the rock terrain I got up to. Soles did great.

Bonus is my wife says they look cool and fashionable :)

Since this has somewhat turned into a general Vivobarefoot boot discussion, Sierra.com started stocking Vivobarefoot on closeout. Models are added at random and sell out fast, but seem to be restocked often. I picked up the Magna Lite SG in green size 11 for $99 (reg. $210) last week. As of this post there are Magna Forest ESC in white/grey size 10 and 13.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
This thread convinced me to try the tracker esc I got mine on Huckberry for way less than amazon or anywhere else. Only problem is limitied sizing so if I end up needing to size up Im out of luck

seww

WKR
This thread convinced me to try the tracker esc I got mine on Huckberry for way less than amazon or anywhere else. Only problem is limitied sizing so if I end up needing to size up Im out of luck

Thank you for the tip! Been searching for these on sale! Just hoping the size works!

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty nice shoes! They feel a lot like wearing wrestling shoes (which I used to wear around quite a bit, including hiking and jogging, once the season ended back when I was wrestling/boxing)-- except more protective, a nice grip for off-trail travel, and water resistant. I put them through big paces the last two days scouting for mountain goat, including miles of brush busting at low elevation in SE Alaska, creek rock walking, climbing up to alpine, etc. Feet definitely got wet by the end of a long day 1 of forest and muskeg hiking, but it took a lot for that to happen and their breathability helps a lot to refresh them. A change of socks and I would have been dry again after leaving the muskegs/lakes. I think it works so well because of the high-quality leather and the mesh lining on the inside-- keeps air moving while you walk. Stayed dry a lot longer than Inov-8 Roclites (though not nearly as long as my Lowa Tibets), and unlike the Inov-8 goretex, they can be walked dry. The soft leather works really great for sealing against gaiters, which is a huge bonus for stream crossing.

Overall, they feel very nimble, like I'm ready to fight (again, like wresting shoes). I have some abrasion/rubbed off finish around the toe and sides, but not bad considering the rock terrain I got up to. Soles did great.

Bonus is my wife says they look cool and fashionable :)
Funny you say that because my wife calls mine "clown shoes".

I bought some Magna ESCs and find them really comfortable for everyday wear and have been using the Primus Lites for running and really appreciate the breathability. I guess at this point I am a convert.

Just putting this out there. I was emailing with vivo and the rep said that this fall they will be coming out with some new shoes/boots with the Michelin sole. But they wouldnt give any details past that.

Last edited:

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
So disappointed, I got the size 11(largest avaliable on huckberry) after sizing using the app from vivo which told me I should get a 10. I'm usually an 11 or 11.5. I took them on a 4 mile practice ruck with 50lbs and on the descents I could just feel my toe hitting the end of the boot. Guessing I need a 12... which is like $100 more

Last edited:

seww

WKR
I just received my Vivo's, ordered a size 9 as I was just at the maximum length for a size 8, but concerned they're too large. Got plenty of wiggle room in the front of my toes.
Anyone else have the same fit?

sndmn11

WKR
I just received my Vivo's, ordered a size 9 as I was just at the maximum length for a size 8, but concerned they're too large. Got plenty of wiggle room in the front of my toes.
Anyone else have the same fit?
If you ordered direct they give you 100 days to use them and return.