Vortex HD LHT

BCD

WKR
I wouldn't mind If the issue would only be visible when cranked up but when you're hunting in lowest light the additional glare gets pretty annoying even on the lowest setting. For my taste the lowest setting is a bit too bright for full moon stalking but maybe I'll try to tweak it with a 1,5V battery (should get it even dimmer). But if there wouldn't exist the "red ring" that can be noticed from the picture at page #7 it would be okay, bleeding isn't really an issue with lower brightness but the dim glare ring appearing in the ocular view is. I'll try to take some pictures as well tomorrow.
Interesting- I wonder if the lower voltage battery would help. I have an LHT on order.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
They all bleed.

Not that big of a deal to me, I don’t like mine very high but it’s been there on all 3 I’ve owned when cranked up.
I would recommend lowering the brightness setting you are using if you are experiencing this. What you are seeing is indicative of using too high of an illumination setting for the ambient light condition. As always, if you feel something is going on with your optics they are fully covered by the VIP Warranty and we would be more than happy to take a look at them for you to ensure they are working properly!

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I would recommend lowering the brightness setting you are using if you are experiencing this. What you are seeing is indicative of using too high of an illumination setting for the ambient light condition. As always, if you feel something is going on with your optics they are fully covered by the VIP Warranty and we would be more than happy to take a look at them for you to ensure they are working properly!

Problem is he said it was annoying even on the lowest setting.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Problem is he said it was annoying even on the lowest setting.
I'd be really interested to see pictures of a video of that. It's definitely not something I have heard of before with the LHTs in normal lighting conditions.

I'd be really interested to see pictures of a video of that. It's definitely not something I have heard of before with the LHTs in normal lighting conditions.
I have a MOA in 3-15x42. Is there any plans of a 4-20x44 or 50? If it was possible and around 20-21 oz, that would be pretty slick.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a MOA in 3-15x42. Is there any plans of a 4-20x44 or 50? If it was possible and around 20-21 oz, that would be pretty slick.
I'm not aware of any plans for something along those lines at this time, but I think that would be a great addition to the lineup! Keeping it at that weight might be a challenge, but I'll certainly pass the feedback along! I appreciate it, my friend!

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
@mwf008 how did you end up with your Razor LHT? I just bought the same scope and use it a lot in dusk, so the illumination problem for me is severe. Other than that I think this is the best scope taking into account price, weight and glass. I'd really appreciate the input if illumination can be corrected with service. Sorry for my English and greetings from a new member from Finland!
I ended up sending the first one back for a refund. I later found an even better deal on the LHT and bought it again. I hunted with it all season and love it. The illumination in the newer one is better, not nearly as much bleeding.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I ended up sending the first one back for a refund. I later found an even better deal on the LHT and bought it again. I hunted with it all season and love it. The illumination in the newer one is better, not nearly as much bleeding.
Interesting - I'm glad the new one seems to be working better for you. If you ever have anything else like that come up, don't hesitate to reach out!

Jusbert

FNG
Sorry for taking so long before pictures. IMG_20210108_201901-1152x864.jpg
This one is taken on dimmest setting and lighting conditions are better than normal stalking after sunset. The dot doesn't bleed to reticle but you can see a reflecting ring from objective and one ring on ocular. If you aren't looking from completely straight line to scope the ocular glare is worse:IMG_20210108_201736-1152x864.jpg
Next I put it on setting 3 if I remember right:
IMG_20210108_201946-1152x864.jpg
Then full power, bleeding gets to reticle as well:
IMG_20210108_202029-1152x864.jpg
Again If you are not looking completely straight behing scope it seems even worse:
IMG_20210108_202034-1152x864.jpg

Interesting to hear that @mwf008 your second scope was better. That would make it seem there could be some QC issue. Main problem with my situation is that because we don't have this LHT available with HSR-5i reticle here in Finland I bought this scope from Euro-optics and wouldn't like the option to send it back to US (takes a lot of time during hunting season and gets extra costs). I don't know about our Vortex importer way of dealing with warranty issues with scopes bought elsewhere and I wouldn't want to do it "difficult customer" way by causing any unnecessary attention by showing these reviews all over internet to get service... Of course If this model was available here I would have got it that way because it sure is hard to get anything from US. That's why I want to be 100% sure this really is serviceable issue and not some feature coming from bad implementation of illumination because the issue seems to be more universal.

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for taking so long before pictures. View attachment 250750
This one is taken on dimmest setting and lighting conditions are better than normal stalking after sunset. The dot doesn't bleed to reticle but you can see a reflecting ring from objective and one ring on ocular. If you aren't looking from completely straight line to scope the ocular glare is worse:View attachment 250751
View attachment 250752
View attachment 250753
Again If you are not looking completely straight behing scope it seems even worse:
View attachment 250754

Interesting to hear that @mwf008 your second scope was better. That would make it seem there could be some QC issue. Main problem with my situation is that because we don't have this LHT available with HSR-5i reticle here in Finland I bought this scope from Euro-optics and wouldn't like the option to send it back to US (takes a lot of time during hunting season and gets extra costs). I don't know about our Vortex importer way of dealing with warranty issues with scopes bought elsewhere and I wouldn't want to do it "difficult customer" way by causing any unnecessary attention by showing these reviews all over internet to get service... Of course If this model was available here I would have got it that way because it sure is hard to get anything from US. That's why I want to be 100% sure this really is serviceable issue and not some feature coming from bad implementation of illumination because the issue seems to be more universal.
When I got the first one, I posted pics on here and of course I had people saying ‘who cares, just don’t use the illumination.’ When I buy something, I want it to work as intended, period. I later called vortex directly and they agreed that what I had was unacceptable and faulty. I sent that one back to the retailer I bought it from for a refund. I bought a zeiss v4 and hunted and shot with that for a few months but I kept wanting for the vortex. When a good deal came along I jumped on it and mounted the zeiss on my .308 AR. The truth is, the scope is so good I was willing to put up with the bleeding on the second round at the price point I paid for it. It was better than the first, although still not prefect. I have an AMG Vortex on a bergara and a razor 1-6 that I shot a lot of 3 gun with, both illuminations work great. Not sure why vortex is struggling with these LHT’s.

Jusbert

FNG
When I got the first one, I posted pics on here and of course I had people saying ‘who cares, just don’t use the illumination.’ When I buy something, I want it to work as intended, period. I later called vortex directly and they agreed that what I had was unacceptable and faulty. I sent that one back to the retailer I bought it from for a refund. I bought a zeiss v4 and hunted and shot with that for a few months but I kept wanting for the vortex. When a good deal came along I jumped on it and mounted the zeiss on my .308 AR. The truth is, the scope is so good I was willing to put up with the bleeding on the second round at the price point I paid for it. It was better than the first, although still not prefect. I have an AMG Vortex on a bergara and a razor 1-6 that I shot a lot of 3 gun with, both illuminations work great. Not sure why vortex is struggling with these LHT’s.
That is exactly my thought. My priority for this scope is hunting and I happen to do it a lot in twilight when illumination is absolutely needed. But I also shoot for long range practise and want the scope to be suited for it also so I didn't opt for a hunting-only scope like V4 (of which typically has better illumination suited for hunting). Because Vortex mainly advertize this LHT line for hunters I thought things like that have been taken into account. Because glass quality is perfectly adequate for twilight hunting this illumination issue really ruins orherwise 5/5 scope. The reticle is perfect combination for both applications but is too thin in twilight without any illumination. I've read that with BDC reticle users haven't had so bad experiences with illumination so something with assembling illumination with this reticle got to be wrong when there's variation on how bad the issue is. Just really confusing because as a consumer I would think that illumination would have been built with same components and implementation as the rest of Vortex/Razor line.

bradb

WKR
I dont have bleeding you do. Of course even in the very worst darkest of legal shooting light conditions its easy to see the reticle. So I am in the could care less if I even have the battery in the scope.

Jusbert

FNG
I dont have bleeding you do. Of course even in the very worst darkest of legal shooting light conditions its easy to see the reticle. So I am in the could care less if I even have the battery in the scope.
Good for you. Too bad you have legislation to restrict your hunting time. But I think that's the only thing we have better what comes to comparing legislations. Now that we have plenty of snow 24/7 visibility isn't an issue - only gear is and my other scopes in this budget are still up to this task (Meopta etc.).

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry for taking so long before pictures. View attachment 250750
This one is taken on dimmest setting and lighting conditions are better than normal stalking after sunset. The dot doesn't bleed to reticle but you can see a reflecting ring from objective and one ring on ocular. If you aren't looking from completely straight line to scope the ocular glare is worse:View attachment 250751
View attachment 250752
View attachment 250753
View attachment 250754

Thanks for sending those pictures! One important aspect to consider in these pictures is that it was taken indoors in a darkly light room. In those condition you will experience the "bleeding" as you are seeing the reflection of the illumination. We'd definitely be more than happy to bring it in though and make sure everything is working properly. If you would like to get it in here, give us a call at 1-800-4VORTEX ext. 6!

The only thing I don’t like is no FFP... In a high stress hunting situation I could see missing the fact that I wasn’t on full power and missing. In fact I’ve seen a buddy do it.

BCsteve

WKR
I picked up an LHT in moa this morning, I like what I see so far. I have some Sportmatch rings on the way. Its going to go on my Tikka 6.5x55.

Jusbert

FNG
Thanks for sending those pictures! One important aspect to consider in these pictures is that it was taken indoors in a darkly light room. In those condition you will experience the "bleeding" as you are seeing the reflection of the illumination. We'd definitely be more than happy to bring it in though and make sure everything is working properly. If you would like to get it in here, give us a call at 1-800-4VORTEX ext. 6!
Thanks I appreciate it and I will definitely consider sending it after seson and when I've first checked what our importer says. Do you have e-mail address I could contact because overseas phone calls can get really pricy and there's always possibility for misunderstanding when speaking other than my native language..

I'll take some more photos when I'm next time hunting, that dark indoors I was in mimics conditions in stalking "hide" and light conditions outside were a bit brighter comparing to typical hunt situation because of street lights. For reference here's one pic taken with typical hunting reticle and illumination through Meopta @ 01 a.m.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1610400942822.jpg
    FB_IMG_1610400942822.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 79

Bater

WKR
Just ordered another, just about the perfect western lightweight hunting scope. I wouldn’t change a thing.

I picked one up a few weeks ago to give it a try. Will be testing it out on a Kodiak goat hunt here in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk