VX6HD vs Ziess V6 vs NXS

skierhs

WKR
You’ll never doubt your zero or a single click. You may pay the weight penalty but that’s nothing compared to knowing your rifle is still good on any hunt.

WKR
If you are looking a scope that wont fail you on dialing and is lightweight, look at March scopes. They weigh 22oz for their 3-24x42, FFP/mil. They have spf/moa options as well. I think the glass is better then my nxs and 100 moa for elevation and windage, it would be hard to run out. Just a little more then a nxs.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Not to derail the thread but what was your set up like for the moose and even elk? Caliber, scope, ballistic computer, gun etc if you don’t mind sharing or feel free to pm unless we can read about it somewhere else.

Both were 338 EDGE +Ps from Defensive Edge
Moose was shot with a 300 SMK; bullet didn't open
Used Bullet Flight and Leica 1600-B
906fca1aa1a68a09ac239619b7c13743.jpg

5bd86275a0bde091ecf21bd07c6539de.jpg

Elk was shot with a 300 Berger OTM. It kind of opened.
Used Bullet Flight with Leica 1600-B
cd58de2be702f73cca62dafa9cd9f0db.jpg

47e19ddc374571c669f34cd0ca5ee002.jpg

I am torn about shooting this far at animals. The rifles will do it, but the bullet design is not consistent enough IMO.

Last edited:

skierhs

WKR
Both were 338 EDGE +Ps from Defensive Edge
Moose was shot with a 300 SMK; bullet didn't open
Used Bullet Flight and Leica 1600-B
906fca1aa1a68a09ac239619b7c13743.jpg

5bd86275a0bde091ecf21bd07c6539de.jpg

Elk was shot with a 300 Berger OTM. It kind of opened.
Used Bullet Flight with Leica 1600-B
cd58de2be702f73cca62dafa9cd9f0db.jpg

47e19ddc374571c669f34cd0ca5ee002.jpg

I am torn about shooting this far at animals. The rifles will do it, but the bullet design is not consistent enough IMO.
Thanks for the info! Without it opening that may be a even more impressive shot because of how much less error is allowed with essentially a big field point. I personally enjoy the longer shot( don’t have the skill to take a animal at those distances) and that pushed me up into a 338LM. I’m excited to get some spring baits out in Idaho and stretch it’s legs some.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing that bugs me about a nightforce is not having a capped windage turret on the nxs. Reliability is so solid the weight penalty doesnt bother me much. But knowing myself I worry about twisting the windage putting in and out of my pack and not checking before I shoot. But I know that may only be a problem for dummies like me....

carter33

WKR
Only thing that bugs me about a nightforce is not having a capped windage turret on the nxs. Reliability is so solid the weight penalty doesnt bother me much. But knowing myself I worry about twisting the windage putting in and out of my pack and not checking before I shoot. But I know that may only be a problem for dummies like me....

Not alone on this, I had a nightforce mounted on my hunting rifle for roughly a year and had the windage turret shift at least twice incidentally. That being said I made checking it part of my shooting process and standard rifle check. Never had an issue when a shot mattered in hunting scenario, just another item to be cognizant of.

I am using a leupold vx6hd now and appreciate the windage and elevation stop feature in a more lightweight package. I have shot out to 1000m with it dialing and came back to zero multiple times without issue(not rapidly I will add though). That is only my experience though as I know a few on the forums have had issue with leupolds dialing correctly.

skierhs

WKR
Not alone on this, I had a nightforce mounted on my hunting rifle for roughly a year and had the windage turret shift at least twice incidentally. That being said I made checking it part of my shooting process and standard rifle check. Never had an issue when a shot mattered in hunting scenario, just another item to be cognizant of.

I am using a leupold vx6hd now and appreciate the windage and elevation stop feature in a more lightweight package. I have shot out to 1000m with it dialing and came back to zero multiple times without issue(not rapidly I will add though). That is only my experience though as I know a few on the forums have had issue with leupolds dialing correctly.
You may want to check out the atacr series then. They do offer a capped windage and they do offer is in sfp which saves some money as well. I really like the glass and having the capped windage is a big plus as well. I also find the ilumanition my favorite system on the NF atacr line out of the other scopes listed.

TravKatQ

WKR

You can get the Gunwerks version of the nxs and it has a capped windage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody used the moar reticle from nightforce? Can it get lost in a busy background? I see some non illuminated reticles available with capped windage

skierhs

WKR
Has anybody used the moar reticle from nightforce? Can it get lost in a busy background? I see some non illuminated reticles available with capped windage
I have never had a issue with it getting lost in a busy background. There are a few times at night that I turn on the illumination that showed the far ends of the reticle better but that was because of night and not a busy background. I really like the moar especially when on lower power since there center make a little “box” that creates a lot more usability on low power I find.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have been thinking about scopes a lot.... It's an illness really. If Huskemaw had better glass it would be my scope of choice. Yeah, it's not perfect. But its light and the two I have used dialed well. I tried to break them.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about scopes a lot.... It's an illness really. If Huskemaw had better glass it would be my scope of choice. Yeah, it's not perfect. But its light and the two I have used dialed well. I tried to break them.

Really? I never hear those being talked about. That’s the ones with the blue elevation dials right?

And just how bad is the glass? Is it’s just ok, or actually disappointing?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Really? I never hear those being talked about. That’s the ones with the blue elevation dials right?

And just how bad is the glass? Is it’s just ok, or actually disappointing?

Yes, the blue ones.

I am not a comp shooter so I don't need a lot of the bells and whistles that come with those scopes. I need a simple zero stop, a scope that dials every time. Here is the hardest part, It must be lightweight. I carry this sucker far more than I shoot it. Unfortunately lightweight, dialing and returning to zero don't go hand in hand for the most part. But like I said I tried to break the husky's and they kept on tracking.

BUT, their glass is almost unusable at times(low light). My wife and I got into a big fight waiting for a buck to stand up because she thought her scope was fogged up, I said nope is a Huskemaw:)

rodney482

WKR
I shot a bull moose at 1775 and a bull elk at 1583 with the NXS.

I would not have even attempted it with the other two.

You have to have 100% confidence in your equipment. I trust NF, the others not so much.

Which NF are you using

ofl0926

WKR
Yes, the blue ones.

I am not a comp shooter so I don't need a lot of the bells and whistles that come with those scopes. I need a simple zero stop, a scope that dials every time. Here is the hardest part, It must be lightweight. I carry this sucker far more than I shoot it. Unfortunately lightweight, dialing and returning to zero don't go hand in hand for the most part. But like I said I tried to break the husky's and they kept on tracking.

BUT, their glass is almost unusable at times(low light). My wife and I got into a big fight waiting for a buck to stand up because she thought her scope was fogged up, I said nope is a Huskemaw:)

Ryan any thoughts on Steiner t5xi?

Ryan any thoughts on Steiner t5xi?

They were released with a lot of hype 3 or 4 years back and they sold a bunch. Many of them had tracking and other issues and there was a pretty big backlash. From what I've read, they have corrected the issues and warranteed the faulty ones and are generally thought to be a good option in their price range.