Wall Tent Question

ToolMann

WKR
Finally buying a wall tent for a few reasons. Deciding between Davis and Wall Tent Shop. My question is in regard to treatment options. Is fire treated really necessary? I will be using wood stove and will have a fly on top. How many of you roll with just the water and mildew treatment?

TM

sneaky

"DADDY"
Fire treatment not only costs more, it's heavier, and it stinks. There's only a handful of states that require it.... led by California. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Yeah - just get the water treatment.

And when in the future you can retreat the tent with Canvak

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sportsman's Warehouse had a wall tent set up in their store for a couple years. Even after two years of being set up I couldn't stand going into that store because of the smell of that fire treatment. It's horrible, it smelled up the entire store. No way I could ever sleep or even spend more than a minute in one of those tents with fire treatment.

wytx

WKR
If you can spring for a front awning too.
Window on back wall, opposite the door for ventilation.

hunterjmj

WKR
I'd get the water treatment as well but the most important thing is to never pack it up wet. I've had my wall tent for 30 years and it's still going strong. I hang it up as soon as I get home if it had any type of moisture. B3BD4DC7-295D-4AD6-BB32-2DA8028000B7.jpeg

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I live in CA and was forced to get the fire treatment with my Davis wall tent. It does stink but doesn't prevent me from being comfortable inside and getting a good sleep. I found that hosing it down multiple times really helped.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
If you can spring for a front awning too.
Window on back wall, opposite the door for ventilation.
Both of these are in my plans! One of the reasons I'm learning towards Wall Tent Shop. Their extras seem more economical.

jaytaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I can vouch for Davis Tents. Me and my buddy have two of them. Been to their shop in Denver, they do quality work.

ikeG

FNG
Wall tent shop quality is great. Get 2 doors, like stated above. I also read somewhere, someone recommended the stove jack be in a wall instead of the roof.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Finally buying a wall tent for a few reasons. Deciding between Davis and Wall Tent Shop. My question is in regard to treatment options. Is fire treated really necessary? I will be using wood stove and will have a fly on top. How many of you roll with just the water and mildew treatment?

TM
I bought from wall tent shop. I got both mildew and fire treatment. I don’t know how the fire treatment works or if it’s worked. Because like you, I always run a fly. But, it’s a lifetime investment so the extra money wasn’t a big deal to me.

Wall tent shop quality is great. Get 2 doors, like stated above. I also read somewhere, someone recommended the stove jack be in a wall instead of the roof.

The guy from wall tent shop recommends stove jack in the roof. Wind doesn’t affect it as much. Plus, the fly protects it from sparks.

I would highly recommend NOT having a stove jack in the wall. I have a 10x12ft canvas elk tent for about 7 years now and use it at least a dozen times a year. It has a sidewall stove jack and it absolutely 100% SUCKS!!! It's main reason I am looking for a new tent.

I freaking hate it. It's such a pain in the ass with the stove pipes having to do 90 degrees to get out and then to go up. The weight of the pipes makes is susceptible to the pipe coming out of the stove or getting knocked off by wind. It's also a LOT harder to draft correctly and is a finicky bit%h. I'll never again get an elk tent with the stove jack in the side.

Under optimal conditions, there's not much issue with sidewall stove jack, but if you're camping more than 2-3 days, there's going be either a storm, wind, rain, snow, etc, that's going to screw with your stove and pipes.

Over the years I've got it pretty much dialed in, but a lot of the stress, bad experiences, and extra steps to make sure it's secure would be easily avoided if I had a stove jack in the roof instead.

If you're worried about burn holes in the roof, put in a spark screen.