Wall tent size

Jmort1754

WKR
We are purchasing a wall tent this year-

Will be American so leaning towards Montana.
The questions we have-

3-4 guys what size would you all recommend?

A 12x14 would be the smallest for 4 guys. Lots of room for 3 guys and a big table. The 14x16 may be best for your needs. Get a porch with it too. That extra covered space is awesome for another table, firewood, packs.

go_deep

WKR
Davis Tents, at least 14x16.
I have a 12x12 and 14x16. There's no physical way you could get 4 guys into my 12x12.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I would agree with the 14x16 -- often overlooked is how much space the stove will take up. After you account for the position of the stove jack, size of the stove, and a 2' standoff around the stove you are accounting for a space near 5' x 7'

The Montana Canvas Tent is the way to go and we offer them at 5% below retail, ship for free, and have no sales tax if shipped outside of Idaho.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out!

Davis Tent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Like others have stated a 14x16 would be the minimum size we would recommend. Other things to consider when looking at which size of tent to purchase is a cooking station, eating area, and if you plan on using a wood stove to heat your tent. Good luck in your tent purchase!

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with above. 4 hunters and a stove, a 14x16 is the smallest I'd go.

As a comparison, My 10x12 with the stove and 5' porch is perfect for 2. You could squeeze a 3rd and still have a bit of personal space and maintain stove clearance. To do 4 you'd be tripping on each other and would probably be to close to the stove and end up needing to ditch it (defeating the purpose all together).\

Going to 12x14 is only a marginal increase and still very tight with 4.

My tents manufacturer recommends the stove be at least 3' from the walls and any gear/bunks. Pretty much loose 25% of the floor space of my 10x12 using the stove.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like my space, I use a 14x16 solo or with my buddy......and that's without the stove. I've had three in there while hunting and wouldn't want more than that. With my wife and 3 kids it's barely OK, but we aren't hunting when we use it. With four I'd want the 16x20 especially with a stove and a table.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Our camp has between 3-5 people depending on year or time during season. We use 2 12x14 tents. One for a sleep tent and one for a cook tent/hang out area. Both with wood stoves. Our sleep tent has 4 ft walls and the cook tent has 5 ft. The 5 ft walls makes a big difference in room. It's also nice to be able to dry clothes out in the sleep tent and not cook you out because of having another tent to go to. Just a thought!

It depends on how long you intend to leave it up and live in it. These are two separate questions. If loading it up with wood and supplies, a 20 footer makes far more sense. In fact, I would consider that a minimum if staying a week or longer.

Attachments

• IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    392.7 KB · Views: 47

Brillo

FNG
I may be too late to help with this but here ya go... I own a Davis 12 X 14 which we have used Oct through Nov in Michigan. Usually two people but have slept four without the stove installed. In that case we use a Big Buddy heater and it warms the space OK. Now we are planning to have three people plus the stove for the foreseeable future so I bought a 12 X 10 cook shack to add on. The reason is all the heavy and often wet clothes of the late season. They can really make things crowded and so can three bug dudes. We will be maxed out at three men once the snow starts. I have tried a travel trailer and a pop up but far prefer the tent, cots and wood stove for comfort. The cook shack will also be used alone but with an awning for spring turkey hunting and vehicle based fishing trips . I ordered it with two screen doors. If you are going to be using a wood stove get the 14 X 16 for three to four. Will seem tight with four.

lvtuna

FNG
14 x 16 is recommended for 3 to 4 people. Davis is made in Colorado. I purchased 14 x 16 three years ago. Davis is very easy to talk to. They will assist you with your questions.

300ELK

FNG
I have two 12x14 one Montana and one Davis. The Davis has two doors we but the tents up, sleep in one and cook and hangout in the other. With this set up last year there was 5 of us. Thats pushing it I think 3-4 would be just right. Also having the extra guy help put up and break camp is nice. So keep that in mind the bigger the tent the more work.

As many others have stated a 14x16 would be minimum size for 4 people with a stove. I’d prefer the 16x20 - or get 2 smaller tents, one for sleeping in and one for cooking and storing gear.

Which is better in your guys’ opinion, one big tent or two smaller tents, one for sleeping and another for cooking and hanging out? I’m leaning towards the latter because you can choose to take a nap or hang out or cook. But I guess the downside is more time setting up and taking down, and also the need for two stoves for warmth. In archery season though you often don’t even need a stove for warmth, and you can just cook off a gas griddle. Thanks

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Like you mentioned, both have their pros and cons. For us, we like the two tent setup. Works better for our space, being able to crank up the sleep tent to dry our soaked gear and hang out in the cook tent, naps like you said, etc. Having two stoves is a little more bulk. Being able to haul two seperate tents into camp on different wheelers is a bonus too. If you can drive your pickup to your camp it probably wouldn't matter.