Warm, quiet camo for a tight budget newbie?

andydwyer

WKR
Hey everybody -- just started archery whitetail hunting in Michigan this fall and hopefully turkeys in the spring. My friend lent me his old bow and got me going, but I keep getting busted when I'm shivering or wearing some of my ski gear that sounds like cellohane in the woods. I suppose hunting from the ground isn't helping, but I'm going to cobble together a saddle setup with my old rock harness and try it out while I'm picking trees this spring.

I've got base layers and fleece, but no outerwear that will help with the wind while staying quiet. Picked up an heavy wool shirt at the military surplus for a few bucks that was nice in October, but could use a little something more.

So, any ideas for a broke new hunter looking to stay warm, quiet and stick to a tight budget? We're trying for the first kid and saving up. 😬😬

Old wool things you guys have found work well? Clearance spots I should check out in the off season? Any help is appreciated!

Also, any other tips for staying warm are welcome 😂

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas or feild and stream parkas of some sort are pretty cheap and usually pretty warm, watch for deals they will eventually pop up

Wrench

WKR
I'm at a point in life where I can buy whatever I want. My personal late season archery outfit is filson wool bibs and a wool coat. I could do jumping Jacks and you wouldn't hear me.

You could buy my outfit at a thrift store for under $50 with some luck.

LightFoot

WKR
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-mens-ozark-insulated-bib#repChildCatid=7061520

I have these, and for the money, they are great. I have worn them comfortably down to 28 degrees or so without a midlayer. Looks like they are mostly out of stock, but keep your eye on them.

The BassPro/Cabelas branded bib/jackets look very similar and are on sale right now.

>>>----JAKE----->

Last edited:

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Most of us have been in the same position. I feel your pain for sure. I am just past that season of my life but still struggle to find pieces that fit my needs that are within my budget. Cabelas has there MT050 whitetail extreme pants on sale thru today. They are goretex and insulated. 149$ is a good price for mid range quality. Get a few more posts going on here and put your feelers out in the classifieds and I am sure the guys here can help you out with some stuff they have laying around.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
If you find what you are looking for at Cabelas or Bass Pro go to raise.com and buy gift cards for 14% off first, then go to ActiveJunky.com and purchase them and get another 7% back.

ericF

WKR
Look at Midwayusa. This time of year they clearance all their house brand hunting clothing and you can get alot of it at 50% off. If you keep waiting it should start dropping in price even farther over the next couple months.

Look at Midwayusa. This time of year they clearance all their house brand hunting clothing and you can get alot of it at 50% off. If you keep waiting it should start dropping in price even farther over the next couple months.

That what I was gonna suggest.
They even have stuff in tall.
So much better when I dont have plumber crack while hunting. 😁

fatlander

WKR
You don’t need camo. Quality wool outer layers is probably going to cost more than camo, like the previously mentioned filson. If you really want to be warm and save money, get an artic shield body suit.
Wear anything under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
If you're hunting on the ground - get cheap fleece and merino wool, solid colors, whatever quiet insulating layers you can find, then cover with a cheap ghillie suit. They run sub $50 online.

OP
andydwyer

andydwyer

WKR
Thanks for all the info fellas -- I'll look into some of those clearance websites and possibly a ghillie suit! Didnt even think about that. That Artic shield body suit looks like a good time 😂

Filson wool sounds interesting, but not easy to come by at the thrift stores. Better keep my eyes peeled.

I was under the impression that camo for whitetail archery is important; is that not the case? Maybe just quiet and scent controlled? Wind is really the only thing that gets me cold above 20°

Keep those suggestions coming

Brendan

WKR
I was under the impression that camo for whitetail archery is important; is that not the case? Maybe just quiet and scent controlled?

Depends who you ask, where and how you hunt. There are guys who will tell you they kill deer in blue jeans and a flannel shirt smoking a cigarette.

But around here we have cracked out suspicious old does that walk around looking up in the trees for anything out of place. I've watched a doe walk into an area with a stand, turn, and stare at the empty stand for 5-10 minutes to make sure someone isn't in it.

I wear camo, there are scenarios it helps. But more important is don't skyline yourself, break up your outline, use cover and backdrop. Ghillie suits are arguably better than most other camo because they break up your outline better, and have more depth... Cheap too. Need to add one to my arsenal.

Wrench

WKR
I had a 140 buck come to me in December. He came into 20 yards and likely would have stepped on me. I gave up 20 years of experience and thought I could slowly draw on him.....which I did. He dodged my arrow like a matrix move.

I was wearing grey filson bibs and a cabelas wooltimate jacket....and burnt cork on my face.

If I were in a tree, I'd have smoked him. I really want to kill one coming to the call from the ground.

I don't believe that pattern trumps sitting still, being quiet and playing the wind.

OP
andydwyer

andydwyer

WKR
I had a 140 buck come to me in December. He came into 20 yards and likely would have stepped on me. I gave up 20 years of experience and thought I could slowly draw on him.....which I did. He dodged my arrow like a matrix move.

I was wearing grey filson bibs and a cabelas wooltimate jacket....and burnt cork on my face.

If I were in a tree, I'd have smoked him. I really want to kill one coming to the call from the ground.

I don't believe that pattern trumps sitting still, being quiet and playing the wind.

Yeah, tree stands look like the way to go to fill the freezer, but there's something cool about hunting from the ground. And the tree stands had me spooked on my first year in the woods 😅

I think my understanding of the wind, scent control, and ability to stay still when when I'm not shivering are all pretty good since I've had multiple encounters within 40 yards. However, my first opportunity on a decent buck I made the novice mistake of shooting while he was looking (I had to make a noise to get him to stop and he was looking right at me 🤦‍♂️). My other chances we're lost when I went to draw with a noisy, green jacket.

Not to be too fresh, but What size are you? I might have a couple items I throw your way.

Hah, that's the kind of fresh I can handle 😂. Seriously, that's crazy kind of you. I'm a medium in most, large in some. 5'9 185

Last edited:
Hah, that's the kind of fresh I can handle 😂. Seriously, that's crazy kind of you. I'm a medium in most, large in some. 5'9 185

Most of it is large but I think I do have a couple medium vests or even a heavy base layer that fits kinda tight. PM me your info I'll check my stuff and get back to you.

Agross

WKR
cabelas wooltimate and/or Berber fleece are good options for what you are describing They have windshear lining and are quite quiet and warm They pop up in the classifieds from time to time