Weatherby - Which model Mark V?

Hi all. New member and glad to be here. I have wanted a Weatherby Mark V for roughly 20 years and have never pulled the trigger on one. I hunt mostly Georgia woods (50-75 yd. shots mostly). I do have a 800 yard propane pipeline easement down the front of the property though. Max shot probably 300 yards (with prior practice). I use my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington for the woods. It’s a thumper for those woods whitetails.

I was looking at a few (like them all 😂) Accumark, Apex, Carbonmark, Deluxe, Backcountry (non-to/carbon. I’m in the $2200 - $2900 range.

The pretty wood of the Deluxe is calling to me. I’ve never had a wood bolt. But, what say you on caliber/model? I’ll answer any questions asked to hone my selection down more. May decide to go out West sometime for antelope/longer distance shooting at game. Much appreciated!

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have three Mk V's: A vintage one from 1985 in 7mm Wby (equivalent to the Deluxe today), an Ultralightweight in .30-06, and an Accumark in .300 Wby. They are all nice. All shoot sub-MOA. The vintage rifle with the nice wood and shiny blue finish is pretty and elegant. I enjoy hunting with it if the weather is nice. I had to add spacers and a pad to it to bring the LOP out to something I could use. I am 6'4" and the factory LOP was 13 3/8. It is not threaded for a suppressor, and I have not wanted to further alter it.

The Accumark is awesome and shoots lights out. Only downside is that it is heavy. I carried it around on a week long elk hunt last year, and it didn't bother me much, but some people care more about saving weight than I do. I had Bell and Carlson make me a custom stock for it to get the LOP long enough. It had a nice factory threaded barrel and works well with a direct-thread can.

The .30-06 is also a sub-MOA gun, but the light barrel profile will heat up quickly, which in turn will cause the groups to open up. For hunting that is not really an issue. It is a 6 lb rifle, and it kicks like a mule, but that is what I signed up for with a light weight rifle. Physics is a thing. I also have a custom Bell and Carlson stock for this one.

If you want the Deluxe and appreciate the beauty of the old-school look, go for it, especially if you have another gun to take out in the rain and snow. If you want an all around rifle to take on any hunt on the continent, the Accumark in magnum caliber will get it done.

Choupique

WKR
Buy the wood/blue rifle and use it. Several old wood blue rifles in our camp that haven't been babied at all. They all still shoot well and still kill stuff.

Don't worry about durability and corrosion resistance and all that crap. It doesn't matter unless you're dunking it in salt water and if you're doing that, a stainless one isn't going to like it either. Get the one you like and go shoot stuff with it. It'll outlive you with even a modicum of care.

OP
M
Buy the wood/blue rifle and use it. Several old wood blue rifles in our camp that haven't been babied at all. They all still shoot well and still kill stuff.

Don't worry about durability and corrosion resistance and all that crap. It doesn't matter unless you're dunking it in salt water and if you're doing that, a stainless one isn't going to like it either. Get the one you like and go shoot stuff with it. It'll outlive you with even a modicum of care.
Thanks Choupique. I do love the look of it. My brother has a Remington 700 with that gloss look. I always liked it.

OP
M
I have three Mk V's: A vintage one from 1985 in 7mm Wby (equivalent to the Deluxe today), an Ultralightweight in .30-06, and an Accumark in .300 Wby. They are all nice. All shoot sub-MOA. The vintage rifle with the nice wood and shiny blue finish is pretty and elegant. I enjoy hunting with it if the weather is nice. I had to add spacers and a pad to it to bring the LOP out to something I could use. I am 6'4" and the factory LOP was 13 3/8. It is not threaded for a suppressor, and I have not wanted to further alter it.

The Accumark is awesome and shoots lights out. Only downside is that it is heavy. I carried it around on a week long elk hunt last year, and it didn't bother me much, but some people care more about saving weight than I do. I had Bell and Carlson make me a custom stock for it to get the LOP long enough. It had a nice factory threaded barrel and works well with a direct-thread can.

The .30-06 is also a sub-MOA gun, but the light barrel profile will heat up quickly, which in turn will cause the groups to open up. For hunting that is not really an issue. It is a 6 lb rifle, and it kicks like a mule, but that is what I signed up for with a light weight rifle. Physics is a thing. I also have a custom Bell and Carlson stock for this one.

If you want the Deluxe and appreciate the beauty of the old-school look, go for it, especially if you have another gun to take out in the rain and snow. If you want an all around rifle to take on any hunt on the continent, the Accumark in magnum caliber will get it done.
Appreciate the feedback MikeDeltaFoxtrot. I do have a Savage 111 in 30-06 for a bad weather gun. I’m just looking for an excuse to get a Weatherby. Have to decide on caliber too.

rbaney

FNG
I have three different Wby Rifle two are in the Vanguard series(257, 240) and shoot very well. My only Mark V is a 6.5-300 in the Accumark. I like all three and say get what you want no wrong answers here. Best of luck

If Weatherby would update their twist rates they would sell a LOT more of their rifles and ammo!

The wood stock version to me is the only area they beat their comparably priced competitors. I bought one used at the LGS used and regret it. Hopefully the local gunsmith can work wonders for not too awful much $.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As for caliber, inside 300 yards for hunting and 800 yards for plinking, a .223 would work with the right bullet, like 77tmk. Not making that recommendation, but bringing they up so you just get the caliber you want, not the one you think you need.

Anything above .223 means you can get what you want and like.

Want a classic rifle? 30-06?
Want a boomer? That’s pretty much every Weatherby cartridge, lol.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you buy a weatherby rifle, you have to get a weatherby caliber big kaboomer. It's basically criminal to consider a .223 weatherby rifle.
Do they even make a .223? Lol

I agree, a Weatherby rifle needs to be a boomer. As a self admitted wimp, I would get a .257 Weatherby, hahaha. Smallest possible.

TaperPin

WKR
With $2k you could buy two used ones - locally we had an old school super glossy 300 Weatherby in nearly new condition go for $1k. Another in 30-06 was $800ish.

The 2000’s weren’t great years for Weatherby accuracy, and my stainless 300 was no exception. I don’t know what it was, but mine didn’t shoot well and everywhere I read someone was complaining about it. Now the barrel quality is much better people say.

No matter what caliber you pick, that big round shouldered case, the six pack and a half of locking lugs, the sexy curves of the stock, smooth action and brisk recoil let you know life is good.

Also check with the Weatherby custom shop - a 6.5 prc would be a fine western rifle.

Edit: If they would bring back the ”Varminter” mini action in the ARC or Creedmoor 6mm or 6.5, that would be a fun gun - all the flash and cash, without the big blast.

OP
M

Appreciate the feedback MikeDeltaFoxtrot. I do have a Savage 111 in 30-06 for a bad weather gun. I’m just looking for an excuse to get a Weatherby. Have to decide on caliber too.
I have three different Wby Rifle two are in the Vanguard series(257, 240) and shoot very well. My only Mark V is a 6.5-300 in the Accumark. I like all three and say get what you want no wrong answers here. Best of luck
Thanks rbaney!
With $2k you could buy two used ones - locally we had an old school super glossy 300 Weatherby in nearly new condition go for $1k. Another in 30-06 was $800ish.

The 2000’s weren’t great years for Weatherby accuracy, and my stainless 300 was no exception. I don’t know what it was, but mine didn’t shoot well and everywhere I read someone was complaining about it. Now the barrel quality is much better people say.

No matter what caliber you pick, that big round shouldered case, the six pack and a half of locking lugs, the sexy curves of the stock, smooth action and brisk recoil let you know life is good.

Also check with the Weatherby custom shop - a 6.5 prc would be a fine western rifle.

Edit: If they would bring back the ”Varminter” mini action in the ARC or Creedmoor 6mm or 6.5, that would be a fun gun - all the flash and cash, without the big blast.
Yeah. If I did go out west, it would be for antelope, mule deer, and maybe an elk. I do have wild pigs on the Georgia property along with whitetails. The 270 Weatherby has me intrigued.

TaperPin

WKR

Thanks rbaney!

Yeah. If I did go out west, it would be for antelope, mule deer, and maybe an elk. I do have wild pigs on the Georgia property along with whitetails. The 270 Weatherby has me intrigued.
The 270 Weatherby is a great cartridge - nothing wrong with that choice!

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my 7mm Wby and 300 Wby. But, i load for them. That means that apart from buying brass, they don't cost any more to shoot than anything else. But if you do not load your own, ammo for the Weatherby cartridges can be very expensive. You might check into that before investing in the rifle.

I will also note that I have had a very poor experience with Weatherby customer service. I like their rifles, but they are not at all customer-focused.

OP
M
I really like my 7mm Wby and 300 Wby. But, i load for them. That means that apart from buying brass, they don't cost any more to shoot than anything else. But if you do not load your own, ammo for the Weatherby cartridges can be very expensive. You might check into that before investing in the rifle.

I will also note that I have had a very poor experience with Weatherby customer service. I like their rifles, but they are not at all customer-focused.
Yeah. I’ve seen a lot of threads on reloading for the Weatherby cartridges. Definitely something for me to think about. Currently leaning toward a 270 Wby. Of course, I’m still early in the process.

bdan68

WKR
I'd be looking at the 6.5 Weatherby RPM

OP
M
I'd be looking at the 6.5 Weatherby RPM

I just wonder if it has the legs for longevity? It’s intriguing for sure.

Yoder

WKR
Mine is a Sporter in 300 Win mag. It's almost too pretty to hunt with. Trigger is great and it shoots sub moa. I don't know what they do with the bluing but it's not like my other guns. It almost looks like Cerakote. For whitetails, if you use the right bullets, it doesn't tear them up any more than a 30-06. The only drawback is it's heavy. I wound up buying a neoprene cover for the stock so it doesn't get banged up too bad. I love that gun but if I could go back, I would have bought it in .270 or 30-06. I would use it more. I also would have bought one with a composite stock. Mine is pretty but I prefer it to be more functional.