Weatherby - Which model Mark V?

rbaney

FNG
Don’t sleep on the 240 and 100gr partition
It is a devastating deer cartridge
I can attest to that shot a good size doe at about 260-280 yards and she fell so fast I didn't even see it. I thought I missed her till, I walked over and found her laying there. Dang good round in my Wby Vanguard S2. A pleasure to shoot as well.

OP
M
300 Wby is 79 years old and going strong. Mine is pushing a 180 grain bullet at 3300 fps. There is very little not to like.
How do you feel about a whitetail or pig at 100 yards with it? I have never reloaded but I bet a nice 165 grain load would be great for my Georgia hunting. Or 180? Plus, if I get to go out west, the 300 opens up a lot of options.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks sndmn11. I like that Apex for sure. Of course, there are 4-5 Mark Vs I like. 😂 I want a Weatherby cartridge with the Mark V. Recoil doesn’t scare me. Just want one caliber to set zero at 300 yards for my propane pipeline easement on my hunting property and pick off deer and wild pig.(with more practice)

Flat combs and mild cartridges are a path to solid fundamentals and confidence from success.

amassi

WKR
How do you feel about a whitetail or pig at 100 yards with it? I have never reloaded but I bet a nice 165 grain load would be great for my Georgia hunting. Or 180? Plus, if I get to go out west, the 300 opens up a lot of options.

The only thing you get more of in the 300 is recoil and muzzle blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
The rpm is the easy choice.

-smaller lighter action
-better bullet choices
-quality brass option
-unbelted
Think it will have longevity as a cartridge or will it go extinct? I know the 257 and 270 Wby aren’t going anywhere.

sndmn11

WKR
Think it will have longevity as a cartridge or will it go extinct? I know the 257 and 270 Wby aren’t going anywhere.
The 240 Weatherby is still produced and it started in 1968. Heck the 224 Weatherby is still shown on their site. If you reload, it is irrelevant. The 6.5rpm is a cartridge in a trendy caliber, has Weatherby support, at least one quality brass maker, dies are available, hodgdon has load data, and I've seen ammo on the shelves. If you are genuinely worried about it, buy 400 pieces of Peterson brass and we plan to shoot them 5x.

Id still select a creedmoor over it every day.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing you get more of in the 300 is recoil and muzzle blast

I have been hunting with 300 Win Mag and later 300 Weatherby Mag for 20 years using 180 grain 30 caliber bullets. Kills deer DRT. I don't understand the desire to try to slip by with the lightest cartridge possible, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

I have hunted African with a .375 H&H and have a 416 Rigby in the same for my next trip. Recoil is really irrelevant.

ETA: And I use a suppressor on the 300 Wby, so muzzle blast is a non-issue.

amassi

WKR
I guess some guys are recoil sensitive. I have been hunting with 300 Win Mag and later 300 Weatherby Mag for 20 years using 180 grain 30 caliber bullets. Kills deer DRT. I don't understand the desire to try to slip by with the lightest cartridge possible, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

I have hunted African with a .375 H&H and have a 416 Rigby in the same for my next trip. Recoil is really irrelevant.

Cool

I agree with @sndmn11 in relation to choosing a model with the peak44 stocks. They are an improvement in function to the goofy traditional weatherby stocks with the huge drop at heel.

I'm an admitted weatherby curmudgeon as I see more negatives than positives in the Mark V actions and traditional weatherby stock designs but that's not to say they don't serve people just fine.

The 6.5 RPM is a neat cartridge though and i like that it doesn't use the 9 lug monster. 240 weatherby would be alright.

This is in the whitetail forum - and for whitetails having some big fire breather doesn't make any sense to me.

OP
M
Since recoil has been mentioned in this thread, here is a rifle recoil chart for all popular calibers

Thanks for providing. The 6.5 RPM is a tad under the 30-06 in recoil. I shoot a 30-06 150 grain and think the recoil is quite mild. It's a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter with a Nikon scope combo deal that I feel, to me, is quite a light setup. I also bird hunt and skeet shoot with a 16 gauge using 1 oz loads for 100 shots (4 rounds) at a time. I'm a little sore the next day, but that's it. Decisions, decisions on caliber.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for providing. The 6.5 RPM is a tad under the 30-06 in recoil. I shoot a 30-06 150 grain and think the recoil is quite mild. It's a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter with a Nikon scope combo deal that I feel, to me, is quite a light setup. I also bird hunt and skeet shoot with a 16 gauge using 1 oz loads for 100 shots (4 rounds) at a time. I'm a little sore the next day, but that's it. Decisions, decisions on caliber.

The categories at the top of that page are describing degrading accuracy, not more boo-boos, as recoil goes up. It's the reason why most folks will shoot a 22LR better than their elk rifle, or why many guys describe the rifles of their wife and kid as very accurate.

Good luck on your choice!

flyboy214

FNG
If you are still waffling, it is time to get serious. weatherby has a 15% off deal on their Mk V models.

Also 20% off factory ammo