Weatherby - Which model Mark V?

OP
M
Mine is a Sporter in 300 Win mag. It's almost too pretty to hunt with. Trigger is great and it shoots sub moa. I don't know what they do with the bluing but it's not like my other guns. It almost looks like Cerakote. For whitetails, if you use the right bullets, it doesn't tear them up any more than a 30-06. The only drawback is it's heavy. I wound up buying a neoprene cover for the stock so it doesn't get banged up too bad. I love that gun but if I could go back, I would have bought it in .270 or 30-06. I would use it more. I also would have bought one with a composite stock. Mine is pretty but I prefer it to be more functional.
Yeah. Sported looks nice. I’m left-handed, so my options are more limited.I love the look of the wood. But, overall functionality is nice too. I always tie my rifle to a rope and pull it up once in the stand. The rope isn’t always the cleanest. With my Savage 111 composite in 30-06, I don’t think twice about it. And Weatherby has a ton of options in composite. Some are in my “sweet spot” of $2k-$3k. I’ve never purchased a higher end rifle, so that’s my justification to splurge on one. I need to weight my Savage. It feels light when I carry it. That will let me know the weight I like for research purposes.

For your use I get a 257 weatherby. If you like wood then get the deluxe. If you want bullet proof and dont have to carry it over hill and dale then get the accumark. I have an accumark in 270 wby and the deluxe in 300 wby. I’m an eastern deer hunter and rarely use those two rifles. I would use both a lot more if they were 257wby. If you hunt a stand or shooting house the accumark or the deluxe has the added weight when you lay it down on the rest its stable.

OP
M
For your use I get a 257 weatherby. If you like wood then get the deluxe. If you want bullet proof and dont have to carry it over hill and dale then get the accumark. I have an accumark in 270 wby and the deluxe in 300 wby. I’m an eastern deer hunter and rarely use those two rifles. I would use both a lot more if they were 257wby. If you hunt a stand or shooting house the accumark or the deluxe has the added weight when you lay it down on the rest its stable.
Yep. I have been looking at the 257 Wby as well. Would you use it for 50-75 yard shots?

cnelk

WKR
I have a 340 Wby Mark V Alaskan.

Probably a bit much for what you’re looking for, but it’s killed moose, caribou, elk, and deer, and maybe a few coyotes lol

I won’t use it on deer anymore. Definitely Overkill.

It’s definitely a cannon. I have an AccuBreak on it and it’s a must have.

I also reload for it, with 225gr Hornadys but a box of bullets lasts a long time because hardly ever is more than 1 shot is needed.

I’ve always flirted about buying the Wby 270mag. It would be a sweet gun and could fit your needs perfectly.

OP
M
I have a 340 Wby Mark V Alaskan.

Probably a bit much for what you’re looking for, but it’s killed moose, caribou, elk, and deer, and maybe a few coyotes lol

I won’t use it on deer anymore. Definitely Overkill.

It’s definitely a cannon. I have an AccuBreak on it and it’s a must have.

I also reload for it, with 225gr Hornadys but a box of bullets lasts a long time because hardly ever is more than 1 shot is needed.

I’ve always flirted about buying the Wby 270mag. It would be a sweet gun and could fit your needs perfectly.
Thanks cnelk. I bet that 340 is a hammer. I’m really leaning toward to 270 Wby. The ballistics look really great. I’m intrigued by the 6.5 RPM but wonder if this caliber will stand the test of time. I know the 270 Wby. has and will.

Imo, the 270 wby is a cooler, better version of the 7 rem mag. 140gr accubonds at 3300fps is a hammer on deer.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
300 yards for deer sized critters
Mark V deluxe
240 wby or 6.5 rpm if you want a wby cartridge
6.5 creedmoor if your open to non wby cartridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
300 yards for deer sized critters
Mark V deluxe
240 wby or 6.5 rpm if you want a wby cartridge
6.5 creedmoor if your open to non wby cartridge

Thanks for the feedback amassi. I do love the look of the Deluxe. Do you think the 6.5 RPM will have longevity in the Weatherby cartridge lineup?

amassi

WKR
As much as any of their proprietary cartridges yes.

I recommended the deluxe since you said over 20 years
It’s a classic rifle
If you want something modern the back country

OP
M
As much as any of their proprietary cartridges yes.

I recommended the deluxe since you said over 20 years
It’s a classic rifle
If you want something modern the back country

Thanks for the feedback amassi.

If you want to stay traditional go with the deluxe in 257 Weatherby

If you want something more practical I'd look into the accumark ot weathermark in 6.5 or .243

Like you, I always wanted a mark v and have always admired the deluxe. I ended up finding a really good deal on a 243 weathermark and really like it.

Attachments

• 20230318_230952.jpg
    20230318_230952.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 12
OP
M
If you want to stay traditional go with the deluxe in 257 Weatherby

If you want something more practical I'd look into the accumark ot weathermark in 6.5 or .243

Like you, I always wanted a mark v and have always admired the deluxe. I ended up finding a really good deal on a 243 weathermark and really like it.
Tough decisions here! Appreciate the feedback. I like the Deluxe and the composite models. The shiny wood calls to me though.

Yep. I have been looking at the 257 Wby as well. Would you use it for 50-75 yard shots?
It wouldn't be my first pick for a woods rifle. But if I had to pick a mark v in a weatherby caliber it would be my first choice for an all around deer rifle.

If I had to pick a woods rifle out of the mark v family I would go with a Mark V Hunter in 7mm08. For a woods rifle I like a 22 inch barrel. Which I believe that model and caliber has.

I was just saying I would just find more use for a 257wby than my 270 or 300wby.

sndmn11

WKR
There's a drastic difference in recoil between the typical drop butt Weatherby profile and the straight combs. We noticed better accuracy and control of the rifles switch from factory stocks.

I wouldn't want a backcountry model unless I was hunting the high country and understood my accuracy would suffer some.

I think the peak stocks are cool.

The Apex model is 6.5lb, negative comb, cerakote, fluted #3 barrel, etc. It fits in the west and the east.

The 6.5creed will have the best barrel life, is suitable for a trip out west or a dozen, and the caliber has great bullet choices. If you felt the need for a Weatherby head stamp the 6.5rpm is attractive because it has quality brass available. I still think it is a very distant second place though.

Second choice of rifle.is the accumark elite at 7.6lbs

OP
M
It wouldn't be my first pick for a woods rifle. But if I had to pick a mark v in a weatherby caliber it would be my first choice for an all around deer rifle.

If I had to pick a woods rifle out of the mark v family I would go with a Mark V Hunter in 7mm08. For a woods rifle I like a 22 inch barrel. Which I believe that model and caliber has.

I was just saying I would just find more use for a 257wby than my 270 or 300wby.
Thanks Boarmaster. I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington for the woods piece. Of course, my 30-06 will do it all. Looking at 257, 270, and 6.5 RPM currently. I want a Weatherby caliber for a Mark V that I will zero for 300 yards (with additional practice.)

OP
M
There's a drastic difference in recoil between the typical drop butt Weatherby profile and the straight combs. We noticed better accuracy and control of the rifles switch from factory stocks.

I wouldn't want a backcountry model unless I was hunting the high country and understood my accuracy would suffer some.

I think the peak stocks are cool.

The Apex model is 6.5lb, negative comb, cerakote, fluted #3 barrel, etc. It fits in the west and the east.

The 6.5creed will have the best barrel life, is suitable for a trip out west or a dozen, and the caliber has great bullet choices. If you felt the need for a Weatherby head stamp the 6.5rpm is attractive because it has quality brass available. I still think it is a very distant second place though.

Second choice of rifle.is the accumark elite at 7.6lbs
Thanks sndmn11. I like that Apex for sure. Of course, there are 4-5 Mark Vs I like. 😂 I want a Weatherby cartridge with the Mark V. Recoil doesn’t scare me. Just want one caliber to set zero at 300 yards for my propane pipeline easement on my hunting property and pick off deer and wild pig.(with more practice)