Weatherby - Which model Mark V?

OP
M
Thanks! I’m a lefty and still wavering on a Deluxe, Apex, Backcountry standard, Accumark, or High Country. I’m now looking at 270 Wby or 6.5 RPM. I feel if I get one of those two calibers, might as well go for lighter weight. Or I could just get a 300 Wby Deluxe and call it a day. 😂 So hard to decide. And, would they honor the 15% off in the Custom Shop?

flyboy214

FNG
I emailed weatherby about the sale and they will apply the discount to pre-orders of the high country model in whatever caliber. So you could get a discount on one that is not in stock. Maybe email them and see what they say about the custom shop?

I ended up purchasing a weatherby Apex lefty in 6.5 RPM because I wanted the #3 profile barrel and a 6.5 lb rifle is still plenty light. Below is a reply from weatherby when I asked the difference between the apex and the high country.

" You are correct that the difference outside of cosmetics is in the barrel contour and weight. The larger contour of the Apex will offer better accuracy through larger shot strings, but you can expect the same 3 shot group accuracy from both rifles of Sub-MOA. If you plan to shoot larger short strings, like 5-7 shots back to back, the Apex may be a better option. The 6.5 RPM is elk capable to 500 yards, so if you are mainly targeting Mule Deer, you should have no issues reaching that far with that cartridge option. Additionally, if you are mainly tackling medium altitude mountain hunts, the weight savings of the High country might provide a better weight saving option while still giving the same Sub-MOA accuracy in a three shot group.

Hopefully that information helps! Feel free to reach back out to us if you have any other questions!

Best Regards

Jacob"

OP
M
Thanks flyboy214. Great information provided and much appreciated. Looks like the sale is over. With that said, it didn’t have to be a “rush” purchase on my end, so that’s a plus. I can look more thoroughly into the different model Mark Vs and calibers. If I go deluxe, it will be 300 Wby. If in a lighter rifle, 270 Wby or 6.5 RPM.

btmonnat

FNG
I have a Weatherby Accumark in 7mm rem. mag, Accumark .280 rem. and a 243 Vangaurd. 243 is not a mark v but still a great shooter. My Accumarks will be handed down to my 2 son's. 2 best gun's I ever purchased. Love the .280, it is a great do all gun. Not sure why they stopped chambering of the .280.

Last edited:
I don't need a magnum rifle to kill a deer. I have killed them with a .243 and 90gr bullets. I choose to use the largest magnum rifle with in reason when hunting. I figure theres no replacement for displacement. 🤣

mainbeam pursuit2

Lil-Rokslider
i have always been a big Weatherby fan, have four Mark Vs and a Vanguard.My 270 wby has always been an accurate fast round, that I swear by. As I’ve gotten older I don’t enjoy carrying the weight of the 9 lug Mark V. I do enjoy the 6 lug in 6.5 RPM, great round in my opinion.