Welcome Davis Tent of Colorado **Review Added 1/31/21**

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan,
I was looking at the Antelope package. How much storage does it take up when packed away? Curious how much of a pickup box it would take up. One thing that I'd get hung up on is needing to take 2 vehicles just to haul the tent+normal gear and coolers.

Rolled up mines like 3 1/2 ft long and a foot and a half tall or so. The floor folds pretty flat. Last year I had it all including the stove, a 110 qt cooler and 2 people’s things on a cow elk hunt in a 5’8” box underneath a tonneau cover. It was tight but fit. I don’t feel like it takes up a ton of space. Like 1/3-1/2 of a short box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Rolled up mines like 3 1/2 ft long and a foot and a half tall or so. The floor folds pretty flat. Last year I had it all including the stove, a 110 qt cooler and 2 people’s things on a cow elk hunt in a 5’8” box underneath a tonneau cover. It was tight but fit. I don’t feel like it takes up a ton of space. Like 1/3-1/2 of a short box.
Good to know. I assumed it wasn't crazy but my buddy has it in his head it takes up way more space.

He's also a guy who packs a clam thermal pop up ice house as his shelter :ROFLMAO:

I can't imagine it would be any worse than the space that took up.

Aren't the poles longer than 3.5 feet long or do they disconnect into smaller pieces?

cnelk

WKR
This is my custom made 10x12 Davis Tent on the front of my atv. It’s not rolled up very tight but it weighs less than 30lbs.
I made my own internal frame using the top rail of chain link fencing. Works good with all the slip connections

I went several miles back in Wyoming with this setup a couple years ago on a scouting trip.

F8166EC8-33A1-4C5A-B973-AFDF817D92B0.jpeg

I'm very curious about the setup time and then the put-away time for the internal frame setup. Some people, on the interwebzzz, claim anywhere from 10 minutes to 1+ hours. I'm focused on the 10x12 model, and an awning, for a family of 4 with bunkbed-style cots.

I'm thinking of getting this as a substitute for an rv/camper to use on dispersed camping in national forests/rocky mountain west region.

Am I crazy?

LaHunter

WKR
I'm very curious about the setup time and then the put-away time for the internal frame setup. Some people, on the interwebzzz, claim anywhere from 10 minutes to 1+ hours. I'm focused on the 10x12 model, and an awning, for a family of 4 with bunkbed-style cots.

I'm thinking of getting this as a substitute for an rv/camper to use on dispersed camping in national forests/rocky mountain west region.

Am I crazy?
that may be pretty 'tight' for a family of 4. 10 minutes is BS from start to finish. I would say closer to 30-60 minutes for 2 people setting up a 12X14 with internal frame, until you are ready to start moving your stuff in. That includes guy ropes, stakes, awning, floor, etc. As you gain experience, your setup time will obviously get quicker, but 10 minutes is not realistic for a complete setup.

that may be pretty 'tight' for a family of 4. 10 minutes is BS from start to finish. I would say closer to 30-60 minutes for 2 people setting up a 12X14 with internal frame, until you are ready to start moving your stuff in. That includes guy ropes, stakes, awning, floor, etc. As you gain experience, your setup time will obviously get quicker, but 10 minutes is not realistic for a complete setup.

Ok! Everything i read suggests that 10x12 is too small. Thanks for confirmation! Assuming i go 12x14 and im relatively experienced/competent with setup/breakdown, is it reasonable to be able to setup by myself? In the dark with a headlamp, assuming i have all poles/connections color coded and whatnot?

cnelk

WKR

Am I crazy?

No reason you can’t set up a 10x12 or 12x14 in about 30 mins tops. By yourself.

Do a couple practice runs in your yard and it will be a POC

I think Davis Tent has a video of 12 yr old girl setting up a tent by herself on their website.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never used the internal frames for my tents, but with the traditional pole setup it's pretty easy to set it up by yourself. Like cnelk said they have a video of a 12 year old girl setting one up. I put my 14x16 up and take it down by myself a few times a year. I can have it standing in 5 minutes with the ridge pole and four corners up. What takes the most time is hammering all the stakes with this type of setup......especially in terrain with a bunch of hidden rocks under the surface. Mine takes 37 stakes.

For a family of four, I'd want at least the 14x16.......especially if you ever expect to use a wood stove or have a table of some sort inside the tent.......which is nice in bad weather.

Ok! Everything i read suggests that 10x12 is too small. Thanks for confirmation! Assuming i go 12x14 and im relatively experienced/competent with setup/breakdown, is it reasonable to be able to setup by myself? In the dark with a headlamp, assuming i have all poles/connections color coded and whatnot?

It’s definitely realistic. I took my 12x14 internal frame out for second season this year. I was solo and it was the second time I had ever set it up. I have the 4 column setup which is more poles than the standard 3 column. I also have a full size detached floor.

Setup in the dark with a headlamp, I got the tent on the frame and the full floor installed in 25 minutes. That’s the quick part, because hammering in all the stakes takes quite a bit of time by yourself as @5MilesBack said. I personally don’t think it’s realistic to get down to under half an hour when doing all the stakes and guy lines, unless all conditions were perfect but they rarely are where I’m camping. Maybe I’m just slow.

Takedown is faster. I got mine taken down and everything in their respective bags and in the truck in 35 minutes. You can definitely bring that number down if you have help because folding the tent and the floor are what take the most time for me when I’m by myself; it’s much faster with a helper.

cnelk

WKR
Here is time lapse video of me setting up my 10x12.
I precut poles for the A frame and stash them so I dont have to cut them every time I go set up camp.

1- stake 4 corners first (be sure sure door is zippered shut)
2- slide ridge pole thru ridge openings
3- erect A frames on each end
4- stake out guy ropes
5- install exterior wall poles

All set, adjust ropes, A frames if necessary. Done

Tbuckus

WKR

I’d agree that the 10x12 is too small for your family.
I’d even suggest a 14x16 if you want to use a wood stove, even with bunk beds. I have a 14x16 and our tent is comfortably perfect with 3 cots/wood stove/ kitchen inside it with room for chairs. 4 cots work but we are snug. My buddy has a 12x14 for his family of 4 with one bunk set up for kids, but he also has a cook shack. If it is only for summer, go with the 12x14.
The varying set up time also depends on size, weather/day-night, number of people helping and pole system, but more realistically when the clock starts.
Are people counting from the time the truck stops to you are living in it? Everything laying out ready to assemble? Or somewhere in between?

I give myself 1 hour from when the truck stops. I pack my truck so the tent and poles are one of the first to come out. My poles are premarked and bagged according to location so set up is simple if you have someone that can read.
If I’m alone, the 1 hour mark will have the tent/tarp up with floor and stove in and personal gear piled inside. Stove may or may not be fully set up.
as the number of people increase, the 1 hour mark looks very different. 4 people has the stove just started and cots/kitchen in place and maybe a drink in hand.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Own one. Partner owns one. After 12 years, like new functionally. Thank you.

prm

WKR
Now we’re talking man! I don’t know if it’s because of the wall tent hunts in my childhood, but seeing pictures like that just get me fired up.
You are not kidding! I‘m plotting an elk or mule deer hunt just so I can use a wall tent. We hunted out of one when I was just a wee tot. I can still smell the army canvas. Great memories!

Catahoula

WKR
Another shout out to Taylor and all at Davis Tent who got my two tents and all accessories built and ready for pickup in what I thought was record time!! Amazing! Embarrassing as this is to me, I forgot the gentleman’s name that helped my spouse and I get everything loaded in the truck! Fantastic individual... Thank you so much for the experience and look forward to years of good use, good hunts and good fun! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

jaytaylor

Lil-Rokslider
After using my buddy's tent on numerous elk, deer and desert quail hunts, I finally convinced him to split a new wall tent with me. Since his name is Davis, and we'd heard good things about Davis Tents, that's what we did. We picked our 12x14 up in September, and have already used it three times. The folks at the shop were great to work with and hunters like us. We love the new stove, I particularly love the hot water tank on the side for always ready hot water! Everything works great! In a pinch, we've had 4 cots plus the stove and cook area inside, but you are stepping on things. It fits three cots, with the stove and cook area inside, just great. We plan to buy a few more connectors and make a porch out front to give us even more capability.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Snowshoe hare camp in the Adirondack Mountains mid December. Went down to 4 degrees at night. Between the stove and my sleeping bag in their canvas cowboy bedroll, I was warm as toast!!
XzX1GGi.jpg

FTYCSSW.jpg

FjkKYHM.jpg

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 198061
Hey Roksliders
some of you know this company but some of you don't. @Jordan Budd has used their tents and we've heard from many happy customers. Happy to have them on as a sponsor. You'll see Taylor posting under @Davis Tent on the forums.
Hit him up if you wanna know more about their big line of wall tents, tent accessories, stoves, tarps, cots, horse panniers & scabbards, and more. Davis Tent has been at this game for 60 years! You can hit their site here
View attachment 198062

Hit the "watch" button, upper right of this post if you want to follow Jordan's upcoming review on a Davis Tent. Give them a warm Rokslide welcome and a click or two!
Cool.