Well, I booked it. Alaska 2021

Another potential good option is the Aire BakRaft, a little pricy but made in USA. I don't have any experience with the BakRaft, but I've owned Aire catarafts now for almost 30 years and I feel very confident in saying, they are the absolute best built tubes bar none.

Mt Al

WKR
Sweet! Please tell me you are going to do a thread on the process!

I was thinking it would be cool to do a subtle color like green for the top of the boat and red or yellow for the bottom, so if you need to signal a plane you could.

Sorry for this long reply

I’ve built three DIY packrafts and would like to be referred to from now on as the “The Packraft Kid”.

**For two chamber concerns, the best way in a DIY packraft or even Alpaca is to buy or build air tight chambers and stuff them through the zippers into the tubes, with the fill valves towards the zipper obviously. I’m going to do that for two of my rafts, then there will be floatation on both sides if the main chamber goes south.

First build was a Version 2 with some TPU fabric that I had. At that time Matt sold patterns and fabric by the yard. It’s great, light, packs small and holds air long enough but it was tough to find all the small leaks. There’s no way I could put myself, my pack and a boned out deer in it without concern. I think it would float, but not much room at all.

Given the concern about carrying space, I then I built the last version of their 2 person raft, the Voyageur. Better fabrics, way tougher bottom, would be tight for two people but would haul me and a deer pretty easily. Just like the V2, takes time to find all the leaks and still looses air, but could float for hours without need to top it off.

Because of mental Instability and being a gear nerd, I then built a third by lengthening the V2 pattern by a foot. Great compromise and fun to build new stuff.

If you want a DIY packraft for critter hauling, I strongly recommend the new 2 person and a Big Agnes Air Core pad in the bottom, backpacking pillow for a seat.

I’ve never shot a moose but highly doubt even my 2 person Voyageur would do the trick. The fabric is stout, but my concern would be dragging/hauling if there were rocks, etc..

I dream of a moose hunt in AK sometime and if I do and there’s a need for a packraft I‘m getting a Pristine Ventures Cork or PR49 or whatever other awesome rafts he has available. Soooo much tougher and built for the task. Watch his videos on YouTube, those rafts are bomber and design exactly for floating out a pile of meat.

Check out the stories about the guy who built three or four of them (not me) on the DIY packraft site. He has the leak thing down: wider tape and making certain that your welds are really good vs. patchy connections. Then glue the crap out of every seam and connection. I do this over several nights, pulling the seams out of the zipper and gluing along as much as I can. Plus follow Matt’s advice about glueing the seams as your building. Just build in the delay/dry time and don’t rush it.

One guy (see the forum) almost lost two friends when a Voyaguer had a seam failure. My total guess is that it wasn’t a great seam, plus he admits it was too high pressure and overloaded.

I highly recommend building a DIY packraft if you’re interested. The new ones are killer compared to the V2 or V3, Matt is very helpful, the videos are great, take your time, make certain you’re melting the TPU across the tape vs here and there. The price is right, you get to “pimp your raft” with your own patches/seat/etc.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Great to read your thread, and can definitely identify with how you feel today. Making the commitment to go is a great feeling. The next 400+ days will pass more rapidly than you expect....especially when you look back after the adventure. Enjoy the road leading to the destination.

Thanks for sharing the information on the 60 inch club. An AK moose hunt is at the top of the bucket list for me. I have been reading through all the posts and have waded through their website. I exited the website feeling I had information overload, a lot to digest. Would purchasing the various "training" classes be something that a guy should consider prior to booking or are training classes included within their booking price?

Kevin, Have you actually hunted with them?
I prefer an archery hunt, is that being to optimistic for a newbie on a hunt like this?
I have done many DIY archery elk hunts, back pack style in CO and ID, so I have experience on a hunt like this, but being dropped in AK with grizzly in the area is somewhat intimidating.

Thanks for sharing the information on the 60 inch club. An AK moose hunt is at the top of the bucket list for me. I have been reading through all the posts and have waded through their website. I exited the website feeling I had information overload, a lot to digest. Would purchasing the various "training" classes be something that a guy should consider prior to booking or are training classes included within their booking price?

Kevin, Have you actually hunted with them?
I prefer an archery hunt, is that being to optimistic for a newbie on a hunt like this?
I have done many DIY archery elk hunts, back pack style in CO and ID, so I have experience on a hunt like this, but being dropped in AK with grizzly in the area is somewhat intimidating.

I've not hunted with them at all, and I have zero knowledge of their operation or skills. It wouldn't be at all appropriate for me to make any recommendation on them.

As for your other questions....

Everyone has their own thoughts, but I personally think spending money to get 'moose training' is unnecessary. I'm seeing it as a way for some (providers) to increase their profits while having almost no expense associated with their training. I would advise you to spend your interim time reading solid materials and reviewing good videos. Nothing takes the place of OJT when hunting moose.

Going in with archery gear is 100% fine and very doable. I've never yet been on a diy moose hunt that I didn't have a legal bull inside my effective range ....and that's longbow range by the way. All a firearm will do is basically ensure your kill range is extended. If you're a true-blue bowhunter, you'll be happiest carrying your preferred weapon. My average shot distance on moose is 9 yards, so don't think archery moose is a 'long shot' thing.

Grizzlies are like bad drivers. They're out there and you know it. They can get you, but you don't stay home. You do what you can to stay safe, but can't control it all. I'd put your odds of being harmed by a grizzly at something like under one in five thousand or .0002 chance....and that's probably too high. Go prepared with a sidearm and bear spray. You'll feel better.

OP
Gunnersdad49
The training videos are included when you book with them. As mentioned above, there is lots of good info out there to get you started.

I went back and forth on bow vs rifle. The guy I’ll be hunting with doesn’t shoot a bow, so I figured rifle would be simplest for me too.

montee77

FNG
The training videos are included when you book with them. As mentioned above, there is lots of good info out there to get you started.

I went back and forth on bow vs rifle. The guy I’ll be hunting with doesn’t shoot a bow, so I figured rifle would be simplest for me too.
We booked with them for 2022 , I had a tough time narrowing are decision down on what area to hunt. We picked honey hole. What spot did you guys pick? Troy and Linda have been great to work with so far.

mooster

WKR
Another potential good option is the Aire BakRaft, a little pricy but made in USA. I don't have any experience with the BakRaft, but I've owned Aire catarafts now for almost 30 years and I feel very confident in saying, they are the absolute best built tubes bar none.
what's the load capacity? big concern for many of us will be packing ourself, our gear, and 800 lbs of moose.
is Dyneema easily repairable? I know Vectran can be a hassle due to pinholes, is Dyneema as easy to repair as nylon laminated PU? Obviously, I have limited knowledge.

mooster

WKR

Last edited:
OP
Gunnersdad49
We booked with them for 2022 , I had a tough time narrowing are decision down on what area to hunt. We picked honey hole. What spot did you guys pick? Troy and Linda have been great to work with so far.
We are doing the Caribou Lake deal with some backpacking and rafting. Basically dropped at the lake, hunt there for a while, then hike to the river and float hunt out.

what's the load capacity? big concern for many of us will be packing ourself, our gear, and 800 lbs of moose.
is Dyneema easily repairable? I know Vectran can be a hassle due to pinholes, is Dyneema as easy to repair as nylon laminated PU? Obviously, I have limited knowledge.
IDK what the load capacity is on that raft, but given the size (diameter and length), of the tubes and the inflatable, self bailing floor, I would suspect that it would be fairly large. DCF is very repairable but the outer fabric on the Aire raft is made of Vectran, and I have no experience with Vectran, but from what I understand it is very durable although a little heavier than DCF. In regards to pinholes, etc., it's probably a moot point because like all Aire boats, it has an internal bladder and unless you tore a major hole in the Vectran, there would be no reason to attempt to repair the outer material. The internal bladder is what sets Aire apart from the other manufactures IMO. It (bladder), is super easy to repair in the field as it can be temporarily repaired with duct tape, if you don't want to take the time to put a permanent repair job on it.

Last edited:
2021 drop hunt for me and a buddy at Nunya Lake in Alaska. We are still ironing out the details, but looks like it may end up being a combo type hunt that we hike and pack raft out of.

I researched a list of over 100 outfitters, air taxis, and transporters, mostly via the internet, but lots of phone calls too. Finally, I decided we are only 16 months from moose season, and it is time to put something on paper. The options were pretty daunting, but I'll try to share what I've learned and what I continue to learn through the next year and a half. I'm grateful for all of the other members here sharing their information and helping others, so this will be my attempt to do the same.

First were the 4 categories of services to choose from:

Guides were out of our budget, so they were off the list immediately.

Outfitters that provide your camp for you, select your area, etc. that I spoke to were mostly part of a guide "system". I've heard horror stories about outfitters putting you in places with terrible gear. I have nice gear appropriate for the trip, so we didn't really need any equipment. The other thing that I have heard and experienced with Outfitters that also guide is that they are dropping the unguided folks in places the guides don't want to hunt. I am not saying all of them do this, but I didn't want any competition from the people that we are paying to put us into good territory.

Transporters and air taxis are both legitimate and licensed through the ADF&G. The big difference between the two is that Air Taxis are not allowed to pick locations for you or scout areas for you. They are only able to take you to and from a location that you pick. Transporters have more leeway where this is concerned, and can make recommendations. They aren't allowed to help you to process or pack your kill, but can aid with logistics and such. In my research, transporters were about double the price of air taxis. That helps them to cover the costs of helping you plan your hunt.

The other thing to consider is hunt planners. These are basically consultants that aid you in selecting a transporter or air taxi, may rent gear, help you determine a good location and tactics for your specific species and location. This is the option that we finally settled on. I'm pretty arrogant, but not so egotistical that I think I can find great moose hunting from Colorado. After doing the math, the cost of a planner and air taxi was about the same as a transporter doing it all.

If anyone wants to share information, or has questions that I might be able to help with, that is what forums are all about, right?
Very jealous. Good luck!

OP
Gunnersdad49
Looks like Larry and Troy are not exactly friends:
Larry made a post about that here a month or so about this topic. I don’t have a dog in the fight. I know that Troy is aware of that thread, but hasn’t replied to it.

I did talk to Larry before booking with 60” club, but prior to the rafts coming out. Larry was booked for the specific times we had available so we kept looking.

It is a shame because I know that Larry has contributed a ton to DIY hunters here and on the AK super site.

Our group is committed financially at this point, so we will hunt with the Sessions, and hope for success.

Larry made a post about that here a month or so about this topic. I don’t have a dog in the fight. I know that Troy is aware of that thread, but hasn’t replied to it.

I did talk to Larry before booking with 60” club, but prior to the rafts coming out. Larry was booked for the specific times we had available so we kept looking.

It is a shame because I know that Larry has contributed a ton to DIY hunters here and on the AK super site.

Our group is committed financially at this point, so we will hunt with the Sessions, and hope for success.
I wouldn't worry... I have done business with Larry and know Troy on a personal level and both are stand up people in my opinion. I don't think their disagreement will affect how each of them treats their clients.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys, for the record so the email questions can stop and anyone worried about their options can move on with their own decisions:

Troy flies and flies well (firsthand experience). He locates pockets with big moose and finds ways to get to them...That's his ONLY value proposition to you. Don't forget that point. If that's what you're after, you'll probably do better than 50% success and achieve most of your hunting goals.

However, personal success at others expense will **** up your game plan when karma cashes in her debt. This year he had problems finding qualified and willing pilots to work with him (I know of three that declined), and that problem is self inflicted and puts his clients at risk (who wants a last-option pilot?). Respectable and qualified pilots don't need to work with Troy Sessions because they haven't heard of the guy and he hasn't earned an honest reputation yet. No one in this industry takes him seriously (FB followers exempt). And his copying my brands only set him back into the rut he was in before Hunt Planning.

Troy doesn't do the flying for his clients because he doesn't yet have a Part 135 certificate, but he does choose the spots with dubious scouting. His reputation is being built with each passing season. This season I learned how much he admired my business model after he copied the moving parts to begin his new chapter of Hunt Planning, rafts and game bags. With me, he's under the mud in the rut. Zero remaining support. But that's my problem and certainly not yours.

I can only support a small number of clients every season and my limits are largely self restricted, and the demand is high enough for Troy and others to succeed in hunt planning...but areas and pilots are harder to come by legitimately.

The best advice I have when asked is for you and your partners to discuss and agree upon your goals and expectations. With those solidly aligned, choose the best fitting service provider and minimize your personal risks. Document your experience and act lawfully and respectfully during your adventure travels. If I or any other business owner steps one foot outside our terms of agreement, then you'll be standing on both feet with a fist full of our short and curleys.

Good luck fellas. Much respect to anyone who disagrees with me about Troy Sessions and I truly hope your Alaska goals are completely fulfilled. Although all opinions are metaphorically equal to bungholes, I will always punch you straight in the mouth with honesty and integrity. Time will tell about Sessions, but so far he's just demonstrated bottom feeder traits I find offensive and costly to others. When a pilot asks me what I think of Sessions, I'll tell them firmly to walk away. I told them all the same thing about Kent Keiser, and this year karma exacted a terribly high price:

Demand to know Session's chosen pilot's experience and reputation BEFORE you come to AK. If he can't produce that pilot's name (the most solid and most critical part of your bush logistics)...walk away. I'm still alive today, as are all of my thousand or so clients, because we don't fly with 4th or 5th option pilots.

OldCrusty

FNG
Larry Bartlet I find it repulsive that you chalked up the deaths of a pilot and hunter as "KARMA" under Kent! SHAMEFUL!

From the looks at Troy Sessions website "the reason" he is successful at hunt planning is because his guys are taking more B & C Moose and Caribou every year over anyone else including you.

From what I see Troy Sessions is able to fly anywhere in Alaska and hunt all on his own without help from anyone and you however need pilots like him to hold your hand flying you out into the field and then rescuing you from the gravel bar later on. Much Respect for Troy Sessions and I see a classic case of envy on your part...
The fact that you are NOT A PILOT speaks volumes about you. As for me I will follow whatever Troy Sessions has to say or recommends on all levels..
Hell he is a United States AIR-FORCE WAR VETERAN for crying out loud!

As for you Larry Bartlet it's clear you need to deflate that big head of yours... And start by apologizing to the surviving members of the pilots family.

Larry Bartlet I have lost ALL RESPECT FOR YOUR!

mooster

WKR
Hey guys, for the record so the email questions can stop and anyone worried about their options can move on with their own decisions:

Troy flies and flies well (firsthand experience). He locates pockets with big moose and finds ways to get to them...That's his ONLY value proposition to you. Don't forget that point. If that's what you're after, you'll probably do better than 50% success and achieve most of your hunting goals.

However, personal success at others expense will **** up your game plan when karma cashes in her debt. This year he had problems finding qualified and willing pilots to work with him (I know of three that declined), and that problem is self inflicted and puts his clients at risk (who wants a last-option pilot?). Respectable and qualified pilots don't need to work with Troy Sessions because they haven't heard of the guy and he hasn't earned an honest reputation yet. No one in this industry takes him seriously (FB followers exempt). And his copying my brands only set him back into the rut he was in before Hunt Planning.

Troy doesn't do the flying for his clients because he doesn't yet have a Part 135 certificate, but he does choose the spots with dubious scouting. His reputation is being built with each passing season. This season I learned how much he admired my business model after he copied the moving parts to begin his new chapter of Hunt Planning, rafts and game bags. With me, he's under the mud in the rut. Zero remaining support. But that's my problem and certainly not yours.

I can only support a small number of clients every season and my limits are largely self restricted, and the demand is high enough for Troy and others to succeed in hunt planning...but areas and pilots are harder to come by legitimately.

The best advice I have when asked is for you and your partners to discuss and agree upon your goals and expectations. With those solidly aligned, choose the best fitting service provider and minimize your personal risks. Document your experience and act lawfully and respectfully during your adventure travels. If I or any other business owner steps one foot outside our terms of agreement, then you'll be standing on both feet with a fist full of our short and curleys.

Good luck fellas. Much respect to anyone who disagrees with me about Troy Sessions and I truly hope your Alaska goals are completely fulfilled. Although all opinions are metaphorically equal to bungholes, I will always punch you straight in the mouth with honesty and integrity. Time will tell about Sessions, but so far he's just demonstrated bottom feeder traits I find offensive and costly to others. When a pilot asks me what I think of Sessions, I'll tell them firmly to walk away. I told them all the same thing about Kent Keiser, and this year karma exacted a terribly high price:

Demand to know Session's chosen pilot's experience and reputation BEFORE you come to AK. If he can't produce that pilot's name (the most solid and most critical part of your bush logistics)...walk away. I'm still alive today, as are all of my thousand or so clients, because we don't fly with 4th or 5th option pilots.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Gents, I think that both sides of the issue have been brought up for the readers to research their own direction from here. If we can let the Session/Bartlett beef be hashed out between them, I think that is best.

Larry is a longtime sponsor and contributor here, and I value his opinion. I appreciate him bringing his concerns to my attention.

As I stated earlier, I still plan on going with Troy's outfit next fall, and I'll post my results for better or for worse.

In the meantime, I've been working up some loads for the .340 Weatherby, playing with 225 grain Partitions and 225 grain Barnes TTSX. The TTSX seem to be winning in the accuracy department. I've used the Noslers on elk and mule deer with good success, planning on trying the Barnes on my Colorado tags this year.

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious how the Barnes work out. I have been using accubonds out of my 300wby on elk with solid performance. The only issue I have had on my last two annimals was this year... one at 70 yards (bull elk) and one at 14 (Shiras bull). bullet poked through without much expansion - not the bullets fault and I will keep with them unless convinced Barnes are working well.