Well, I booked it. Alaska 2021

OP
Gunnersdad49
Bull Magnet came in, family is sick of moose calls already! 😂

I put together some test loads for the .340, found one she seems to like using H4350 and 225 grain Barnes TTSX. They were still below max, but the faster I pushed them the better they shot, so I’ll try one more test batch before I lock them in. 5-10 mph winds shooting off a bag at 100 yards.

also learned to double check your Magnetospeed between shots. Mine walked far enough forward after 2 rounds that I need to replace the strap on it now. Oops.

Attachments

• E75278F5-DD8F-4C75-87A7-EE31454A622C.jpeg
    E75278F5-DD8F-4C75-87A7-EE31454A622C.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 33
  • AA17A2DA-8134-45DD-92F8-F731944DF921.jpeg
    AA17A2DA-8134-45DD-92F8-F731944DF921.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
Gunnersdad49
The magnetospeed blew up on the lowest load (75 gr of H4350 after a reading of 2880fps). The best accuracy was from 77.5 gr, so it's a little sportier than the initial load, but I doubt it is as fast as yours. I'll get the strap fixed (or have some beers and order a Labradar) and try for some real data.

AKDoc

WKR
Bull Magnet came in, family is sick of moose calls already! 😂
Good purchase sir! I bought one when they first came out years ago...it's a little beat-up from a lot of use every year!

It really does help to project your calls much, much further out. You can also specifically direct your calls much better, and I've been able to turn bulls that are approaching. For example, a couple of years ago one was approaching directly from the opposite side of the lake towards me. As he got to the lake he started to go around the lake to his right, but I wanted him to go around to his left (closer to camp), so I turned 90 degrees towards the direction I wanted him to go and called again (making it sound like the call was from that direction), and he turned to go that way...shot him fifteen steps from the meat pole!

IMG_4698.jpg

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Countdown is at 45 days until travel starts. I'm starting the "leave that pile alone, it's my Alaska stuff" stage in the basement. Now I'm sorting out how many battery packs for the phone and in-reach and camera, should I bring the Goal Zero solar panel or not, etc.
If you haven't already considered it, I'd add a sat phone to your list, I wouldn't do a remote hunt without one.

mooster

WKR
a Garmin satellite messenger is a good option for in the field communications with a transporter and family.
we suffered majorly last year when our only solar panel started to not work effectively and then the cloudy days rendered it almost useless. we'll have two solar units and two battery packs. not fun when you can't communicate flight details nor update the family on your continued wellbeing.

OP
Gunnersdad49
If you haven't already considered it, I'd add a sat phone to your list, I wouldn't do a remote hunt without one.
We have looked into it, we have two In Reach devices between the two of us, and my buddy has a battery pack with a built in solar panel. I think we are going to skip the phone and just utilize the In Reaches

OP
Gunnersdad49
Made up some more ammo for another range session this week. Fingers crossed they shoot well in my buddy’s rifle too.

Attachments

• 0B545B57-D427-4919-A546-A5390D742CA6.jpeg
    0B545B57-D427-4919-A546-A5390D742CA6.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 48
  • BF926860-8849-456E-A8A1-3702AA5AC326.jpeg
    BF926860-8849-456E-A8A1-3702AA5AC326.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 46

AKDoc

WKR
It's that time of year for sure. I'm doing the exact same activities up here that you guys are sharing. We are definitely all watching the same movie right now and enjoying the heck out of it.

I just moved my wife's car out of the garage so that I have room to organize and stage gear for my two forthcoming trips...and I don't even ship for my 10-day float trip until 8/13...8/22 for my two-week moose drop! I have several lists going around the house. I think about things I need to add to a list in the middle of the night, and then I forget what it was the next morning, etc., etc.

We probably vary in the number of battery devices, power utilization, and storage/recharging needs. Since it's being discussed, I'll share that my battery needs are just the GAIA and Earthmate phone aps on airplane mode, photos, and I text my wife nitely on my inReach Explorer. I always have two battery packs and my solar charger, and for my utilization needs that has worked well for two-week runs...even though the direct sunshine opportunities to use my charger might be pretty skinny to nonexistent on the trip. My headlamp batteries are a different system...zebralight and a couple of back-up batteries.

The best to all of you this year! BTW gunnerdad49...I also reload those wonderful TSX and TTSX's, and they are going to do the job for you!

Oh, I also take a SAT phone, which is usually never used...thankfully.

Keep in mind some transporters simply don't like communicating via text and others don't even have the capability. There's one in particular that has no cell service and such limited/spotty internet that they don't even have wifi so a landline phone call or email is your only option if you want to communicate with them. It's worth checking.

I gave up on the solar panels in AK. You need full blown sun for them to work, which you might get 2 hours of in 10 days. On a moose hunt where weight isn't an issue, I just pack the battery packs I'll need.

mooster

WKR
Another good tidbit is to inventory and minimize battery types. Also, to cover switches in a way to prevent accidental “on’s” during transport. Usually I’m cramming things into the smallest space and has resulted in accidentally Turning on a device that subsequently discharges during travel.

s

cnelk

WKR
I did a battery test on my InReach a couple years ago.

I fully charged the unit, the let it go to ‘sleep mode’. Each day I would send one text message and then let it go back to sleep.

The battery depleted approx 12% each day, and at day 7 there was about 15% battery life remaining.

Cold temps would definitely have adverse effect on the battery, but if the unit was kept on your person or in your sleeping bag at night, I’m guessing the results would be similar.

OP
Gunnersdad49
AKDoc, I'm only charging the phone for the same reasons as you, the InReach, and my Garmin watch. I use Black Diamond headlamps, and have a pair of those and a Petzl micro headlamp for the bino harness.

I also have a couple of sizes of these Mustang dry bags with a waterproof zipper. They weigh very little compared to a Bills Bag or something. I'll be using them as transport bags to stuff into smaller areas of the plane.

William, our pilot prefers the InReach, so we should be covered there.

I also make a list on my phone in the Notes app so I don't have to find a pen or paper when I wake up in the middle of the night and think "crap! don't forget a bone saw for the ribs!" or something similar.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Loaded the final rounds tonight and the gear pile continues to grow. Buddy and I will be doing a gear run through this week and doing some final tweaks over the next three weeks.

Attachments

• B1221AB2-4CD5-4DAD-AC05-CD2A8E0FA050.jpeg
    B1221AB2-4CD5-4DAD-AC05-CD2A8E0FA050.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 50
OP
Gunnersdad49
Last minute jitters have me questioning the size of my game bags. We are going to a bone-in unit, so I'll need to get each front quarter, ribs, and hind quarters (probably half of a hind quarter) all bagged up.
Cnelk and I have been chatting about numbers of tarps, cooking setups, etc. I've got a gear list on my phone, and am picking up odds and ends (like a phone charging cord. that would have been a doozy to forget).
I've spoken with our pilot to ensure we are all good to go there, so now it is just a matter of packing everything up and keeping it all under 50 pounds per piece of luggage.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Last minute jitters have me questioning the size of my game bags. We are going to a bone-in unit, so I'll need to get each front quarter, ribs, and hind quarters (probably half of a hind quarter) all bagged up.
Cnelk and I have been chatting about numbers of tarps, cooking setups, etc. I've got a gear list on my phone, and am picking up odds and ends (like a phone charging cord. that would have been a doozy to forget).
I've spoken with our pilot to ensure we are all good to go there, so now it is just a matter of packing everything up and keeping it all under 50 pounds per piece of luggage.
You're going to need 4 bags just for the quarters alone, get the T.A.G. bags, I guarantee you won't regret it.