Well We Did It

whaack

WKR
6 years ago my BIL agreed to join me in a life long dream to not just kill an elk with my bow, but do it on public land DIY.

Fast forward 6 years, two trip to CO and a trip to MT we were finally successful.

There was so much to learn for a guy from IL and many of you helped with dumb questions along the way; thank you.

After 4.5 days of hunting and being chased out of our unit due to fires, we relocated into a new area, picked a spot on OnX and started hunting. 4 hours later we were on this young bull.

I was the trigger man and my BIL called him into 35 yards. Bull died 80 yards from the shot. You would have thought the two of us won $100 million jackpot.

Now we are headed home with 180# of meat and one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Best part is he died 100 yards off a logging road that allowed us to drive nearly right up to him.

f0b7404008007e26889f8a1bf92f51d3.jpg

af20ce13b64e4be00435041a328c5253.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an experience! Congrats on putting that dream into action. I look to do the same a couple years down the road.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
That's awesome! Congrats on your bull, sorry you missed out on the real meat packing experience. :)

Before we relocated due to fires we were hunting 4-6 mikes from trailhead. Being able to drive up snd load the quarters was a really unexpected surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely your part about the elk being 100 yards from a road must be a mistake. I thought the only possible way to kill an elk was to hike 5 miles in with 5 thousand dollars worth of gear stuffed into your backpack?

Nice work!

ColoHtr

FNG
Congrats! Love hearing these stories of guys working hard for years and finally getting it done. Hopefully the first of many.

RCL

WKR
Congratulations to both of you.
That should be some great eating.