What are people using in the ways of head lamps for backpack hunting?

STAGHOUND

FNG
Me and my dad are going on a backpack hunt later in the year, we both will be needing new head lamps and I was just wondering what everyone is using.

schur7559

FNG
I’ve had 2 Black Diamonds and both have went to crap on me after one hunt. The first one was a Storm that just stopped working so I figured I got a lemon. I bought a Spot for a hunt the following year and it flickers all the time. I’ll be going with Petzl next year.

Drenalin

WKR
I’ve had 2 Black Diamonds and both have went to crap on me after one hunt. The first one was a Storm that just stopped working so I figured I got a lemon. I bought a Spot for a hunt the following year and it flickers all the time. I’ll be going with Petzl next year.
I've had two Spots crap out on me. I've had a Petz Tactikka for around 15 years now, and despite cracking the housing a few years ago, it will not die. I've also had a good couple of year run with a Nitecore NU25; I replaced the elastic band with shock cord to make it ultralight, but now they sell them that way as an option. It's my preferred choice for backpacking, but the Petzl is the one I grab on my way out the door, headed into a crawlspace, camping with the family, etc. - it's just a very sturdy headlamp.

Austin Kaufman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running a fenix HM65R for about 4 years now. I did have to replace the battery after year two (understandable I used it almost daily and would run it dead a lot on high). It’s been an awesome light. The past few years I picked up sofirn and 77 outdoor headlamps and have thought they are really good too. Better price point and they haven’t don’t me wrong! There’s a lot of good options for rechargeable and for battery powered lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
I run a petzl, can’t remember what series it is. I started using a peax last year and by the end of this season the battery wouldn’t hold charge.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Black diamond spot. It has a locking function for the buttons to keep the light from getting turned on in my pack. This a must have feature for me while packing in.

I bought a BD for the “lock feature” and I’ve never had a headlamp turn on in my pack so many times as this one. Good light but not much good when it’s been on all day and you haven’t noticed it.

I now use some cheap cyclops ones. Single button operation and Red light feature. Does all I need. I’m also not the guy who needs a light so bright I could land aircraft with it.

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
I have a nitecore nu25 that is very light and simple to use that also had a red light. It also works well as a backup since it's so light. I also have a petzl reactik+ that is heavier but has some more bells and whistles. Have had others in the past but these are the main two I use now and am happy with both.

It seems like many on here use the peax but I haven't used that one.

kickemall

WKR
I've used Black Diamond Revolt for quite a while now and beat the crap out of it. The thing I like about it over all the others I've tried is the ability to use varying intensities on the beam, especially the flood which is the absolute best beam I've used for walking as it provides plenty of light but doesn't blind me. That its rechargeable and can also use batteries is a huge plus.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up two of the Sofirn D25LR headlamps. These replaced my black diamond cosmo headlamp. Better run times, brighter, can recharge the battery and/or replace the 18650 battery if you don't have time to charge it.

Wow. Ive had the same spot for about 5 years. The AAA battery version. I use it multiple times a week in regular life and on all hunting adventures. Waterfowl, western, whitetail etc and has never not worked. I just bought the storm rechargeable this year since lithium batteries have gotten so expensive. Has been fine so far but not as much use as the spot. Were the ones you had issues with rechargeable or aaa versions?

Maverick1

WKR
Me and my dad are going on a backpack hunt later in the year, we both will be needing new head lamps and I was just wondering what everyone is using.
Lots of choices. Whatever you end up with, plan ahead. Use the same type of batteries in your headlamps as other devices (SPOT device, GPS, headlamp, etc). AA or AAA. Makes life much easier.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I bought a BD for the “lock feature” and I’ve never had a headlamp turn on in my pack so many times as this one. Good light but not much good when it’s been on all day and you haven’t noticed it.
Let me guess it was the tapered top single protruding button one? I had the same issue with it. The newer rectangular ones with two buttons slightly recessed lock out reliably now.

Tagged for interest...

I just ordered some Slonik rechargeables. Hoping they do well since they have 18650 batteries...