What are people using in the ways of head lamps for backpack hunting?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have two Petzl's that I've had for years. One is a spot, and the other is more of a flood, but still decent for detail work. I keep them both in my pack and a spare set of batteries.

180ls1

WKR
I have a nitecore nu25 that is very light and simple to use that also had a red light. It also works well as a backup since it's so light. I also have a petzl reactik+ that is heavier but has some more bells and whistles. Have had others in the past but these are the main two I use now and am happy with both.

It seems like many on here use the peax but I haven't used that one.

This one is hard to beat. The cheapies like mentioned above were too cheap and heavy. I also couldn't justify $100+ for some of the expensive ones. These are like $39, 1.5oz and strike a great balance/value.

twall13

WKR
I prefer rechargeable headlamps over AA or AAA by a long shot. I always have a battery pack to recharge things anyway so that way I don't have to deal with extra batteries for all my electronics.

I typically either take my trusty Zebralight H600 (18650 battery) or, lately, a smaller Sofirn HS10 (16340 battery). I also always have a Petzl E+Lite in my bino harness as a backup. It weighs less than an ounce and has come in handy a couple of times now.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have just run one Energizer with lithium batteries or run a rechargeable one with a battery bank to recharge.

I have a backup emergency led button light that weighs nothing and the flashlight feature on my phone.

BBob

WKR
Petzl Actik Core. One rechargeable battery lasts me well over a week on pack hunts. I’ve been using Petzl headlamps for 30 ish years starting with the original Tikka. I keep a really small old original Black Diamond Ion for backup in my emergency kit. It weighs near nothing and runs on two lithium coin cells.

repins05

WKR
I have just run one Energizer with lithium batteries or run a rechargeable one with a battery bank to recharge.

I have a backup emergency led button light that weighs nothing and the flashlight feature on my phone.
I am using a Fenix HM70R. Very happy with the light and functions. However a plastic clip has broke on it and the light light shifts back and forth (still usable but annoying). I was able to use it during the hunting seasons last year. I am in the process of sending it back in. It appears that Fenix is going to fix it for free (it is outside of the warranty now). It has been a process to get to the point of sending it in. Fenix has handled it smoothly but my initial contact with fenix was sent to the main company? then a distributer.....then to another distributer. Took 3 days to finally get the info to send it back in. Again, with that being said, ever entity that I spoke with responded in a timely manner......but it has taken days because the amount of people I have had to talk with to get to the correct distributer. Appears that there are a few distributers that are assigned regions. This isn't a deal breaker for me yet with Fenix. However it is a consideration for future purchases. If you don't have patience Fenix may not be for you.

I picked up two of the Sofirn D25LR headlamps. These replaced my black diamond cosmo headlamp. Better run times, brighter, can recharge the battery and/or replace the 18650 battery if you don't have time to charge it.
This is what I did too.

Cheaper, brighter, rechargeable. Winner.

They actually work now with the two recessed buttons (you have to push both) as an FYI if you ever were considering that brand again. That old design sucked and I just use that headlamp around the house now.

I second this. Mine has two recessed buttons that have to be held down simultaneously to lock/unlock. Its hard enough to unlock it intentionally… id venture to say nearly impossible for it to accidentally unlock in a pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
I've been using the black diamond spot for 7-8 years now without any issues. Lightweight and plenty bright for me. I also have a rechargeable fenix HM65R that I love and is super bright, but haven't taken it in the backcountry.

TaperPin

WKR
I like to take two - a high lumen for bushwhacking and general hiking around at night, and a low lumen for use in the tent and around camp.

schur7559

FNG
Wow. Ive had the same spot for about 5 years. The AAA battery version. I use it multiple times a week in regular life and on all hunting adventures. Waterfowl, western, whitetail etc and has never not worked. I just bought the storm rechargeable this year since lithium batteries have gotten so expensive. Has been fine so far but not as much use as the spot. Were the ones you had issues with rechargeable or aaa versions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They were both AAA versions and I run lithiums.

TheGDog

WKR
Nebo Einstein 1500
Nebo Mycro

The Einstein 1500 is pretty freakin' cool. I especially like that it's Red light is actually quite usable! Not just some piddly little single-digit number of lumens like most. Uses those rechargeable batteries (something like 18650's I think?) where the USB connector is right on the battery itself.

-=-=-

If I want to keep it light, and it's just a day outing that doesn't require too much time on the hike-in / hike-out... I'll just bring two of the Nebo Mycro headlamps. (Two just in case ya get lucky before sundown, so ya have one for processing in the dark, and the 2nd one for the hike back out.)

The Mycro's, you can also just clip em onto your cap too. I'll bring it with when taking walks with the dog at night.

The Mycro's weigh like nothing. And if you're good about making use of the lower setting when you don't really need the high... if you don't end up having to process/debone a critter in the dark, just 1 can get ya in and back out to your vehicle no problem. Disclaimer: referring to about a 6mi trail-line for most of the way in and way out so ya don't need lotta brightness when en-route in the dark. If you're going thru raw terrain, it'll take more time. YMMV

For battery bank, using a Streamlight EPU-5200.
-=-=-

SIDE NOTE: Make sure to take a sec to REALLY evaluate and look-at how the light is turned-on by the user, and steer clear of designs that could easily become accidentally turned-on when they're stuffed into your pack and perhaps something else in the pack is pushed up against it and somehow manages to accidentally turn it on. Some brands have real dumb engineering in that regard sometimes.

Last edited:
BD rechargeable spot user here. I wrap it around my frame instead of putting it in my pack. No issues with it getting turned on accidentally.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Petzl fan here. Simple and reliable. Not quite sure of the model, uses 3 AAA's and has 3 white light settings plus one red setting.

For anything up to a week leave on a hunt with fresh lithium AAA's in the headlamp, one spare set in my pack waist belt. Over a week, carry one more set of spare batts in my pack. Never went through 3 sets of batts.

Carry a tiny 2 AA streamlite penlight in my survival kit as a spare lt. Never needed to use it.

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
If you do a lot of hiking in the dark the red-light from Peax is amazing. Big fan of this headlamp.

ozyclint

WKR
Fenix HL50. Single AA or CR123. Being AA it uses the same batteries as my GPS. Only need to carry 1 type of spare and I can poach from either device if needed.

Vaultman

WKR
I have a nitecore nu25 that is very light and simple to use that also had a red light. It also works well as a backup since it's so light. I also have a petzl reactik+ that is heavier but has some more bells and whistles. Have had others in the past but these are the main two I use now and am happy with both.

It seems like many on here use the peax but I haven't used that one.

This one is hard to beat. The cheapies like mentioned above were too cheap and heavy. I also couldn't justify $100+ for some of the expensive ones. These are like $39, 1.5oz and strike a great balance/value.

A 3rd vote for the Nitecore NU25. Super light weight, Super comfortable, no worry about battery corosion.