What are the odds this is a micro-chipped Antler?

It was 8 feet on private so we left it. It looked to perfect to be natural. We hadn't seen any elk in the area in 5 days.1000007792.jpg

Educate me on microchip antlers! Are people doing such things to remedy theft, trespass, etc…. Sounds pretty nuts!

11boo

WKR
Colorado parks and wildlife have hundreds of them. They put them out in April to catch antler thieves, poaching antlers before may 1. They keep it on the down low though.
CPW loves an ambush. They thought my camera flash was a suppressed gun when I stopped at their roboelk and took pics. In a mad minute my truck was surrounded with drawn guns, screaming at me to drop the gun.

I asked one of them to take my pic with robo elk, I was told to leave immediately. Funny thing was I had my pistol on my hip concealed and they never checked me, just dug thru my long guns making sure they were empty.

Ucsdryder

WKR
CPW loves an ambush. They thought my camera flash was a suppressed gun when I stopped at their roboelk and took pics. In a mad minute my truck was surrounded with drawn guns, screaming at me to drop the gun.

I asked one of them to take my pic with robo elk, I was told to leave immediately. Funny thing was I had my pistol on my hip concealed and they never checked me, just dug thru my long guns making sure they were empty.
That’s awesome. Was it realistic? Bull or cow? Was it on private or were they just trying to get people shooting from the road? It would be pretty funny if someone figured it out and parked and ran 50 feet off the centerline and started lighting it up.

Is that a recent photo or from the fall?

My guess is that the CPW probably isn't baiting antlers on private property, unless there is a locally known reason to, i.e: a large and visible herd frequents that pasture, or trespassing claims from the landowner.

Even if the antler isn't "chipped," there's a chance it's being watched in one way or another.

I imagine that the threat of antlers containing a microchip is probably more of a deterrent than is the reality of actually picking them up.

Don’t break the law and you don’t have anything to worry about. I hope they bust everybody in Colorado stashing antlers in April.
How would they catch people that just stash them in the trees and then come back for them in May? Seems like it would be difficult to prove and unfortunately I think is what a lot of people are doing now. A couple years ago I found someone's shed stash that had 5 elk antlers tucked under a tree.

Ucsdryder

WKR
How would they catch people that just stash them in the trees and then come back for them in May? Seems like it would be difficult to prove and unfortunately I think is what a lot of people are doing now. A couple years ago I found someone's shed stash that had 5 elk antlers tucked under a tree.
Cameras are small and cheap. 😜