What are you paying for when you buy a $ 4K rifle?

Loo.wii

WKR
I bought my Howa 1500 in 300WM for $500 I replaced the stock ($250) for a carbon fibers stock and I will shortly swap the barrel for a carbon six ($600).

I have sold the takeoffs to subsidize my upgrades and my rifle weighs 8 pounds including a can. What's the word on these uber pricy rifles? what more are you getting?

I have personally experienced $100 glass vs $2000 glass. and the same with AR patter rifles. At least when it comes to AR patter rifles there are diminishing returns. 2k not including glass is where is the point where I think diminishing returns start.

what's your point of diminishing returns for bolt guns?

Last edited:

MthwSdmn

FNG
I think there’s something to be said for fit and finish in addition to the cool factor. My moderately more expensive rifle shoots excellent and while it might not be significantly more accurate than a tikka, it feels and looks significantly nicer in my opinion and for me that was worth the $$.

COelk89

FNG
My buddy just picked up a mesa fft for around $1500 bucks. I don't think you can beat that for the price. Gets you about all the "custom" options outside of a carbon barrel. I paid 1200 for my Tikka t3 superlite a few years ago and it has a plastic stock...

So I will go with $1500 as the point where you see diminishing returns. No one requires more than a Ford XLT but plenty of platinum and limited running around at 2x the price.

WCB

WKR
Honestly $1000 for a rifle is pushing it for me. I shoot $700-$900 rifles (without optic) and they hit where I want them to and after many hundreds if not 1000+ rounds through a lot of them I have had ZERO issues. For the most part to me a bolt action rifle looks like a bolt action rifle. I do hate chassis guns though as far as looks.

I have a beat up/well used Remington Model 600 .308win that cycles every round with no issues and shoots moa all day everyday. I had clients kill a couple elk and a Mule Deer with it when I carried in the truck or on a horse for a back up gun guiding. I am 100% confident a $4000 rifle would not of killed the elk any more dead.

COelk89

FNG
I think there’s something to be said for fit and finish in addition to the cool factor. My moderately more expensive rifle shoots excellent and while it might not be significantly more accurate than a tikka, it feels and looks significantly nicer in my opinion and for me that was worth the $$.

That's funny I am somewhat opposite this year. I have the option of shooting my Mesa FFT in 300 wm that I got last winter or my Tikka Superlite in 30-06 I have had for several years and killed a lot of animals. I will be taking my plastic Tikka this year because I have not had the range time to get comfortable with the Mesa and a scope that dials. I have not had the range time in part because I hate to shoot that thing when other people are at the range because it makes such a ruckus. This helped me rationalize finally ordering a can for the Mesa so I can look forward to preparing properly with it. My only rifle tag is a deer tag.

SDHNTR

WKR
I like rifles. I like nice rifles. I like nice rifles built the way I want them built. Rifles are one of the few things in life I splurge on. I drive a 18 yr old truck and am frugal with most other things. What you get when you go custom is just that, customization. An action/receiver with the features I want. A barrel in the specific chambering and throating, rifling, twist, length and contour I want. The stock shape and material I want. The colors I want. Nothing available off the rack anywhere provides all of what I want. And inaccuracies in fit and finish that are naturally present in mass produced rifles irritate me. I don’t want that. For most, all they care is that it goes bang and bullets land where they are supposed to. A few want that, yes, but also have more discerning wants too. That’s me. Life is too short to shoot boring rifles (no offense to custom rifle builder of same name).

Last edited:

MthwSdmn

FNG
That's funny I am somewhat opposite this year. I have the option of shooting my Mesa FFT in 300 wm that I got last winter or my Tikka Superlite in 30-06 I have had for several years and killed a lot of animals. I will be taking my plastic Tikka this year because I have not had the range time to get comfortable with the Mesa and a scope that dials. I have not had the range time in part because I hate to shoot that thing when other people are at the range because it makes such a ruckus. This helped me rationalize finally ordering a can for the Mesa so I can look forward to preparing properly with it. My only rifle tag is a deer tag.
Nice. Mine is a nosler 21 in 6.5 prc. Luckily not affected by feeding issues. I would definitely pick up the same in 300 wm

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
I like rifles. I like nice rifles. I like nice rifles built the way I want them built. That’s what you get, customization. A receiver with the features I want. A barrel in the specific chambering and throating, rifling, twist, length and contour I want. The stock shape and material I want. The colors I want. Nothing available off the rack anywhere provides all of what I want. And inaccuracies in fit and finish that are naturally present in mass produced rifles irritate me. I don’t want that. For most, all they care is that it goes bang and bullets land where they are supposed to. A few want that, yes, but also have more discerning wants too. That’s me. Life is too short to shoot boring rifles (no offense to custom rifle builder of same name).
i want to see your collection

Some people like really nice things.
Some people are cheap and don't care.
And some people try to get the best bang for their buck (which I think is a lot ofbthe crowd here) hence the tikka recs

My buddy just picked up a mesa fft for around $1500 bucks. I don't think you can beat that for the price. Gets you about all the "custom" options outside of a carbon barrel. I paid 1200 for my Tikka t3 superlite a few years ago and it has a plastic stock...

So I will go with $1500 as the point where you see diminishing returns. No one requires more than a Ford XLT but plenty of platinum and limited running around at 2x the price.

Here is a steal on a level up from the base Tikka.
Sako S20 Precision .243 Win 24" Bbl 1:10"- $1,199

For the guys that want more power, the .300 WM, 7 mag, and 6.5 PRC in the S20 precision are all $1,099.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-Precision-Rifles.aspx

Basically getting a fully adjustable ergonomic stock for less than half of a Stockys, McMillan, etc..., etc..., and cheaper than a KRG. The magazines are also built with extra length for reloaders.

Last edited:

ranny

FNG
Seems like part of it comes down to your intended purpose. I am a hunter and not much of a recreational shooter, and don't shoot at critters much past 450 yards. So for me a high dollar rifle isn't worth it- I'd rather put that money toward other gear. But for guys that are willing to put in the time to become proficient at shooting at game at longer distances, or enjoy precision shooting in addition to hunting, maybe the high dollar rifles are worth it.

COelk89

FNG
Here is a steal on a level up from the base Tikka.
Sako S20 Precision .243 Win 24" Bbl 1:10"- $1,199

For the guys that want more power, the .300 WM, 7 mag, and 6.5 PRC in the S20 precision are all $1,099.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-Precision-Rifles.aspx

Basically getting a fully adjustable ergonomic stock for less than half of a Stockys, McMillan, etc..., etc..., and cheaper than a KRG. The magazines are also built with extra length for reloaders.

Those are nice rifles. I really like that for the tikka and this Sako, you don't need to shell out a c-note for a base, just get some rings and go. For me personally, I am not into the ergonomic stocks. I prefer the simplicity and less places for crud to get caught in a hunt.