What are you paying for when you buy a $ 4K rifle?

Anybody who makes more money than me must be an a-hole. Anybody who votes different than me… prolly an a-hole. I’m starting to suspect everybody who is not me… is an a-hole. And I’m wondering sometimes… am I the a-hole?

We should start a thread Ala Jeff Foxworthy “if you run a flat brim 6.5 manbun with a fluted bolt mounted in a manners stock… you might be an a-hole!!

20 years ago I came up with a formula of how many people you had to think were an A-hole before you infact were the A-hole.

It taught me I was an A-hole.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
I had my 4K rifle built for me exactly the way I wanted…. For 2K.
Winchester classic stainless short action, Mcmillan edge stock, Krieger SS barrel and NECG sights…. A most common caliber, easy to find ammo anywhere and works for me.

Shoots like this at 100 yards.

looks like this

has killed several elk and one moose…. Going hunting again this year for moose, deer and elk..

GSPHUNTER

WKR
20 years ago I came up with a formula of how many people you had to think were an A-hole before you infact were the A-hole.

It taught me I was an A-hole.
In my drinking days, I stopped 10 years ago +-, every time I would start drinking people would start turning into A-hole. My wife said, brace yourself for disappointment honey, it's not them, it's you. That was it for me.

def90

WKR
Whats the difference?

Maybe stress relieved steel for the barrels so that you don't get poi changes when the barrel heats up, maybe smoother action and trigger group, maybe higher quality materials for the stock, maybe a logo and a name.

7mm-08

WKR
There was a time that my purchase of a used Remington model 700 ADL was the only rifle I could afford. The 700 BDL was too far a stretch for me and my family with our budget then. As years have passed, the hard work resulted in a more robust budget and in my 60's, I (finally) felt comfortable with having a high quality rifle assembled. I still didn't (and don't have) enough money to have a rifle built. That's tens of thousands of dollars. I'm VERY pleased with the parts I had assembled and feel like I couldn't have done better. It is exactly what I hoped for and received. The rifle with optic was north of $6,000 and every time I look at or shoot it, I have a huge smile on my face. Getting what you always wanted after 40-some years working was and is a tremendous feeling. The only problem is it suffers in the accuracy department at .115 MOA.

Attachments

• 21165.jpeg
    21165.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 16

ODB

WKR
Winchester classic stainless short action, Mcmillan edge stock, Krieger SS barrel and NECG sights…. A most common caliber, easy to find ammo anywhere and works for me.

looks like this

has killed several elk and one moose…. Going hunting again this year for moose, deer and elk..
nice rifle man. Glad to see those sights...

BlackCore

FNG
Just got a Tikka CTR, dropped it in a MDT TAC 21, with Arken EP 5 glass. Now I just need a bipod. This is my first bolt and it will only be used for range shooting. The price tag was steeper than I imagined, but I really like the build. Anything with a chassis north of $2.5K is excessive. I'll be selling my stock soon to get me back around this price.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If I were able to afford such extravagance from a side venture of skill or creativity, I suppose I would have D’arcy Echols work his magic and give him free reign with a particular Pre 64 70 I own. At four large, I wouldn’t get much, but I know I would get back a handsome piece of functional art.
Here's someone who understands hand made precision and cool factor. D'arcy is a master.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Swamp Fox

WKR
wants versus need…

when I was young and broke I hunted with what I needed to get the job done effectively.

after 25 years of too much work I wanted a couple nice shotguns and rifles. So I spent the money I earned on things I wanted. Some of there things are cosmetic, some are functional.

Does it make me a better shooter…I don’t know. But I am happy with them and the work it took to own them. Doesn’t make make my brim flat or my ego change one bit.

What does bother me is the growing sentiment that owning things I want automatically makes me a clueless d bag. Do you really care about how I spend my money? I could go on and on about the many ways it’s unhealthy to be concerned with other folks. But I think this sums it up…

The same person that’s constantly staring into someone pockets probably isn’t too far off personality wise of the rich d bag they envision.

Hard to top this.

I will tell what I got with the rifle that I spent about $4500 on.

I got about $2000 in parts (action, barrel blank, bottom metal, stock, trigger, mount, bedding material) and about 30 hours of an absolute craftsman’s time. Still less per hour than my auto mechanic charges, and better work in my opinion.

It was well worth it for me.

Macintosh

WKR
Heck, plenty of people pay $1000 for a square block of wood for their rifle, and thats before any work or any of the parts even exist.

Diminishing returns starts happening somewhere around the absolute cheapest used rifle you can buy. All incremental performance and aesthetics comes at an increasing $ per increase in performance. It’s only a couple hundred $ more to get a brand new stainless tikka that is capable off the shelf of consistently making shots that people only dreamed of a few decades ago, compared to a 50-year old rattle trap of a sears roebuk and co gun from 1968 that was put away wet one too many times and has a suspicious looking crack in the stock. It still shoots minute of deer at 200 yards, so tell me why I NEED anything more? Increases in performance or aesthetics come at a huge inefficiency when you start comparing to a pretty refined mass-produced tool. I’d say all of it is both based in some level of self-defined “minimum expectation” that is both functional and aesthetic, as well as based largely in want. But to me the more relevant way to look at it is that anything past basic “need” becomes “want”, and thats where its pointless to try to justify it based on need. If its something you want, then if you can afford it knock yourself out and I’ll be happy for you.
Oh, and d-bags come in all sorts of flavors, and many dont have a thick wallet.

Is anything past this a “need”?

IMG_1778.jpeg
Photo from https://pulitzercenter.org/sites/default/files/22_fusil.jpg

TaperPin

WKR

looks like this

That front sight base looks sharp - nice classic rifle all around.

Swamp Fox

WKR
[...] But to me the more relevant way to look at it is that anything past basic “need” becomes “want”, and thats where its pointless to try to justify it based on need. If its something you want, then if you can afford it knock yourself out and I’ll be happy for you.
Oh, and d-bags come in all sorts of flavors, and many dont have a thick wallet.

Is anything past this a “need”?

View attachment 596421
Photo from https://pulitzercenter.org/sites/default/files/22_fusil.jpg
I would prefer non-Chinese pinch clamps and camo cable ties, though I admit Red makes it very hot in an Instagram Influencer kind of way.

But the conduit was prolly made in Pennsylvania in huge fiery ovens, so it has that going for it, which is nice.

Down here in Dixie I'd give it a 5.... It has a good beat, and you can dance to it.

Most of the hard-core, redneck cowboy Western types wouldn't look at it, though.

[Hat-tip to Ray Wylie Hubbard ....]

Sevens

WKR
After $1k you’re paying for customization, after $3k you’re paying for exclusivity. Eventually there comes a point where money isn’t the driving factor anymore.

I get exactly what I want with the guarantee that it won't be a POS. Configured exactly how I want it, tighter tolerances, dlc/ceracoat so that I never have to worry about rust. Trigger weight where I want, not where a clown puts in. A better, more ergonomical lighter stock that mitigates recoil, the ability to install prefit barrels if I decide I want to.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
This topic is full of opinions, and that is just what they, opinions. If you can afford a $4k or a $100k firearm, then by all means get it if you feel it is money well spent. I have several weapons that are, what I consider are very nice quality, and that opinion is shared by several of my friends. Not one cost over $2k. So once agin, if you can afford to spend it, go for it. JMHO

wants versus need…

when I was young and broke I hunted with what I needed to get the job done effectively.

after 25 years of too much work I wanted a couple nice shotguns and rifles. So I spent the money I earned on things I wanted. Some of there things are cosmetic, some are functional.

Does it make me a better shooter…I don’t know. But I am happy with them and the work it took to own them. Doesn’t make make my brim flat or my ego change one bit.

What does bother me is the growing sentiment that owning things I want automatically makes me a clueless d bag. Do you really care about how I spend my money? I could go on and on about the many ways it’s unhealthy to be concerned with other folks. But I think this sums it up…

The same person that’s constantly staring into someone pockets probably isn’t too far off personality wise of the rich d bag they envision.
Did we just become best friends !!!!