What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmez

WKR
It's a Corona virus affecting the respiratory system. It's contagious, China didn't need to tell anyone that.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
In the absence of a coherent comprehensive plan, what do you think is going to happen?
I think the shock and awe will wear off and people will go back to going what they do. The societal pressures will shift from OMG were all dying close everything up to this is BS open back up.

The virus will run its course and our efforts to stop it will have done nothing more than wreck the economy.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
It's a Corona virus affecting the respiratory system. It's contagious, China didn't need to tell anyone that.

I agree with some things you’ve said, but let’s not pretend that China wishes the US well, or that they’re anything short of a very insidious adversary.

jmez

WKR
I agree with some things you’ve said, but let’s not pretend that China wishes the US well, or that they’re anything short of a very insidious adversary.
Exactly why you believe nothing that they say.

jmez

WKR

Rmauch20

WKR
.3% of their population affected has overwhelmed the healthcare system. How long for shutdowns to prevent the other 99.7% from overwhelming it?

So you are ok with the state commandeering privately owned property?

WKR
I think the shock and awe will wear off and people will go back to going what they do. The societal pressures will shift from OMG were all dying close everything up to this is BS open back up.

The virus will run its course and our efforts to stop it will have done nothing more than wreck the economy.

jmez spittin' fire!

People keep talking about stopping this virus. Not possible. Just survive it and hopefully not overwhelm medical. Though, really, it's sort of a natural selector... 70-85% of those who go on a ventilator die anyway...

Hoping for an effective treatment, though not holding my breath. We don't tend to treat viruses very effectively, we mostly just try to survive them or avoid them through vaccination.

Think about if the curves were reversed and it was killing mostly babies and young kids... THAT would be the real nightmare.

jmez

WKR
So you are ok with the state commandeering privately owned property?
Absolutely not.

I'm asking for someone to give an explanation of how long the shutdowns and social distancing need to go on to keep the remaining 99.7% of people from overwhelming the already overwhelmed system. Something other than because people said so.

Rmauch20

WKR
Absolutely not.

I'm asking for someone to give an explanation of how long the shutdowns and social distancing need to go on to keep the remaining 99.7% of people from overwhelming the already overwhelmed system. Something other than because people said so.

My bad I will work on my reading comprehension!

jmez

WKR
We had 1000 deaths yesterday. That’s about 18% of the deaths over the last 45 days in one day. We could easily hit 200k if nothing changes. That’s the thing about the estimate though is that it’s based on current conditions. The first estimate you mentioned was based on basically doing nothing. The revised estimate is based on current prevention methods in use. The estimate can change again based on current resources like more ventilators or hospital capacity and social movement.
The first estimate changed because the author redacted the paper after admitting he grossly over estimated the numbers. Not because of any changes that were made.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Really, in the end....the most important thing/top priority for a government is assure that governments continuity.

I would bet that the largest majority of the early in the crisis (actually pre-crisis) buyout of Mountain House was by government agencies..They will confiscate/save ppe for their enforcers because without them their is no continuity of their government.........I think the very liberal states will fall apart the fastest. I hope the spread and death #'s slow dramatically soon. This situation has potential for very widespread disaster...

I've asked others this but what should the U.S. do to China for doing this to the world? Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on some punishment?

A, would you expect China to be straight about anything? B, it is a novel virus, everyone knew that. You don't need to be straight about a novel virus. It will wreak havoc wherever it goes.

It started in China, that's about all they have to do with it.
I guess it is easy when you make things that black and white. But, new data says they knew about it long before December. Maybe telling the world and shutting their borders down to international travel before letting 5 million people enter and leave Wuhan would have been the most prudent thing. Call me simple minded if you must. I'll take it.

jmez

WKR
I guess it is easy when you make things that black and white. But, new data says they knew about it long before December. Maybe telling the world and shutting their borders down to international travel before letting 5 million people enter and leave Wuhan would have been the most prudent thing. Call me simple minded if you must. I'll take it.
But when we suggest that after we know all about it your a xenophobic racist.

If you have a know thief in your neighborhood and don't put away or lock up your stuff.........

The first estimate changed because the author redacted the paper after admitting he grossly over estimated the numbers. Not because of any changes that were made.

Dude, that is not true. You’re taking about the DailyMail story?

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I've asked others this but what should the U.S. do to China for doing this to the world? Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on some punishment?
Bring more manufacturing jobs back home. Coming out of this economic slump, there will be plenty of people needing jobs. This has three benefits. First, people get jobs. Second, it takes some economy from China. Third, and maybe most importantly, it makes us less reliant on China.

Last summer I did a real interesting strategic studies project. Do some research on the Belt and Road Initiative. Check out the situation in Sri Lanka. Just one example. Listen to SecStates speech at NGA. And you’ll see the kinds of things China is up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.