What caliber should my next elk rifle be?

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Curious of what everyone recommends for my next elk rifle. I currently have a 30-06, 300 WM, and a .308.

Should I consider something like a 28 Nosler or get another .300WM because, why not. My .300 WM right now has a 1/10 twist, and does not seem to care for Berger 215's, which is why I would consider another WM or 30 cal.

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Since you have the standards covered, I would say 300 prc as it is built for those 215's.
How does the PRC compare to the 300 Norma, RUM, or 30 Nosler? I have also considered those

Laramie

WKR
Maybe think about the future and what you will want to shoot as you get older. The 6.5 PRC is really easy on the shoulder (Ours has a brake), is very accurate, and has proven to be great elk medicine for us out to 500+. The 28 is intriguing though, not a bad choice.

Pick up bow! Fun to shoot year round and makes elk season that much more interesting. Compliments your rifles (which are well rounded). Gives you more options and seasons, especially if you draw a tag like the wy gen. Just sayin...

Also...keeps room in your gun safe so you can continue to pile up!!

Dude the answer is so easy. You’re happy and comfortable shooting the .300. You just want better accuracy. What other bullets have you tried? All factory ammo? What kind of scope do you have? Who mounted it? So many questions. If you have faith in the scope/gun and no issues to speak of then look at your ammo. There are lots of good ones but your gun will favor one. Lots of guys love Hornady bullets. They make lots of good ammo and components. I use Accubonds. They fly good for my gun and they definitely do the job on elk when they get there. My gun doesn’t do well with Berger VLDs. I haven’t tried any of their other stuff. A friend shoots nothing but Berger and he’s a long range shooter for sure. The problem for me and all of us is getting the .30 cal Nosler bullets, or whatever brand you choose to try.

Curious of what everyone recommends for my next elk rifle. I currently have a 30-06, 300 WM, and a .308.

Should I consider something like a 28 Nosler or get another .300WM because, why not. My .300 WM right now has a 1/10 twist, and does not seem to care for Berger 215's, which is why I would consider another WM or 30 cal.
300 RUM fan here!!!
She likes a Retumbo / 200AB and LOVES!! N570 / 210 Berger VLD