What caliber should my next elk rifle be?

300PRC shooting 220eld-x is my dedicated elk rig. Working on load development for my 28 nosler for this year. Our hunting group shoots 300wm, 300wsm, 300prc, 28 nosler and 30-06. All work great 300prc and 28 nosler are better the further out you want to reach.

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
300PRC shooting 220eld-x is my dedicated elk rig. Working on load development for my 28 nosler for this year. Our hunting group shoots 300wm, 300wsm, 300prc, 28 nosler and 30-06. All work great 300prc and 28 nosler are better the further out you want to reach.
Is there that much difference between the 300 WM and the PRC?

jimh406

WKR
Two questions, do you reload, and how far do you expect to shoot? If you are typical and just want a different caliber, buy a 300 Weatherby Magnum.

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Two questions, do you reload, and how far do you expect to shoot? If you are typical and just want a different caliber, buy a 300 Weatherby Magnum.
Yes I reload and honestly I am taking my first trip out west this year, so no idea what the ranges will be. I would assume I would want to be comfortable out to 500-600 yards??

Any centerfite rifle from 6.5cm to 500 nitro will kill an elk they are not bullet prroof take out the vitals and they die .
Pick1 you shoot well and go kill an elk

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
The next question is, once I decide on a cartridge, should I try to build a custom or order a Fierce or something. I have never built a custom and think it would be fun to do, but I would have to buy prefit items as I do not have any of the smiting tools.

Fierce looks attractive with the .5 MOA guarantee

TxLite

WKR
My vote would go to 7mm. 7 LRM/PRC specifically. I like 7mm’s in general and I think it’s a good balance of recoil, barrel life and ballistics. I think Hornady does a better job of pushing calibers than Nosler and long term component availability would be better than the 28 Nosler.

I mean, why not a .223?

And I'm actually being serious.

You got 30 caliber covered, I can see having a light weight gun. Especially one that is easy to shoot and become very comfortable with. Just basically need to stick to the impossible to find 77 tmk bullet. So it's more a bullet recommendation than caliber.

Otherwise I'd look to 6 or 6.5 mm, again, to cover a lightweight, high volume shooting rifle that you really learn.

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any thoughts on the 30 Nosler? I am not certain there would be a large enough difference between my .300WM and a .300PRC.

I’m a .30 cal snob too but I’ve always wondered what it would be like to go over to the dark side with the 7mm family or maybe even a nice 270. But if you have plans for anything bigger than elk I would throw another vote for 338. My next rifle will be a 300prc or 338 if I can get back to Alaska.
I like the idea of a .338 just to have!

I also like the idea of the 6.5's and lighter carriages because I can use them for Whitetails back here in PA in addition to elk

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Not to sound boring, but maybe your 1-10 would agree with a lighter bullet?
Yep no doubt the 1/10 likely would shoot a lighter bullet better, I plan on trying it. I just feel that from talking to people it is a sin not to use a 215 Berger in a .300WM for elk lol