What caliber should my next elk rifle be?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Really considering the 300 PRC. Does anyone have one and how does it compare performance wise to the 300 WM? Large step up? Or not really worth it
You should find brass first before going down that path.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes of course. Not tracking your point
He wasn't comparing a weatherby mag to the 6.5. He was comparing a braked win mag to it. You missed the point entirely by bringing in the weatherby mag comparison. Substantial difference between the weatherby and win mags in felt recoil. Tracking now?

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Really considering the 300 PRC. Does anyone have one and how does it compare performance wise to the 300 WM? Large step up? Or not really worth it

The 300 PRC is a more modern and efficient case, and better ballistically.

If you already have all the 30 cal's you mentioned, the 300 PRC would be incrementally better but unless you're trying to push much heavier bullets than the Win Mag or shoot alot further than you are now I doubt you'll notice alot of difference.

amassi

WKR
He wasn't comparing a weatherby mag to the 6.5. He was comparing a braked win mag to it. You missed the point entirely by bringing in the weatherby mag comparison. Substantial difference between the weatherby and win mags in felt recoil. Tracking now?
That extra 4 grains of powder in the weatherby really make that big of a difference from the win mag in felt recoil?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

50 BMG, don't even have to hit the animal to knock it out. sure its heavy to carry but you can shoot 2 miles with it so you don't have to leave the truck.
you could also go to 270 or 7 rem mag, must be a reason why most modern cartridges are always compared to these 2 rounds and still don't do better.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone has an opinion and this has been a fun thread. I took 2 elk with my 280 Remington. Bull at 80 yards with 168 LRX and cow at 220 with 168 VLD, both died almost instantly. I can't argue with that, but I'm a 7mm fan, so a 280AI would be a solid choice if I were to do it all again. 28 Nosler has a lot of panache and I'd consider that in a larger heavier gun. If I was to build a more compact mountain rifle for a lot of carrying 7 SAUM would probably get the nod. Like a few have mentioned, how are you going to hunt? From a truck? Horseback? Packed in and climbing a ton? I think these are good considerations as well as the projectile you like to use. Sounds like you're settling on a 30, though. I have access to a very light 338 WM that shoots incredibly well. I'd probably grab that if I were going this year and planned to hike a bunch. We are spoiled with options and these discussions are great campfire fodder. Enjoy the journey and report back with what you land on.

No real reason reason besides that I just got a 64 gun safe and need some more to fill it haha.
What niche are you looking to fill with this new rifle? That’s where I would start… for big boomers, I still like the 338wm, it’s a cool classic cartridge… not flashy or fancy, but still very practical for a lot of hunting scenarios.

One gun I regret selling is my browning bar safari grade in .338, I have no real need for it, but it was a beautiful soft shooting rifle for what it was..

50 BMG, don't even have to hit the animal to knock it out. sure its heavy to carry but you can shoot 2 miles with it so you don't have to leave the truck.
you could also go to 270 or 7 rem mag, must be a reason why most modern cartridges are always compared to these 2 rounds and still don't do better.
The bmg is overrated, can’t even tip a doe over😉

The bmg is overrated, can’t even tip a doe over

I shoot a 300 Weatherby mag

3800 fps muzzle velocity
160 gr bonded trophy point killed 7 bull elk with it
Longest 1000 yds

500yds is a chip shot

Can hunt any big game in North America with it

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk