What camera is everyone using?

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I figured this would be the right area for this question so here it goes. I'm in the market to purchase a camera for my outdoor activities and stuff and I really don't know what is a good camera for what I want. I'm willing to spend around 300 or so. I'm curious to what people are using and what they like and don't like. All input would be great! Thanks in advance!

frans

Lil-Rokslider
I'm debating a purchase myself. I mostly carry a Canon SLR with the standard 18-55mm lens that comes with the kit and a 70-300mm Canon lens for reaching out. Clearly this is heavy compared to a smaller "point and shoot". There are a bunch of waterproof cameras out there in your price range, that should do well for your every-day needs, like the Pentax WG-3 and the Olympus TG-2 iHS. I'm currently looking at the Canon G15, which is not waterproof, but has some features that I value, but also is more expensive.

Frans

Check out the Canon SX50 for about $400 - a little over a pound, 24-1200mm equivalent via a variable 50x optical zoom telephoto lens. Reach out and touch 'em magnification, and not as bulky or expensive as an SLR. Much improved from the previous versions.

Also look at the Canon SX20 HS if you want something a bit smaller.

Neither of these camera's have great super macro capability (e.g. for taking pictures of flowers close up), but at distance and in low light they do very well.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke and I both use the Olympus TG-1 from their tough series. I take a lot more photos and video when I know my camera is waterproof and I don't have to stress about using it in the rain, or keeping it dry when we packraft. Mine lives in the waistbelt pocket of my pack for easy access without having to take anything off to get to it, and I like knowing I don't have to be especially gentle or careful with it. It also has an exchangeable adapter ring on the front which means it can accept an adaptor to be used for digi scoping with the tines up system. Neither one of us are big photo or video nerds, but I have been more than satisfied with this camera...if you have seen any photos or videos we have put together in the last 10 months you have seen the images captured with this camera (my sheep, caribou and goat hunts, etc...)

A quick google shopping search indicate it can be had for right around your price range, or just a little bit more.

Here is a complete review with specs etc.: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/olympus_tough_tg_1_review/

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Olympus stylus tough......advertised as shockproof/waterproof....i can vouch for the waterproof....:)

TEmbry

WKR
I just picked up an Olympus stylus... Amazing how much better/cheaper cameras are getting.

16.1 mp 24x optical zoom with a case and 4gb SD Card for $150. Ridiculous lol

The Olympus TG-2 is at the top of my list to acquire before I take off for the sheep hills this fall.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
An update:

I moved from the J1 to the V1 for the electronic viewfinder, which I really like. The Nikon 1 series is well suited for the backcountry.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I have happily used an Olympus Stylus for a number of years but have just ordered the Pentax WG3. It is one of the "tough" types of cameras but also has a specific feature I was after - the ability to take multiple pictures when the timer is set.

Vitals

WKR
Check out the Canon SX50 for about $400 - a little over a pound, 24-1200mm equivalent via a variable 50x optical zoom telephoto lens. Reach out and touch 'em magnification, and not as bulky or expensive as an SLR. Much improved from the previous versions.

Also look at the Canon SX20 HS if you want something a bit smaller.

Neither of these camera's have great super macro capability (e.g. for taking pictures of flowers close up), but at distance and in low light they do very well.

I have owned the SX50 for about 6 months now and LOVE IT. It really has some impressive zoom. I would say though that it is the largest camera I would take back packing. With a nice manfroto case that Best Buy was selling it with is perfect protection/not to bulky combination.

X2 on the recommendation.

OP
wk93

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Wow guys thanks for the suggestions! I have some researching to do on these now. All the ones I was previously looking at were bad in low light or weren't that clear. If you guys are liking yours then I'll probably consider them.

canon powershot elph 110 hs, 16.1 pixel, 1080p vid, 5x, small and dope photos,$110.00 tines up 37mm adapter, zeikos mount

I'm having a hard time leaving my Canon D60. I'm just used to it and it has most of the features I like but it's heavy. I just leave long lens at home. One of these days I'll update to lighter option that has all the options I want in a backcountry camera similar if not more options than the camera I have now. For now that is lower down on my gear/hunting wish list. With the way technology advances perhaps I won't have a very long wait and it may go down in cost too. :)

Jon Boy

WKR
Canon T4i for me this year.

Me too:) I just ordered an intervalometer-which allows you to shoot time lapse footage, really cool feature and really cheap. Now Im just trying to decide if I want a telephoto lense to go along with it.

So far I really like this camera and its ease of use, along with awesome video quality. Rather bulky, heavy, and expensive for the OP though.

Olympus Pen-1 for scouting and backpacking. Then I swap it out for the Olympus Tough 820 to get even smaller during hunting season. I really like having a the Tough because it's waterproof and I can be hard on my gear at times.

This one could be interesting if you usually take both a phone and compact camera:

Samasung's Galaxy S4 'Zoom' with 16MP and 10x Optical. Comes out this summer. The new S4 hardware flies they say.

galaxy-s4-zoom-5.jpg

galaxy-s4-zoom-2.jpg