What did you do today to get ready for Elk season?

87TT

WKR
A quick look at the calendar tells me I have two weeks left until opening day. I have been doing the normal things like shooting my bow and hiking with a weighted pack. Those I do pretty much year round.
Today I made a sitting pad with three layers of thick carpet pad that my lovely wife sewed a multcam cover for. It rolls up and goes into a side pocket of my pack. I also vacuum sealed some frozen dinners for camp.
Wondered what other people are doing as it might remind me of something to put on my list to do?

Last edited:
OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
I'm kind of a procrastinator sometimes so I take it in bites. And not the most organized so...............

madgrad02

WKR
My daily mtntough mgd program before work, had meetings but still got in 30 floors of stairs with a 35lb plate in my pack, and just getting home from karate class I take with the kids...

I debated today on if I want to hunt Mule Deer or Elk over Labor Day weekend. Still not sure. I found a monster mulie in January but could only hunt Coues at the time.

Last edited:

Jaquomo

WKR
Wife and I ebiked 15 miles up a mountain and back on a rough trail, then did free weight PT reps and stretching for the shoulder, then shot a few arrows, then had an Irish Whiskey on the deck looking over the valley. Typical day. Getting old and doing this elk thing, solo, requires a lot more effort than it did 20 years ago....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I shot a couple arrows with BH's. That's more than I've done the rest of the summer combined to get ready. Just not all that motivated this year. It is what it is.

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
Wife and I ebiked 15 miles up a mountain and back on a rough trail, then did free weight PT reps and stretching for the shoulder, then shot a few arrows, then had an Irish Whiskey on the deck looking over the valley. Typical day. Getting old and doing this elk thing, solo, requires a lot more effort than it did 20 years ago....
Tell me about it, getting old sucks.

Loper

WKR
Went to bed early last night at 8:15 pm and still overslept. Realized I didn’t have time to go to the gym before work so I rucked with 40 pounds for 3.5 miles in my neighborhood.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Woke up early, got a quick work out In. Then got my pack all set for some pack training tomorrow morning before work.

I sit here writing this while beer In hand so there’s that. So the prep isn’t going perfect.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Only ate one corn dog at the fair tonight.
Seriously, repacked my pack and added 10# to it. Leaving for another job tomorrow, so taking it with me.

I've been rucking 50 pounds at lunch for 2.5 miles.

I quit alcohol, sweets, caffeine, chips (seed oils), basically eating meat and fruit and vegetables to get in tip-top shape for the month of August. I eat pretty clean but wanted to take it up a notch.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Nothing. Too busy getting ready for a sheep hunt which opens 14 days before my elk hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ordered a Slik Sling this morning because I'm in the middle of moving and can't remember where I packed away the sling I've been using. Did a 15 minute step-up session with a 50# pack at lunch. Traced out routes in Google Earth to a few new spots I might want to try. Fixing to subdivide and freeze a batch of elk chili for camp meals.