What did you do today to get ready for Elk season?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Wife and I ebiked 15 miles up a mountain and back on a rough trail, then did free weight PT reps and stretching for the shoulder, then shot a few arrows, then had an Irish Whiskey on the deck looking over the valley. Typical day. Getting old and doing this elk thing, solo, requires a lot more effort than it did 20 years ago....
Sounds like a heck of a day!

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
OP good thread. (Besides the silly responses or even the humble brag)

I shot the bow, packed the vehicle gear box (emergency/flat gear etc) and had to drink a beer after checking the weather-it’s gonna be HOT in my area.
Tomorrow is gear dump-junk on a bunk style to make sure I have it all.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I guess all I have done other than staying fit, and getting the smoke pole shooting straight is gathering up the vittles ( from Costco/ Amazon) and getting my pack set up, and plenty of calling practice.

Fowl Play

WKR
Picked up my bow from the shop after getting the limbs replaced. Precaution after some damage for peace of mind. Added a few extra goodies to it, and increased the poundage by 5lbs, since I’ll already have to re-sight it in. Shot it through paper just to verify everything’s good — perfect. Should be a quick sight in process. I’m a month out.

3 mile run and dumped all the gear on the basement floor to sort and pack. Time to get after it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got paid to do some leg strengthening exercises. Up and down ladders the entire day. Stared at topo maps tonight until I was cross eyed.

PAE8824

FNG
A quick look at the calendar tells me I have two weeks left until opening day. I have been doing the normal things like shooting my bow and hiking with a weighted pack. Those I do pretty much year round.
Today I made a sit5ting pad with three layers of thick carpet pad that my lovely wife sewed a multcam cover for. It rolls up and goes into a side pocket of my pack. I also vacuum sealed some frozen dinners for camp.
Wondered what other people are doing as it might remind me of something to put on my list to do?
Hiked the best vertical I got in my neck of the woods (400 foot gain in about 1/2 mile )- went up and down twice then tacked on another 3 miles all with 60# on my back. Shot about 30 arrows from 20-80 yds.

Need to review the gear for the 3rd time and get it packed to see where I am at.

TheHammer

WKR
Some kettlebell squats, lunges and burpees. Like most mornings incorporated into my morning routine, did a 25minute ruck w/86lbs at 1230, jumped on the trampoline as I was grilling dinner for the family, then took the kids out with their bikes and I rucked a few miles. Now I just did some core work, push ups and stretches like every night. Shot my bow tonight. Listened to elk hunting and personal development podcasts while working. Did some visualization on ideal success situation and breath work.

Did some chores and went to the range to do some pistol work. I’m not hunting this year, so I’m not much into getting ready.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Shot a handful of arrows….at 90 yds. Not sure why. But some good things I saw at that distance. Need to focus more. Group wasn’t horrible but no plan to hunt there.

One hour incline on the treadmill while at work. One of few options for a flat lander to gain elevation.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I found my daughter in the driveway yesterday jumping rope. I said "Hmmm, working to show me up this year, huh"? Perhaps I'll do some jumping rope as well the next few weeks.