What do you do with the carcass after the hunt?

Older thread but with CWD, wether present currently in your area or not, if you remove from location it was harvested, it should go in a landfill.

Killing something 30-40 miles from home, bringing it back and then pitching out back is actually pretty terrible, even if you are "feeding" critters. They generally have plenty of roadkill anyways.

JRPrev

FNG
I hand mine from a tree near our bird feeders. Lots of birds like the fat and tissue during the winter and will pick clean. Then I throw in the pond for small fish structure.

Same here. The woodpeckers feed on it all winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
Landfills or areas specifically for carcasses in CWD areas is best. The USDA requires all parts of beef that can carry mad cow (BSE) to be disposed of in the way as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I carry it to the edge of the field behind my house and occasionally get to shoot a coyote scavenging off of it. Placing a trail camera overlooking it usually provides some interesting pics as well.

LostArra

WKR
I carry it to the edge of the field behind my house and occasionally get to shoot a coyote scavenging off of it. Placing a trail camera overlooking it usually provides some interesting pics as well.
The coyotes here are camera shy. They pull the carcass away from the cameras field of view almost everytime.

OverlandOnTheFly

Lil-Rokslider
Once I get off my lazy ass, I’m bringing mine out back and doing the same thing. No positive cases of CWD here(w-mass).

Returning the resource reminds me of fishing in Canada, where they want he entrails put back in the lake for the lake critters to utilize. Good policy!

I had a poacher shoot a buck in my field, found it a month later in a small depression, looking for a deer a bud shot.

I put it where i could see it from my kitchen table and then watched the bald eagles rip it apart. Those birds are super strong.

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
Like the Outlaw Josie Wales said: “buzzards gotta eat,too. Same as worms”. But no CWD in our part of MS. We dump them in an unobtrusive spot and let the scavengers scavenge.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Drive just a little ways out of town and toss it into the bushes. Don’t see any reason not to, the sump requires us to take them to a different area and charges you for a whole load even if you just have a bag of moose bones so I just toss them in the Forrest, I mean that’s likely where they would end up if I had have killed the animal.

People cry about it “it’s going to attract bears”. Well why is that a problem 6-7 miles outside of town in the Alaskan Bush, far from any place people randomly hang out???

Anyways I usually do it under the cover of darkness.

DComer_55

Lil-Rokslider
If I have no reason to believe the animal had CWD I'll dispose of it somewhere that I can easily see any coyotes trying to come and score a snack.

If I feel it has CWD I'd burn in on a brush pile most likely.

Drive just a little ways out of town and toss it into the bushes. Don’t see any reason not to, the sump requires us to take them to a different area and charges you for a whole load even if you just have a bag of moose bones so I just toss them in the Forrest, I mean that’s likely where they would end up if I had have killed the animal.

People cry about it “it’s going to attract bears”. Well why is that a problem 6-7 miles outside of town in the Alaskan Bush, far from any place people randomly hang out???

Anyways I usually do it under the cover of darkness.

Nowhere near Alaska, however that's the problem we have here. People dump them on my property all the time, pisses me off. It's ruined a few guard dogs. I have livestock guardians that of course get attracted to the carcasses, normally not far off the road because people are lazy. Causes the dogs to roam, then people start paying them attention which they aren't supposed to get. Supposed to be bonded to the livestock, but people start loving on them.

Basically unless it's your property, don't dump on it. Even if it is, still not a good idea. Saying you don't have cwd means it isn't there yet, and transportation only increases the spread. It's in areas I'm sure that aren't labeled as cwd areas because it hasn't been sampled yet.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nowhere near Alaska, however that's the problem we have here. People dump them on my property all the time, pisses me off. It's ruined a few guard dogs. I have livestock guardians that of course get attracted to the carcasses, normally not far off the road because people are lazy. Causes the dogs to roam, then people start paying them attention which they aren't supposed to get. Supposed to be bonded to the livestock, but people start loving on them.

Basically unless it's your property, don't dump on it. Even if it is, still not a good idea. Saying you don't have cwd means it isn't there yet, and transportation only increases the spread. It's in areas I'm sure that aren't labeled as cwd areas because it hasn't been sampled yet.

There’s no livestock and I dogs where I dump it. I’ve gone back to look after a few days it’s it’s picked clean by birds, foxes etc, it’s also not any bodies private property. I’m going to keep doing it.

I work for the PGC and I can tell you that we hate when people dump the carcasses along the edge of our gamelands parking lots. The worst is the guys that leave it in bags and dump it. Just bag it and put it in the trash.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
I drag mine about 50 yards away from the hanging/cleaning rack. My private property. Don’t understand the CWD concern. I’ve never known deer to feed on deer carcasses, and I’ve put trailcams on them to see what does.

The only time I move a whole carcass is if I need some shade or on a severe incline and then I drag it to the nearest flat spot. Bone out in the field and pack out. Every once in a blue moon I might pack out whole hindquarters if I wanna make bone broth and I am within a couple miles of the truck, but 95% of the time I shuck them off the bone into poachers roasts and carry on. I try not to carry inedible weight.

I drag mine about 50 yards away from the hanging/cleaning rack. My private property. Don’t understand the CWD concern. I’ve never known deer to feed on deer carcasses, and I’ve put trailcams on them to see what does.

To make it short and sweet it's not about what feeds on the carcass, but what happens to the prions. The prions of scrapie and CWD can leach into the soil and remain for a good while, then be picked up later.