What do you do with the carcass after the hunt?

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I usually gut, skin, and bone out quarters wherever the animal dies so carcass stays in that spot. After years of dragging animals, hanging overnight, transporting whole, kinning after hanging, ect, I have come to realize that it's better and easier to just take 2.5 hours to start and finish the entire job. Add .5 hours and the boned out meat cuts are separated and bagged for freezing.

pirogue

WKR
Seems like most of us do what our fathers, and grandfathers have always done. Both my grandparents had rural farms, and would never have heard of a landfill.

pirogue

WKR
To make it short and sweet it's not about what feeds on the carcass, but what happens to the prions. The prions of scrapie and CWD can leach into the soil and remain for a good while, then be picked up later.

Scientists believe CWD proteins (prions) likely spread between animals through body fluids like feces, saliva, blood, or urine, either through direct contact or indirectly through environmental contamination of soil, food or water.
Seems like these scientists need to pick up pee and poop 24/7/365, instead of worry about a carcass.

Scientists believe CWD proteins (prions) likely spread between animals through body fluids like feces, saliva, blood, or urine, either through direct contact or indirectly through environmental contamination of soil, food or water.
Seems like these scientists need to pick up pee and poop 24/7/365, instead of worry about a carcass.

I'll agree but we don't need to speed the process up. Point is don't transport.

In domestic animals we have stopped the spread.

We are also dealing with problems from invasive species that previous generations created.

I leave carcasses in areas (away from homes, roads) where the coyotes and other scavengers can put it to good use.

I roll it up in a garbage bag and toss it in the ditch on a backroad, or maybe in the corner of my local wildlife area parking lot.

Just kidding I don’t, but seems like many people around here do. I live on a remote backroad, pet peeve.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Usually just pick a good spot on the edge of a field out of the way and dump it there. Always interesting to see how far stuff gets drug off.

I bag it up and put it out with the trash. The gut pile usually gets buried at the edge of my yard and dug up awhile later by racoons, cats, or coyotes. If I am far from home I'll gut it in the woods and leave it for the critters.

OverlandOnTheFly

Lil-Rokslider
I roll it up in a garbage bag and toss it in the ditch on a backroad, or maybe in the corner of my local wildlife area parking lot.

Just kidding I don’t, but seems like many people around here do. I live on a remote backroad, pet peeve.
Sounds like the anuses who bag up their dog shit in a non biodegradable bag and tie it to a branch, or toss it to the side of the trail. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I live in pennsylvania and hunt here as well as a couple bordering states and kansas or iowa when I draw tags. It is illegal to import a carcass into pennsylvania from all states I hunt. As well we have interstate CWD zones which ban export or import from or to that zone.

I quarter them where they drop. It is the recommendation of all state agencies I have contacted to do exactly this.

JGuest

FNG
We usually gut and then hang our carcasses for 10-14 days in a cool area. Dad has a dumpster on his commercial rental so they go into a city garbage can or his dumpster to the city. I was taught to age them with the hide on.

At that point it's just a bag of bones, and some wastage meat. Hides get cured and processed. We gut in the same area every time and stake the guts so we can get a few coyotes.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
head, hoofs, and gut pile stay in the field. I pack out meat as bone-in as I can carry on my back.
meat gets boned out at home. butcher it in my garage and vac pack it.
bones all get chopped up with a sawzall and then boiled for bone broth. The boiled bones go to the curb with the trash can -> but only on trash day otherwise I'll get bears in my yard.