Lakes in CO to hike into to fish

Luked

WKR
Can any of you all give me some ideas on where to fish some higher lakes in CO that I can hike in and camp at?
Wife and I are planning a vacation for a week in CO and i have always wanted to hike in to a lake and camp for a few days.
With not being out there much its a little tough to know where to go as from some reading some lakes will have fish and some will not.
If anyone has some to do some research on i would really appriciate it.
If you prefer to PM that is fine also.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Hey man, our spots are already nuked… there are books out there, I recommend googling high country trout fishing Colorado or colorados secret alpine lakes lots of them on this exact topic. Have had no less than 8-10 of my favorite spots blown up so my lips good luck. Tons and tons of lakes to backpack into

MHB

FNG
As the above post states we have had a lot of our good spots have been blown out. Colorado is a very large state with a ton of lakes and fish-able water. You might start by narrowing down an area of the state you want to visit.

What time of year are you planning for this trip?

What is your backpacking experience (not trying to be a d!ck) but a 5 day adventure is a rough way to start.

How far of a hike/backpack trip are you willing to take?

Are you looking for an out and back or a loop that would take multiple days?

Where are you from? Are you used to the strains of altitude? Are you planning acclamation days?

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Not planning a 5 day deal. Think the wife would scoff at that some.
Looking for maybe 2 nights tops.
Mainly looking for an out and back hike. 5-6 miles total give or take a bit.
Have a little back packing experience but not like most here but i think ill be good for a few nights.
From missouri so the altitude could be a problem but we will be staying at family house which is at 7k for a few days to acclimate some.
Time of year is May-June area
I understand that its like hunting and is blown up pretty much everywhere. But i am not looking for trophy fishing or anything like that. Wife wants to hike and camp, as do I and i would also like to fish as well. The fishing part is just a bonus to the hiking and camping but would love to catch some while we are there.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Let me know the part of the state you are visiting and I can pm you something likely

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
The easiest places to get to are going to be the most crowded. If you are looking into the Front Range you will need a camping permit as well most likely. If you are just looking to catch any little brookie you shouldn't have a problem finding a spot to fish. Our alpine cutthroat lakes are sacred anymore and mostly best kept a secret. Most all Colorado streams and lakes that are on your basic maps up to 12,000' will hold at least have brook trout.

Not exactly what you’re looking for but the wife and I did a horseback ride / fishing trip with Halfmoon Outfitters out of Leadville - it was incredible. If you’re in the area, great way to spend a day!

wyogoat

WKR
I agree with the above comment…June may be early. Depends on the snow. If you can promise it’s a once every once in a while thing and you don’t post coordinates on your social media and interested in RMNP area shoot me a PM. I know just the spot as far as fish and the hike.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the above comment…June may be early. Depends on the snow. If you can promise it’s a once every once in a while thing and you don’t post coordinates on your social media and interested in RMNP area shoot me a PM. I know just the spot as far as fish and the hike.
I guess if we're blowing out spots in states we don't live, I could go ahead and give you quite a few in Wyoming...

Like was stated before, there's a TON of high alpine lakes in Colorado, almost any one you go to will have AT LEAST brook trout, pick your distance and head out. As stated above, May/June you WILL still have iced over lakes.

WTFJohn

WKR
I guess if we're blowing out spots in states we don't live, I could go ahead and give you quite a few in Wyoming...

Like was stated before, there's a TON of high alpine lakes in Colorado, almost any one you go to will have AT LEAST brook trout, pick your distance and head out. As stated above, May/June you WILL still have iced over lakes.

Not to mention most high alpine lakes/streams are fun distractions on summer scouting trips. Loose lips sink ships.

wyogoat

WKR
I’d give a Wyoming spot but he specified Colorado. And it’s no huge secret so calm down. It’s not your honey hole.

def90

WKR
Can any of you all give me some ideas on where to fish some higher lakes in CO that I can hike in and camp at?
Wife and I are planning a vacation for a week in CO and i have always wanted to hike in to a lake and camp for a few days.
With not being out there much its a little tough to know where to go as from some reading some lakes will have fish and some will not.
If anyone has some to do some research on i would really appriciate it.
If you prefer to PM that is fine also.

What part of Co will you be in? CPW stocks a ton of mtn lakes every year. You can pretty much look at any hiking trail map and if a trail has a lake at the end of it it has probably been stocked with fish.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Depending on how CO changes the out of state OTC tags next year I might be willing to let loose a few lakes I know of.

Poser

WKR

Your experience is really “almost any” alpine lake will have fish in it? Those lakes have to deep enough for the fish to survive winter and many of them don’t have the right conditions for reproduction so they have to be stocked somewhat frequently and given that the more remote lakes are stocked by airplane, there are a lot of empty alpine lakes out there.

Not planning a 5 day deal. Think the wife would scoff at that some.
Looking for maybe 2 nights tops.
Mainly looking for an out and back hike. 5-6 miles total give or take a bit.
Have a little back packing experience but not like most here but i think ill be good for a few nights.
From missouri so the altitude could be a problem but we will be staying at family house which is at 7k for a few days to acclimate some.
Time of year is May-June area
I understand that its like hunting and is blown up pretty much everywhere. But i am not looking for trophy fishing or anything like that. Wife wants to hike and camp, as do I and i would also like to fish as well. The fishing part is just a bonus to the hiking and camping but would love to catch some while we are there.

Go to RMNP and pick a lake to hike to and get a backcountry camping permit and have fun.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Your experience is really “almost any” alpine lake will have fish in it? Those lakes have to deep enough for the fish to survive winter and many of them don’t have the right conditions for reproduction so they have to be stocked somewhat frequently and given that the more remote lakes are stocked by airplane, there are a lot of empty alpine lakes out there.
Guess that's why you do your own homework :)