What gear are you replacing in 2021?

Southeast

FNG
I'm changing out much of my camo for non-camo options (especially pants). I guess I'm over the whole "greatest new camo" thing. Expect to see a bunch of Kuiu items for sale here this summer!

All of my Drake and other duck clothes with Sitka, Kuiu and First lite pieces. I'm halfway there.

Rangefinder shopping as well.

I rarely upgrade because gear that has proved the test of time is typically reliable gear. My 1993 Dana Designs pack can still carry more meat than I would dare carry. My old commercial fishing raingear is still my go-to rain gear for really wet hunts. My Leki trekking poles are over 25 years old. My mountain tent has survived many wind storms, so it is still my go-to tent even after 25 years. My rifles are Remington 700s from the 1980s each with the same 3X9 Leopold scopes.

My last upgrade was a switch from optical chronograph which can be finicky at low sun angles of Alaska to a magnetospeed chronograph.

Mosby

WKR
I rarely upgrade because gear that has proved the test of time is typically reliable gear. My 1993 Dana Designs pack can still carry more meat than I would dare carry. My old commercial fishing raingear is still my go-to rain gear for really wet hunts. My Leki trekking poles are over 25 years old. My mountain tent has survived many wind storms, so it is still my go-to tent even after 25 years. My rifles are Remington 700s from the 1980s each with the same 3X9 Leopold scopes.

My last upgrade was a switch from optical chronograph which can be finicky at low sun angles of Alaska to a magnetospeed chronograph.
New isn't always better. A lot to be said for keeping gear you can trust.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m Replacing my original HPG Umlindi pack for the newer version V2 Umlindi pack For day trips. Looking at upgrading my nikons for alpha binos.

I put a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 on one of my rifles. I had one when they first came out and sold it, a few scopes later I finally realized I didn't know what I had when I had it. So I bought a new one (with exposed elevation turret and even better illumination) and I'm quite happy about it. I prefer it to all the other scopes I've had, some of which cost twice as much as it.

Other than that there's not much more I don't have. I'll be getting a Sig Kilo2200 rangefinder and a cold weather hunting jacket, probably a First Lite brand one to go with my other clothing. Last year was the year where I really got my hunting clothing and binoculars/tripod completely locked down. This year there's only a couple other little things that I mentioned but otherwise I have everything covered at this point.

Last edited:

psp8ball

FNG
I'm replacing my boots, which I should have done last year. Hanwag Makra Trek
I'm also replacing my sidearm for something more bear appropriate. 460 rowland conv. or 454 casull
Then I'm probably going to need to find a replacement wife if she finds out how much a gun and some boots cost. :)

My main plan for this year is to finally take the leap and get a WM Antelope bag to replace my Sierra Designs Zissou 12. I had a couple nights down into the teens with the Zissou and definitely felt the cold and lost some sleep because of it. Other than that I've been pretty happy with most of my gear and can't justify anymore "needs". I'll be adding a fleece midlayer this year to see how I like that over a merino base layer instead of layering two merino shirts like I have in the past.

Gonna upgrade my tripod for better glassing.

New arrow and sight setup for my hunting bow.
Gonna upgrade the wife’s rifle, stock, barrel, trigger to fit her better.
Mostly upgrading the wife’s equipment so she’s more comfortable and deadly.
A few more better pieces of clothing for different times of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcaplinger199

FNG
Classified Approved
Already bought a KRG bravo for my Tikka. Need to get a new pair of binos. Thinking about Maven.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
Carrot farmer,
Ha...just caught your message. Not really interested in the Vortex 12x50's Thanks...

I also replaced my Becker knife with a Genesis scandi ground knife from LT Wright knifes

Went from the 11-33 razor to the 16-48 razor. The weight/size penalty will be well worth it.

Swaro STM 65 to STX 95 with APO camera adapter, air matters with a Helinox Cot (might regret TBD)
want to add a tarp of sorts to the kit. Hoyt Rx4 with Prime Nexus 2. that should be most of it. for this year.

UGQ Bandit XL 20 degree quilt to replace an old North Face synthetic bag. The quilt is lighter, warmer, and fits me much better than that old mummy bag.

Soto Windmaster to replace my Jetboil. I like the Jetboil and it'll reside in my truck fulltime for day hunt usage, but it weighs 14.7 oz. while the Soto with a 650ml Toaks titanium pot weigh in at a combined 5.1 oz. That's a no brainer for weight savings while on a backpack hunt.
Want to know an even lighter, more efficient setup? Replace the Soto Windmaster, which is quite large, with the titanium BRS 300-T stove from Amazon. Take your Jetboil and cut the upper third off of it to reduce the weight and size. This will be much lighter than the Soto route and waaay more efficient as the stove arms fit up inside the heat exchanger. You'll use far less gas and boil quicker. Or, just use the BRS with the ti cup. I have the Soto and will never take it backpack hunting anymore.

Nikon Prostaff 5 4-20 BDC turned into a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15
Nikon Aculon 8x42's turned into Leupold BX-4 HD 10x42
Osprey Hiking Pack to Stone Glacier 5900
No Name Base and Mid Layers became Kuiu 115 Merino and Strongleece 240
Silencerco Harvester (If I get Form 3 approved in time, otherwise it'll be a 2022 present to myself)

Currently working on a hand loads to replace the factory load I've been using. It's been an expensive off season...