What gear are you replacing in 2021?

snel6424

FNG
2021 season upgrades

I’ll be replacing my 6.5 creedmoore with the new 6.8 western. Just more ideal for what I hunt out here in Alberta.

Replacing my entry level green ring leupold scope with a Maven CS.1. From the research I’ve done the glass is amazing and beats any glass in its price point. On top of having an amazing warranty like vortex. I did compare it to other models like the vortex viper HD etc... and it just can’t be beat in my mind.

Replacing the glass on my browning X Bolt 30-06. For years I ran a very basics vortex diamondback 3.5X10X50mm. It did the job at the time. But now I’m putting a leupold VX3i 3.4X10X40mm CDS ZL with some tally rings. I wanted a scope that was still budget friendly. Hence the VX3i and not a VX5 or VX6. I didn’t increase the magnification because I find this to be the perfect scope for the mountain/foothills I hunt in Alberta. Most shots I take are within that 200 yard range. But I’ll be comfortable take a shot at a greater distance if the need arises. Another reason I went with this scope is the custom turret you can get done.

The last thing I’ll be upgrading is my sleep system. As a larger guy with very wide shoulders I find sleeping in a sleeping back uncomfortable and just difficult to get in and out of. I’ve read about a sleeping quilt and so far my research has lead me to Enlightened custom sleeping quilts. However, that being said the stone glacier sleeping bag is apparently very spacious. So that might be another option.

Lastly, I’ll be upgrading my apla Outdoorz commander X pack to the Kuiu pro 3600. Just the weight difference along is worth the upgrade.
SG sleeping bag has incredible dwr treatment as well. But if you're gonna switch to a quilt, I would check this post out. Really solid comparison of several different quilt makers

SItka Bino harness to the SG one and now the Marsupial enclosed. I prefer the marsupial and their gear seems very well built. SGs side pockets were too small for my likings

BD Alpine FLZ to Leki Micro Vario Carbon Strongs as ive broken two pairs in the exact same spot each time. Which the Alpine corks came longer out to 140cm.

Kuiu System to a Kifaru Duplex Lite/Muskeg 7000 kit. I’ve pushed the Kuiu to the limits and found where it doesn’t work for my body type. The system has been ran for a few months now hauling weight for training and it blows the Kuiu out of the water comfort wise. Thrilled I invested in that system.

originally was going to save up for a set of 10x RF swaros but in leaning towards adding a set of 12x NL to the kit. Open country/alpine work is where I feel limited with 8.5s.
Keep tossing around the idea of selling my 8.5els for a set of 8NL

Last edited:

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
1) Boots are at the top of my list, I need a muck type boot, I can feel drafts through my current ones. I also want to get a set of walking boots for turkey hunting, mushroom hunting and shed hunting, thats why my knee highs are in such terrible shape.
2) Optimus Polaris to replace a jetboil
3) Build a mono pod trekking pole
4) Rock climbing harness to replace normal treestand harness to gain mobility. I have sets in really goofy trees and normal harnesses limit me because I try and stay tucked behind a cluster of trees.

I'm eying new boots. My Lowa Camino GTX's aren't bad, but they've always rubbed my heels (thank goodness for Luekotape). Considering some Crispi Nevadas.

Laned

WKR
Replacing my Mpowered inflatable, solar-charging lantern/usb charger with a Luminaid one. Forgot when I got the Mpowered that the low temp limit is 32°F. Shuts off when it gets close. The Luminaid has a low temp limit of 0°F and a red light function. My buddy's Luminaid stayed on while my Mpowered shut off at our spike camp last Fall.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

For me, it’s as follows:
- New EDC/Hunting backpack, looking to upgrade to the Kifaru Shape Charge.
- Strongly considering new binoculars, something more powerful than my current 10x42’s.
- Keep thinking about our kill kit and specifically the knives we have available in the field, so most likely an upgrade here to a knife kit to round out the field work.

Replacing my Vortex binoculars with Ziess. Binoculars are my primary optics, so the upgrade will pair well with my Outdoorsmans binocular adapter.

also new Vortex tripod not sure which model yet..suggestions?
I got the Vortex Summit last year based on a recommendation and my overall budget. It's very lightweight which makes it easy to pack around. The drawback to that is it's overall stability, but works excellent for my needs.

What gear are you guys replacing in 2021 and why? Here’s my list:

1.Kuiu Mountain Star. Great tent but someone stole mine. I’m thinking about getting a SO with stove.

2.) Meopta Meostar S2 82mm Spotter. It’s been a great spotter for me but it’s time to upgrade to the Swaro ATX.

3.) Manfrotto 128RC Fluid Head. Great head but it’s heavy.

4.) Black Diamond Storm Headlamp. It failed me on a pack out, not sure if the headlamp was to blame or the cold. It was about zero degrees. I just stated testing the Fenix HL60R.
Probably going to update my pack thinking about switching to Kuiu.

Well I bought a new Bog Pod for spotting and shooting because apparently my last one is laying up near where I quartered my bull.

Also went from an Alaska Guide Creations bino pouch to a Badlands because I wanted a pocket for my rangefinder.

It’s time for new boots too. It'll be either Kenetrek Mountain Extremes or Crispi Wild Rock Plus. Probably the Kenes. My last pair lasted for years.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
I replaced my older Quest Amp bow with a Bowtech Reckoning and now tweaking around with arrows and probably going Iron Will with broadheads.... So I'm out of money. I better not replace anything else this year. I grabbed a bunch of Sitka and KUIU clothing last year, plus a Mystery Ranch PopUp 38. I love stimulating the economy.

Usi05

WKR
Replaced Klymit static v lite with big Agnes q core slx.

I want to switch my tripod head. I have vortex tripod and adapter for my vipers but it was cumbersome. Want to try a different head.

Used sawyer mini last year but water took forever so I may try full size sawyer or another system.

Tempted to ditch jetboil to run smaller stove and save weight.

Also adding a tent to shelter arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk