What gun to choose?

Fulker250

FNG
My grandpa is getting old and called today to say that for Christmas I can pick a gun out of his collection. I hunt upland birds and deer regularly. I am in the process of moving west and would like to hopefully start to hunt western game. I already have a .270 win, 30-30win, .223, and 25-06

A6C31153-7167-4C9A-974E-F267B7C9AE40.jpeg

My grandpa is getting old and called today to say that for Christmas I can pick a gun out of his collection. I hunt upland birds and deer regularly. I am in the process of moving west and would like to hopefully start to hunt western game. I already have a .270 win, 30-30win, .223, and 25-06

View attachment 240402
First one on the list!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Browning SxS 20ga, Browning Superposed 12ga or Browning X-Bolt Medallion in .243 Win.

A .243, .25-‘06 and .270 Win covers all Western game quite nicely.

You’re going to want to hunt Chukar, Huns and California Quail any day you possibly can after you get out here. Take one of those two Browning shotguns, get yourself a big-running English Setter or Pointer and enjoy it.

I‘d pick one of those 2 browning 20 gauges in a heartbeat. sxs or o/u, whichever you prefer to shoot.

If you end up wanting more rifle than your 270, you can always pick up a good shooting cheap rifle (like a Tikka, etc) down the road.

I would say the 300 wsm with swaro if a rifle is what you want. But based on what you have, I would say the Browning 12 superposed, or the Citori..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

View attachment 240402
Wow lucky you! That’s a tough choice. I’m a 30-06 fan . Cant go wrong with it.

Agree with the folks on the bird gun but I would have my eye on that 270 wsm or 300 wsm for a top end rifle cartridge. Although your 270 would cover it. Maybe you could get the shotgun and then buy one of WSM for a reasonable price from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd get the nicest Browning O/U he has on the list. Those Superposed fetch a pretty penny.

You can buy a soulless 30-06 off the rack to handle all your big game needs, but in my mind nothing can top a good shotgun for sentimentality. Get one of those shotguns recommended above and have something you can pass down to your grandchildren.

Back